• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 186 posts

Posted 18 February 2021 - 11:20 AM

Here's a quick tip for drying, split the stem lengthwise. It will cut drying time by about half. What's happening is the outside drys out and prevents the inside from releasing moisture. The caps are OK as is.
  • sandman, fahtster, TVCasualty and 1 other like this

#2 FunG

FunG

certified something

• Banned Member
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 18 February 2021 - 11:57 AM

I use to split the stems to get then to dry faster but then people starting questioning why the stems were split as if there was something wrong so I just stopped doing it.

Besides, the dehydrator on Max settings can dry abit over a oz in 8 hours. So I havnt had the need to split them but it's a very useful tip for people without a dehydrator funnyfarmer.

#3 sandman

sandman

That Motherfucker

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,000 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 February 2021 - 04:35 PM

Excellent tip FunnyFarmer

On some really large and meaty strains like PE this makes a really huge difference.

• TVCasualty and pastyoureyes like this

#4 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 908 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 February 2021 - 12:12 AM

I only felt the need to split PE strains, if the stems fit in between the dehydrator trays I leave them whole, otherwise split/remove caps.

#5 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,969 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 February 2021 - 07:57 AM

I like to pinch and roll the stems to open them up (pinching them somewhere close to the middle).

They split, sometimes into several strands, and also usually stay connected at the base which makes for cleaner storage later since as they dry they shrivel back up to where it can be really hard to tell they were split at all (so less material breaks off and ends up as mushroom shake). I can tear through a lot of stems real fast this way.

#6 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 186 posts

Posted 19 February 2021 - 09:28 AM

I always powder my shrooms and store in 4 oz Amber cosmetic jars from EBay with a desiccant packet. I stay away from the paper wrapped packet and go for the plastic ones. The paper ones will get coated with shroom powder in no time flat.

#7 jrh

jrh

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 437 posts

Posted 19 February 2021 - 11:22 AM

The dusty paper ones should still work, though, shouldn't they? And you can see the bead color to know they're still good, although I imagine they should never go bad in this use case.

Maybe now that I have jars of dried mushrooms I can justify getting a vacuum sealer.

#8 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 186 posts

Posted 19 February 2021 - 04:58 PM

The paper ones will work but they'll get covered with shroom dust, a shameful waste of shrooms in my opinion. I've got both paper and plastic covered ones and the clear plastic is easier to see the beads whereas I can't see the paper covered beads. And another possible reason, when they get so covered with shroom powder will they stop wicking up moisture? I've got a vacuum sealer and am shying away from using it cause I suspect it will suck out the shroom powder. Now if you put it in baggies first then vacuum seal it that's a different story. Everything I've read says shrooms will keep longer if they are powdered to reduce surface area exposure to O2. Now if you''re talking about whole dried shrooms that's a different matter but cracker dry is the word.

• jrh likes this

#9 jrh

jrh

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 437 posts

Posted 19 February 2021 - 05:19 PM

I don't know the best way to store shrooms. Honestly, it was never an issue until now. However, powdered shrooms definitely have more surface area than whole ones. I guess it's something I should look into soon.

#10 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,969 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 February 2021 - 07:57 PM

The dusty paper ones should still work, though, shouldn't they? And you can see the bead color to know they're still good, although I imagine they should never go bad in this use case.

Maybe now that I have jars of dried mushrooms I can justify getting a vacuum sealer.

DO NOT USE BLUE/PINK INDICATOR SILICA GEL TO DRY YOUR FUNGI!!

The indicator chemical is cobalt dichloride, a heavy metal salt. Some use methyl violet which is not as acutely toxic but is no picnic, either. It's not likely to contaminate fungi too much unless it contacts the fungi directly, but dust happens and with heavy metals ANY is usually too much.

Orange/Green indicator gel (orange=dry green=saturated) is non-toxic, as is clear/undyed. I use clear silica gel if I need some and check saturation by weighing it.

• Juthro, Microbe and Cuboid like this

#11 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,969 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 February 2021 - 08:04 PM

Everything I've read says shrooms will keep longer if they are powdered to reduce surface area exposure to O2.

Everything I've read has said the exact opposite.

And IME, the longest I've personally seen/experienced potency be preserved was eight years, and it was from some dry, whole mushrooms a friend had stored in honey at room temp in the back of a cupboard in his kitchen (and generously split with me).

Powder has exponentially-more exposed surface area than whatever solid substance it was created from. I suspect that the chitin of the cell walls acts as a sealed barrier against O2, and powdering would break a lot or maybe most of those cell walls.

• sandman and jrh like this

#12 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 186 posts

Posted 19 February 2021 - 11:12 PM

I guess there's room for debate surrounding the powdered vs whole shroom. When you put powdered shrooms into a jar only the top few square inches of the surface is exposed to O2 whereas with whole shrooms the entire surface is exposed. Probably the best storage is capsules but I'm not inclined to swallow 20 caps to get a hero's dose. On the other hand what's the likelihood that the shrooms will be around that long before getting someone on their way to the moon. NOT!!!

On the topic of the silica gel packets, I use the orange/green indicator packets. Thanks for the heads up about pink/blue packets. Much appreciated! I didn't know that about them...

Edited by FunnyFarmer, 19 February 2021 - 11:17 PM.

#13 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 908 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 February 2021 - 12:40 AM

I guess there's room for debate surrounding the powdered vs whole shroom. When you put powdered shrooms into a jar only the top few square inches of the surface is exposed to O2 whereas with whole shrooms the entire surface is exposed. Probably the best storage is capsules but I'm not inclined to swallow 20 caps to get a hero's dose. On the other hand what's the likelihood that the shrooms will be around that long before getting someone on their way to the moon. NOT!!!

On the topic of the silica gel packets, I use the orange/green indicator packets. Thanks for the heads up about pink/blue packets. Much appreciated! I didn't know that about them...

If you are going to put powder in a jar I suggest buying oxygen absorber packs. I've stored capsules this way in the freezer for a year at least. I tried storing capsules at room temp in food saver bags in a drawer where the heat fluctuated and I'm pretty sure they went bad in less than a year. My new favorite storage method is gummies, they are much quicker to make and easier to digest than capsules.
  • TVCasualty and Juthro like this

#14 jrh

jrh

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 437 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 08:23 AM

On the topic of the silica gel packets, I use the orange/green indicator packets. 

If you are going to put powder in a jar I suggest buying oxygen absorber packs.

Just ordered some. I didn't know about oxygen absorber packs before.

• pastyoureyes likes this

#15 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,969 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 February 2021 - 10:33 AM

I guess there's room for debate surrounding the powdered vs whole shroom.

Not in terms of the vast difference in surface area of a solid object vs. that same object after powdering it. This is something we can measure.

When you put powdered shrooms into a jar only the top few square inches of the surface is exposed to O2 whereas with whole shrooms the entire surface is exposed.

Why do you assume that oxygen can't permeate powder? To an oxygen molecule, the gaps between grains of powder are like the Grand Canyon seems to us (big enough to get lost in, really easy to fit through).

Consider that with whole fungi, the exterior is exposed but with powdered fungi the exterior AND the interior AND the insides of the actual cells are exposed.

On second thought, with whole fungi the interior and exterior are both exposed since oxygen will slowly but surely permeate the tissue of a dry mushroom, so I'd put my money on the commonly-reported reduced shelf life of powdered fungi being caused primarily if not entirely by the broken cell walls, which were probably the only part of the mushroom that was genuinely sealed from exposure to oxygen. This is supported IMO by the observation I've made that stems torn apart by their fibers don't blue nearly as strongly as stems cut with a blade. Tearing it follows the mycelial strands, cuts go right through it all, cell walls and all. This suggests there's a lot of magic inside the cells where it would be protected by intact cell walls after drying a mushroom.

• Juthro, pastyoureyes and rockyfungus like this

#16 jrh

jrh

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 437 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 11:11 AM

When you put powdered shrooms into a jar only the top few square inches of the surface is exposed to O2 whereas with whole shrooms the entire surface is exposed.

Why do you assume that oxygen can't permeate powder?

As devil's advocate, even given that oxygen can permeate powder, it may be that one of the byproducts of the oxidation of psilocybin is heavier than O2 and ends up sinking to the bottom of a jar, protecting it from oxidation. I believe that is what supposedly happens in fancy coffee containers are supposed to allow an accumulation of CO2 to push out the O2.

#17 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,969 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 February 2021 - 11:28 AM

Why do you assume that oxygen can't permeate powder?

As devil's advocate, even given that oxygen can permeate powder, it may be that one of the byproducts of the oxidation of psilocybin is heavier than O2 and ends up sinking to the bottom of a jar, protecting it from oxidation. I believe that is what supposedly happens in fancy coffee containers are supposed to allow an accumulation of CO2 to push out the O2.

I'd not heard of that coffee container idea before, which sounds to me like pure marketing BS based on compelling logic that has flawed givens since that would only work if the temperature it was stored in was rigidly, absolutely constant and the container was protected from any air currents whatsoever since for the O2 to be "pushed out" the container has to be open to allow it to leave, and any currents in the vicinity will disrupt that.

If the temp varied at all then there would be a differential between the interior and exterior temperatures of the container, and temperature differentials generate convective currents which would then mix interior (CO2) and exterior (air) gasses bringing the CO2 back down closer to atmospheric levels. I can see CO2 being elevated slightly at the bottom of such a container under the best real-world conditions, but that's about it and any anti-oxidation protective effect would be negligible.

#18 jrh

jrh

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 437 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 11:49 AM

It may be pure marketing BS, some coffee people really love their coffee. The cannister itself is just an airtight container with a one way valve at the top.

https://www.williams...shoC8KkQAvD_BwE

#19 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,969 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 February 2021 - 03:17 PM

It may be pure marketing BS, some coffee people really love their coffee. The cannister itself is just an airtight container with a one way valve at the top.

I looked at it, and it doesn't let the oxygen out to be replaced by CO2, it's a plunger-style mini vacuum pump that evacuates a little bit of air from it so it's sealed as tightly as possible.

A mason jar with a Foodsaver lid to store coffee under vacuum would be the best way to extend their shelf life IMO.

#20 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 2,159 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 February 2021 - 05:38 PM

There are so many fun ways to store and digest the mushroom. Love having some chocolate on hand, perhaps a bit of honey stored in the fridge as well. Those gummies sound interesting too. Good to leave some full sized dried shrooms in a container as you can't turn powder back into whole mushrooms but it is nice to be able to grind it up for tea or powder later. I used to do the pills but found that they are not the best on the guts

Since ya'll brought up coffee I think it serves a perfect example of why storing in pure powder form in a jar would be less desirable than keeping it in a raw product form and then grinding it just before use. Hard to beat fresh ground coffee beans versus that bag of pre ground that has been sitting in a sealed container for an extended period of time.

I suppose some are more worried about stealth and leaving whole mushrooms in a jar seems like risky business

Edited by FLASHINGROOSTER, 20 February 2021 - 05:41 PM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!