32 replies to this topic

#21 Baphom3t

Baphom3t

I Put That Shit On Everything!

• VIP
  • 697 posts

Donator

Posted 18 February 2021 - 12:20 PM

I've always found fresh seem to onset faster and have a higher probability to be more intense.
I second TV's assessment of Fresh vs. Dry no matter if they were wild or grown indoors. There is also talk about closed cap vs. open cap, stem vs. cap, and blah, blah, blah. This sort of debate has been going on since I can remember.
Is it not possible the atmospheric/meteorological conditions in the grow area affect potency as each grow that is done, is done under slightly different conditions. I.E, the difference between outside being 85 with 80% humidity compared to 72 with 70% humidity should in essence relate to potency.
This is an interesting topic. I look to see where this goes.

Edited by Baphom3t, 18 February 2021 - 12:21 PM.

#22 Moby

Moby

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 299 posts

Posted 18 February 2021 - 12:39 PM

I think the thought of fresh = more potent compared to dry is not only logic, its reality, isn't it?

Here something from a study about alkaloid contend in the caps vs stems:

"The fruiting bodies were separated into caps and stipes to determine the tryptamine concentrations in these mushroom parts. These experiments were performed on dried fungal fruiting bodies in six replicates. On average, the caps contained 0.01 wt.% of aeruginascin, 0.07 wt.% of baeocystin, 0.88 wt.% of psilocybin, 0.01 wt.% of norbaeocystin, and 0.06 wt.% of psilocin. In stipes, we found <0.01 wt.% aeruginascin, 0.03 wt.% baeocystin, 0.47 wt.% psilocybin, <0.01 wt.% norbaeocystin, and 0.01 wt.% psilocin. There was approximately 50 % less baeocystin, psilocybin, and norbaeocystin in the stipes than in the caps. The stipes contained 32 % less aeruginascin and 85 % less psilocin than the caps. The total content of tryptamine alkaloids in the stipes was approximately 50 % less than in the caps. These results are slightly different from an older study, which states that the psilocin content is higher in the stipes than in the caps in P. cubensis, but a similar distribution of psilocybin (higher levels in the caps than in the stipes) was observed in Psilocybe samuiensis.52 Our results correspond with the published work.26 The parametric two-sample unpaired t-test with Welch correction in the R program found that the results were not statistically significant, as the p-value was 0.3756. This may be due to the large difference between the alkaloid concentrations in the individual fruiting bodies. This means that although the average content of tryptamines in caps is higher than in stipes, due to the SD, where there is high variability between individual fruiting bodies, it cannot be said that this statement applies to all fruiting bodies"

The result is that generally it was noticeable that the caps have roughly twice the amount of psilocybin than the stems but since strains are different and its hard to say if all strains produce fruits with this property, it yet can't be called as generally proven

• Microbe likes this

#23 FunG

FunG

certified something

• Banned Member
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 18 February 2021 - 03:30 PM

Moby, you are a asset to this forum and community!

I've read similar research studies that also concluded the same findings so what your posting must be accurate as it can be.

I like a good technical read from time to time, I'm just a dumbed down grower, this is where peoples education comes out to shine.
Clearly some of you are either attending or have graduated university or college grade bio chemistry courses cause the info I've been reading is obviously advanced studies.
  • Microbe and Moby like this

#24 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,627 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 February 2021 - 06:41 PM

Moby, you are a asset to this forum and community!

I've read similar research studies that also concluded the same findings so what your posting must be accurate as it can be.

I like a good technical read from time to time, I'm just a dumbed down grower, this is where peoples education comes out to shine.
Clearly some of you are either attending or have graduated university or college grade bio chemistry courses cause the info I've been reading is obviously advanced studies.

There are some people here with degrees but the bulk of us are autodidact in our own research and studies. There some really advanced shit that can be applied to really make things interesting and fun. For example one my primary focus was on bacteria floras and symbiotic relationships inside the culture and in substrates to increase fruiting potential. Don't ask, its buried in my bipolar thread "Microbe Randoms" and i was going through some serious shit at the time, and even though a mod cleaned it up a little for me, it still gets a little wonky or WTF just happened moments lol. There some good topics in there and most of my dialogue pertaining to it, is anecdotal.

You read about something and then you come across something else you need to read to be able to connect the dots and its a vicious cycle and one can easily find themselves deep in the rabbit hole.

If you find yourself in that thread and want to discuss something, tag me in a quote as i don't always get alerts on taptalk or they are delayed. Or you can always DM me.

Anyway keep doing your thing. I can see that you have a good skill set.
  • sandman, Baphom3t, FunG and 1 other like this

#25 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 2,159 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 February 2021 - 11:39 PM

Is there a lemon tek for freshies? I tried eating 30 g fresh the other day and my stomach pushed them all the way through my gut in 10 mins. I ended up with teeth chattering chills, but none of the good stuff you'd want.

Do people make shakes with freshies? Wonder if it would help with the digestion part of it

#26 FunG

FunG

certified something

• Banned Member
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 19 February 2021 - 01:07 AM

You can hot water extract blue juice from fresh mushrooms (the water actually pigments blue) but only if they're fresh, dried and it's a brown color. But anyways.

I use to poor it into a empty 2L pop bottle and cap it tight to preserve the blue color. Itll stay blue along as the cap is placed on tight after each use but anyways. I'd use the extract to make everything from coffee to hot chocolates, jellow, smoothies, cool aid etc

I find the extract easier on the stomach then eating dried tissue, fresh tissue also doesnt produce that heavy feeling in the gut.
  • Microbe, rockyfungus and Moby like this

#27 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 681 posts

Posted 19 February 2021 - 10:13 AM

Is there a lemon tek for freshies? I tried eating 30 g fresh the other day and my stomach pushed them all the way through my gut in 10 mins. I ended up with teeth chattering chills, but none of the good stuff you'd want.

Do people make shakes with freshies? Wonder if it would help with the digestion part of it

I've always made a tea with them. I bet you could chew em up real good, swallow the juice, and spit the fungi out (grosssssssss)

• Moby likes this

#28 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,005 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 February 2021 - 11:53 AM

LOOK UP Paul Stamets paper on ICE COLD WATER Extracting of freshies  .Paul called his idea he called it Blue Juice .. it'sa interesting paper.

here is a thread about Paul Stamets  Ice extraction of freshies .. seems Paul Stamets Disagrees with FunG  on how to do it .. hummm  ...  opinions vary heh

WHATCH THE VID  coorsMikey posted

https://mycotopia.ne...y-paul-stamets/

heres a good versionn

<iframe width="560" height="315" sandbox="allow-same-origin allow-scripts allow-popups" src="https://hyperreal.tu...63-dccfd31315cb" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Edited by bezevo, 19 February 2021 - 05:15 PM.

• Moonless likes this

#29 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,977 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 February 2021 - 01:53 PM

I remember years ago discovering the freshies-turn-water-blue by trial & error accident using a blender...

• post-104353-0-53889100-1549731628_thumb.

• post-104353-0-68375300-1549731655_thumb.

https://mycotopia.ne...-4#entry1395997

Also it's interesting to actually juice shrooms... In a wheat-grass style hand-cranked juicer you can easily separate the juice and the fiber.

https://mycotopia.ne...-3#entry1395868

post-104353-0-05114100-1477531025_thumb.

post-104353-0-77135400-1477531010_thumb.

post-104353-0-37477000-1477535800_thumb.

There is a movie of the first juicing!

Avi attachment:

https://mycotopia.ne...tach_id=1131432

In this experiment I paid no mind to keeping air/light away from the juice... I just wanted to see the process. This juicing was done with P.cyanescens. I'll try some with Redboy cube when I have some on hand. This was awhile ago and I can't quite remember if I tried freezing the juice or not. I believe I tried and it would not freeze and stayed "slushy" but I will have to repeat experiment.

Edited by hyphaenation, 19 February 2021 - 02:40 PM.

• sandman, Microbe, bezevo and 2 others like this

#30 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 2,159 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 February 2021 - 06:38 PM

I've always made a tea with them. I bet you could chew em up real good, swallow the juice, and spit the fungi out (grosssssssss)

Agreed, tea is my only method of ingestion these days. One can't help but wonder if your missing out on something by not digesting all of the mushroom though. That being said it sure didn't stop me from blasting off to planet 9 when I took and 8g tea dose a month ago. That seems to be my upper limit of effectiveness. The last few times I usually wake up on the floor and after a few minutes of trying to grasp reality I wonder what happened. It's sort of like waking up from a black out drunk, except in this case I feel fucking fantastic and have trippy visuals to look at. Anyone else have issues with time loss like that? I suppose I should mention I do smoke weed most of the time with mush but not sure what effect that would have at the higher doses

#31 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 681 posts

Posted 19 February 2021 - 06:45 PM

I've blacked out once when I was a young man. I'm a tiny tiny dude and it took 3-4 guys over 6 ft to hold me down while blacked out. They were ready to knock my ass out.

I had to put together every memory, sensation, synapse, sinew, fiber of my being to come back. I was stuck in an endless loop of me fractaling into my existence and remembering reality. Scared me away from Mush for years and I swore by acid only. Now I wont touch any blotters/liquid, you never know what RC it could be.

#32 ElPirana

ElPirana

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 742 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 February 2021 - 10:56 PM

I think somewhere in this thread there were comments related to MS grows being consistently good quality.  I've had some grows over the past year that have been poor in potency, but thinking back these have been a lot of grows from clones.  So maybe by bad luck I was picking a mushroom to clone that happened to have genetics with a weak potency.  It's just that cloning makes it sooo easy to keep grows going.... oh well. 

I just noc'd up some agar jars a few days ago w/ Alacab spores and have good growth already.  I'm going to use these to purely move forward as MS grows and not make any clones, maybe just make prints from choice mushrooms instead like TV mentioned.  I'm always willing to change things up.

• Baphom3t, coAsTal and jrh like this

#33 Sharonlovesu2

Sharonlovesu2

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 42 posts

Posted 25 February 2021 - 01:07 PM

The title says it, its a theory that I developed over time by putting different pieces together.

Feel free to throw your thoughts in here, to discuss or even to change my mind, I want to talk about it.

In MS grows (multispore) we have many strains present, agressive ones, trashy ones, extremely potent ones, strains that are not even able to produce fruits etc.

The organism is a complex and complicated system.
Anastomosis:

"In mycology, anastomosis is the fusion between branches of the same or different hyphae. Hence the bifurcating fungal hyphae can form true reticulating networks. By sharing materials in the form of dissolved ions, hormones, and nucleotides, the fungus maintains bidirectional communication with itself. The fungal network might begin from several origins; several spores, several points of penetration, each a spreading circumference of absorption and assimilation. Once encountering the tip of another expanding, exploring self, the tips press against each other in pheromonal recognition, fusing to form a genetic singular that can cover hectares called a genet.

For fungi, anastomosis is also sex. In some fungi, two different haploid mating types - if compatible - merge. Somatically, they form a morphologically similar mycelial wave front that continues to grow and explore. The significant difference, is that in each septated unit is binucleate, containing two unfused nuclei, i.e. one from each parent that do not undergo karyogamy."

'Better' strains fuse with 'lower quality' strains when the expanding tips meet each other and find compatible strains.

This not only happens when for example plates are inoculated with spores, it also happens when grain colonizes and when the colonized grain is broken up and mixed with whatever kind of bulk substrate.

The recolonizing parts (the whole thing) has mycelium colonizing into all directions and at parts that appear to be fully colonized there again the tips of the colonizing mycelium from every single grain meet the tips from the neigbor grain where possibly Anastomosis can happen.

To safe a genetic its common practice to take spore prints.

The present genetic in every spore print is directly influenced by the choice of the fruits we decide to print.

Here are the first pieces put together to get an idea of what I try to say.

If the genetic of our prints is influenced by the quality of the fruiting strains, then does growing MS grows, where constantly good with not so good strains fuse, not 'degenerate' our home grown genetics ?

I did read that freshly collected wild growing Cubensis are of much better quality than domesticated ones.

I could imagine that outside in alot rougher conditions only the strongest strains are able to survive and produce fruits.

They then drop spores and again only the toughest strains are able to survive and produce fruits (natural selection).

In our home lab setting we always give our best to provide the best possible conditions for spores on agar plates to germinate, for grain to colonize and to have optimal fruiting conditions.

Compared to the "natural growing Cubensis" in nature there is a huge difference because here in our home cultivation we also give weaker strains the opportunity to 'compete' and mix their genetic into 'the pot'.

By bulking we provide a second opportunity to mix weaker strains with 'better' ones.

For the case the theory is accurate, I'd like to throw a hypothesis into the room.

"Not only selecting strong mycelium from agar and sorting out weak strains prior to any fruiting, does work against the degeneration of all of the home grown varieties; also inoculating germination plates with heavily diluted spore solutions or just a tiny amount of spores (a needle tip) would also make sure that we have less potential to heavily mix up good with not so good genes."

Feel free to chime in and tell your thoughts or to change my mind, everyone is welcome

Brilliant topic, thank you.
I think this resonates with me as I'm extremely new to this craft and recently got my hands on tampanensis spores from an awesome seller ,as a gift I was given an additional spore print of a wild Florida cubensis strain so yay soo much more exciting than before. can I ask how you'd use it (the wild print?)
What would you suggest fora start? Always to agar? Thank you again for your topic.
  • Microbe likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!