39 replies to this topic

#21 fahtster

fahtster

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,046 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 February 2021 - 02:36 AM

Vacuum sealing works great and you can get a pretty cheap one for like 40-50$. Just buy food saver brand bags. Cheap bags fail often. I ate 8 month old vacuumed fruits and they were just as good as ever. Chocolates are my next favorite but they pretty much ruined dark chocolate for me lol.

I’m with ya in the splitting stems.. only way I roll. If ppl bitch, just tell them they’re going to eat the damn things anyway, you just gave them a headstart.

Faht

Edited by fahtster, 21 February 2021 - 02:37 AM.

• Juthro likes this

#22 vork21

vork21

Fan Man

• Free Member
  • 153 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 04:03 AM

It may be pure marketing BS, some coffee people really love their coffee. The cannister itself is just an airtight container with a one way valve at the top.

I looked at it, and it doesn't let the oxygen out to be replaced by CO2, it's a plunger-style mini vacuum pump that evacuates a little bit of air from it so it's sealed as tightly as possible.

A mason jar with a Foodsaver lid to store coffee under vacuum would be the best way to extend their shelf life IMO.

I don't think that canister is one, but I think they were talking about coffee degassing containers:

https://www.beanpoet...roasted-coffee/

Edited by vork21, 21 February 2021 - 04:03 AM.

• TVCasualty and jrh like this

#23 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 908 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 February 2021 - 07:49 AM

Vacuum sealing works great and you can get a pretty cheap one for like 40-50$. Just buy food saver brand bags. Cheap bags fail often. I ate 8 month old vacuumed fruits and they were just as good as ever. Chocolates are my next favorite but they pretty much ruined dark chocolate for me lol.
I’m with ya in the splitting stems.. only way I roll. If ppl bitch, just tell them they’re going to eat the damn things anyway, you just gave them a headstart.
Faht

I will have to test some of my capsules stored in food saver bags. It would be really nice to be able to store dried fruits without processing into candy and taking up space in the freezer.
  • fahtster likes this

#24 Moby

Moby

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 299 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 08:40 AM

In my mind splitting stems to accelerate drying would be counterproductive in terms of lost potency and outplay the benefit of saved time.

To split the whole harvest into pieces takes some time to do.

By splitting the stems you pretty much double the stems surface that is exposed over hours to moving hot air

#25 sandman

sandman

That Motherfucker

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,000 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 February 2021 - 08:50 AM

Yea exposing more surface area is literally the point.

It makes no noticeable difference in potency. 

And most people can cut a few mushrooms in half in under a minute. They are actually pretty easy to cut. Kinda soft. Although if you are only allowed to use plastic toy cutlery I can see it being a bit time consuming. 

Edited by sandman, 21 February 2021 - 08:53 AM.

#26 jrh

jrh

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 437 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 09:19 AM

I don't think that canister is one, but I think they were talking about coffee degassing containers:

https://www.beanpoet...roasted-coffee/

Thanks for the assist! That was my bad for searching for what I wanted then picking one of the results without actually looking at it.

• vork21 likes this

#27 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,627 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 February 2021 - 10:29 AM

Everything I've read says shrooms will keep longer if they are powdered to reduce surface area exposure to O2.

Everything I've read has said the exact opposite

In my mind splitting stems to accelerate drying would be counterproductive in terms of lost potency and outplay the benefit of saved time.

By splitting the stems you pretty much double the stems surface that is exposed over hours to moving hot air

This is the reason why i would never split my stems. I dry very meaty mushrooms in the dehydrator and never have i felt the need to split the stems. Splitting them open, also significantly increases the surface area. All the goodies inside the stem are preserved during and after the drying process with left intact.

Edited by Microbe, 21 February 2021 - 10:48 AM.

#28 Moby

Moby

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 299 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 10:48 AM

Everything I've read says shrooms will keep longer if they are powdered to reduce surface area exposure to O2.

Everything I've read has said the exact opposite

This is the reason why i would never split my stems. I dry very meaty mushrooms in the dehydrator and never have i felt the need to split the stems. Splitting them open, also significantly increases the surface area. All the goodies inside the stem are preserved during and after the drying process with left intact.

Exactly.

#29 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 2,159 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 February 2021 - 10:51 AM

Those large shrooms can take forever to dry out if you don't split them. Especially if you are using the fan method. To me risking rot is a greater concern than potential loss of potency. I have year and a half old shrooms that have been sitting in a ziplock container inside a closet and they still work just fine.

• pastyoureyes likes this

#30 Moby

Moby

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 299 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 11:07 AM

I can see when you want to speed up the drying process if you use a fan, rotting tho doesn't even happen in mushrooms that lay on newspaper for a week and longer, I dried all my mush on newspaper until early last year.

Of course everyone can do it however they want, I'm just saying that I don't do it like that and that I wouldn't want to do it like that + tell the reason for it.

Anyone can choose what they want to do.

#31 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 2,159 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 February 2021 - 11:17 AM

Also when talking drying I think the most important consideration seems to be relative humidity. While laying on them on a piece of paper towel and waiting or using a light fan might work for you and me, someone who lives in Thailand may require different methods to remove moisture. The idea of storing with descant is totally pointless for me living in a near semi arid climate those suckers stay dry as dust. But I swear I have read stories about folks mushrooms sucking back in moisture from the air but I could be wrong about that

Edited by FLASHINGROOSTER, 21 February 2021 - 11:17 AM.

• pastyoureyes likes this

#32 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,627 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 February 2021 - 12:06 PM

Also when talking drying I think the most important consideration seems to be relative humidity. While laying on them on a piece of paper towel and waiting or using a light fan might work for you and me, someone who lives in Thailand may require different methods to remove moisture. The idea of storing with descant is totally pointless for me living in a near semi arid climate those suckers stay dry as dust. But I swear I have read stories about folks mushrooms sucking back in moisture from the air but I could be wrong about that

You are correct, mushrooms can and will absorb moisture from the air that is very humid. Once cracker dry, the mushrooms themselves, become a desiccant.

#33 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 681 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 02:45 PM

Can you use mushrooms as a desiccant? :cool:

#34 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,977 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 February 2021 - 02:46 PM

Can you use mushrooms as a desiccant?

I believe it was Foster who was using excess dried shrooms as kindling for building fires...

#35 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,969 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 February 2021 - 03:56 PM

I've grown out some PF Classics which have very fat, filled stems and when drying one of my first grows I got the harvest to cracker dry with a fan and silica gel then put them in a mason jar and stored them in the dark. A few weeks later I opened it to get some out and they were floppy and spots of mold had started to grow. Turns out the interior had been sealed off by drying them quickly so it took a long time for the inner moisture to wick out.

Since there's no noticeable difference in potency from fungi dried whole vs. with split stems I'd say that that's another anecdotal point in support of the hypothesis that potency is mainly preserved by intact cell walls, not intact mushrooms.

Also, with the PFCs if I didn't split them they'd take as long as a couple of weeks to dry (under a fan in a closet with a dehumidifier running, which also boosts the temp in it to ~90℉/32℃) but if I split them they take a few days at the most. So there will either be a prolonged exposure to less surface area or a much shorter exposure to a significantly greater surface area.

• fahtster and FLASHINGROOSTER like this

#36 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 681 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 06:20 PM

I actually enjoy cutting them just for the nice sound they make as they fall into a jar on other dried pieces.

#37 fahtster

fahtster

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,046 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 February 2021 - 07:46 PM

I used to fan dry way back when and in the summer it’s impossible to get to cracker dry so I would put them in a tyvek envy and throw them in the crisper in my fridge.. they’d get cracked dry in a day (think of that rock hard piece of uncovered pizza in your fridge). The only downfall is that as soon as you took them out of the fridge, moisture would start to condense on the cold fruits and very quickly you’d have bendy mush again. I combatted that by immediately powdering them and making chocolates. It’s a great trick if you’re just going to eat them right away.

Yeah.. there’s no downfall to splitting stems, imo. 12 hours in the dehydrator compared to 24 is a no-brained for me. Even if there’s potency loss (I don’t believe there to be, in fact the opposite is where I’m leaning) it would be negligible and sometimes there’s fruits waiting for the space in the dehydrator.. plus it’s easier in my electric bill. But definitely to each their own.

Faht

Edited by fahtster, 21 February 2021 - 10:00 PM.

• sandman, TVCasualty, pastyoureyes and 1 other like this

#38 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 2,159 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 February 2021 - 06:33 PM

Damn you spell check, I guess there was a reason that descant didn't work.

Who would have thought using a fixed melody while singing to my shrooms would not work as a long term drying solution

Edited by FLASHINGROOSTER, 22 February 2021 - 06:33 PM.

• sandman likes this

#39 ilikethings

ilikethings

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 150 posts

Posted 27 February 2021 - 03:04 PM

Here is a great thread I started a while back on drying: https://mycotopia.ne...orage-protocol/

I also spit my stems in half for faster drying.  I don't sell (but I don't I judge those who do) but I can relate to the issue of ppl asking why the dried fruits look like they do (i.e. split apart) but that's just bc they are ignorant (not an insult) of what to look for like blueing.  Normies who never grew just lack the info.  And with more ppl than ever seeking to acquire and try these based on the societal trend, I suspect that packaging and presentation will become a bigger issue.  Which begs the question, are there any cheap and easy to use psilo test kits on the market yet?

Even with a dehydrator, it makes a big difference in terms of drying when you split them in half--especially the bigger fruits that are 30-50grams each wet weight, i.e. I've had bins that have few fruits but will get 8-10 fruits in a 16"x24" bin that weight 30-45 grams wet.

Edited by ilikethings, 27 February 2021 - 03:15 PM.

• sandman, fahtster and FunnyFarmer like this

#40 ilikethings

ilikethings

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 150 posts

Posted 28 February 2021 - 06:38 PM

The tests exist but are pricey.  ~$4-5usd each.  https://www.pharmadr...enic-fungi.html

• TVCasualty likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!