• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,952 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 February 2021 - 08:49 PM

Yikes. I turned down several opportunities to work at Lockheed Martin because I didn't want to have anything to do with bombs.

I quickly didn't, either. I was just a fan of the vigorous exothermic reactions, not fashioning them into actual destructive devices. I'm still a fan of those on special occasions. All the physics, none of the violence!

I'm a good example of why we need legal mushrooms ASAP. All it took was that one 7 gram bag (my first) to cure me of any and all militaristic/destructive aspirations (and suicidal ideation) when I was 17, and I was a stubborn bastard. Still am. But I was no match for 7 grams all by myself in the dark.

• sandman, Sidestreet, FLASHINGROOSTER and 1 other like this

#22 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,589 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 February 2021 - 09:06 PM

Speaking of clowns @Juthro

https://duckduckgo.c...h?v=SKXhuBe0oow

This is probably a @TVCasualty modified door....i hope they don't try to kick it

Edited by Microbe, 19 February 2021 - 09:09 PM.

#23 August West

August West

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,941 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 February 2021 - 09:40 PM

I also agree, no knock warrants are no bueno, nothing funny about them at all.   Though I do think Microbe was referring to the way the news, and LEO were portraying the story.

Yea, I knew what he meant about people getting busted. I stand by my point. There is nothing funny about the war on people who use drugs. It's perhaps the largest waste of human and material resources in the history of mankind outside the two "World Wars". It's obviously just me but I don't see the humor.
  • TVCasualty and Juthro like this

#24 vork21

vork21

Fan Man

• Free Member
  • 152 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 08:12 AM

"Against the assault of laughter, nothing can stand" - Mark Twain

Folks pointing out exactly what is funny about the war on drugs' failures and absurdities has provided the most powerful and influential social commentary against it, IMHO. 

I agree that there probably aren't many slapstick no-knock raids that fall in the 'humor as social commentary' category.  But in policy and construct of the war on drugs, I can't not see humor.

just my2cents

• TVCasualty, August West, Microbe and 1 other like this

#25 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,952 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 February 2021 - 09:30 AM

I also agree, no knock warrants are no bueno, nothing funny about them at all.   Though I do think Microbe was referring to the way the news, and LEO were portraying the story.

Yea, I knew what he meant about people getting busted. I stand by my point. There is nothing funny about the war on people who use drugs. It's perhaps the largest waste of human and material resources in the history of mankind outside the two "World Wars". It's obviously just me but I don't see the humor.

I agree with that point, to a point. Sometimes the only thing that's funny is the fact that nothing is funny anymore. Or maybe that's just something we tell ourselves so we can better tolerate existence. Hell if I know; much of my laughter these days is of the I'm-probably-losing-my-fucking-mind-here type.

Since we all know what the War on (people with) Drugs is really about I strongly suspect that if drugs weren't the vehicle for accomplishing what the war on the people with them does then it would be something else and just as many doors would still be getting kicked in to maintain the socioeconomic hegemony of the reptiles from Planet X who this way of doing things benefits. It would just be under some other bullshit pretext. Or maybe none at all, and without drugs things would have gone full-Orwell instead of only half (so far).

If it was just about drugs then there wouldn't currently be an unconscionable and entirely preventable humanitarian disaster going on in fucking Texas just because it got a little chillier than usual, which is to say almost as cold as some places get every year. And that was after being warned for 10+ years that it was coming, but they still weren't ready because they never intended to be. That level of callous disregard for human life is no different than kicking in the door to someone's home and murdering them because a piece of paper says they probably have drugs.

Any clownin' at all that we can get at the expense of the brainwashed tools who earn table scraps from the powerful by keeping the powerless powerless counts, like a shrinking violet blooming out of a crack in the pavement of a vast dumpscape. But at the same time I can understand not finding some kinds of "funny cop videos" funny at all since portraying them as affable buffoons only works while overlooking the fact of what they're actually engaged in at the time.

Portraying them as bumbling meatheaded fuckwits is also frustrating because it reminds some of us that we're subject to the "authority" of bumbling meatheaded fuckwits. That said, there might be genuine monsters in a house that the cops fuck up a raid on, and the world would be better served by its occupants no longer roaming around freely in it. That's what police are ostensibly for as far as the general public is mistakenly concerned (i.e., arresting dangerous and violent people, not raiding homes for victimless crimes). But they also ultimately do what they're told, so as law enforcement officers it's not on them what to enforce but as human beings whatever they actually choose to do (including joining the force) is entirely on them regardless of any orders or "policies" (particularly the unwritten ones).

Maybe a bit (or a lot) of mockery convinces some to clean up their act, reform their Department (lol), or just quit the force altogether? And maybe relentless mockery and satire convinces others to not join up in the first place?

I guess it all only works the way it is until our civilization either implodes or can figure out how to sustain itself upon a foundation that is not ultimately composed of slavery and rapacious exploitation. Laughter in such a context is not tacit approval, it's more like blowing a cognitive fuse so as to maintain sanity and self-control in the face of... well, you know.

This is even more applicable when you're ridiculously outgunned:

zlaughter

IMO this classic video is an example of being just another maddening chronicle of our collective insanity while simultaneously being pretty fucking hilarious:

[Direct Link]

How's that for a smooth segue back to the topic?  :cool:

• vork21 and Microbe like this

#26 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,589 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 February 2021 - 11:44 AM

http://drugs.globalincidentmap.com/

#27 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 2,134 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 February 2021 - 02:56 PM

Watching those idiots pose in front of their precious drug bust's are something else.

You should see the look on their faces when members of several LE agencies (local police, CHP, and Border Patrol since this was in SoCal) bring a bunch of those photos to show off at a High School "Career Day" only to discover that SWIM and a FOAF had stolen them all. And a couple of hubcaps off their marked vehicles for good measure. This was back before digital photography so it wasn't so easy to replace the photos, kind of like the plants and stacks of drugs they depicted.

I designed a pretty cool no-knock/kick-in-proof door consisting of regular looking interior and exterior finishes but is tightly filled with very thin, loose vertical strips of bamboo that fill the core without any glue or fasteners. It's designed to be relatively easy to kick through, but only gives way by letting a foot or battering ram punch all the way through it (making a hole the size of their foot or battering ram).

Getting that foot back out without severe injury would require tools and great care as all the broken strips of bamboo create splinters that act as a one-way passage that would tear up someone's lower leg and foot if they tried to pull it out. And if it was a ram then it would just poke a hole but the door would remain otherwise intact (it might even fly out of their hands from the lack of anticipated resistance and end up in your living room; hey, free battering ram!!).

Granted, all a door made out of punji sticks does is delay the inevitable (unless it was a home invasion robbery), but that can sometimes be enough to deal with/flush what they might be looking for, or to flee through your escape tunnel. Y'all have escape tunnels, right? Just don't mention that the bamboo problem was by design; how the hell were you supposed to know what would happen if your door was kicked in?

The only concern I would have with such a device is if it was ever actually used and the cops noticed something fishy they could potentially charge a guy for setting booby traps. Not to sound like a Debbie downer but they have those rules in for fairly logical reasons. Like if an innocent first responder was trying to break into a house to respond to a medical emergency or fire and fell prey to someone's trap. I just watched that transpire about a month and a half ago at 2 am on my street. It was a false fire alarm but the person in the house was sound asleep, not sure exactly how they got in but eventually I could see them walking around in the dark on the inside with their flashlights lighting the place up. Of course I was flying on mushrooms at the time and the flashing lights and sirens outside my window did give me a bid of a scare. Poking one eye through the blinds wondering WTF at first. The jig is UP! They got me!

A trap is “absolutely incapable of exercising discretion or reason. Rather, it sentences its victim to death or great bodily injury in a split second explosion of deadly force.”  Because of that possibility, police, prosecutors and the courts are absolutely willing to press charges against people who booby-trap their property.

While I don't find the war on drugs funny, I would agree with the sentiment that comedy really is our most powerful form of social commentary. It was one of the last bastions of free speech where you could get away with challenging aggressive cultural norms and succeed in pointing out the absurdity in a humorous way. These days though that conduit has been under intense assault from the politically correct millennials that think a new wave of puritanism is going to be the cure

Edited by FLASHINGROOSTER, 20 February 2021 - 03:05 PM.

• Microbe likes this

#28 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,952 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 February 2021 - 03:11 PM

I got the idea when I was tossing some stuff up on to my porch while unloading a car from a camping trip. A folding chair hit a cooler and flipped over and the foot hit my door and put a hole in it that was really hard to get the damn chair leg out of because of the splintered front panel. This was also when I discovered that my front door was hollow core (WTF??). So a hollow core door works almost the same way and isn't a booby trap.

Just don't yell "Gotcha!" when you see a jackboot protruding through your door and it'll be hard to pin on you as intentional. They almost always use battering rams anyway, so it's going to work more in practice as a "be like water" sort of passive/yielding defense against rigid, brute force. So you're much more likely to get a free battering ram dropped into your foyer than a foot stuck in your door.

And it's not lethal unless you try to yank your leg out and sever an artery, and there will be a very strong incentive not to do that.

Edited by TVCasualty, 20 February 2021 - 03:11 PM.

• Microbe, SteampunkScientist and FLASHINGROOSTER like this

#29 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 2,134 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 February 2021 - 03:16 PM

I thought about editing the lethal part out as I know that was certainly not your intent,  it was part of that quote and I left it in by pure lazyness

Edited by FLASHINGROOSTER, 20 February 2021 - 04:45 PM.

#30 August West

August West

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,941 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 February 2021 - 04:41 PM

"Against the assault of laughter, nothing can stand" - Mark Twain

Folks pointing out exactly what is funny about the war on drugs' failures and absurdities has provided the most powerful and influential social commentary against it, IMHO. 

I agree that there probably aren't many slapstick no-knock raids that fall in the 'humor as social commentary' category.  But in policy and construct of the war on drugs, I can't not see humor.

just my2cents

Completely agree. And humor that lasts, is typically the darkest. The failures and absurdities surrounding "The War On Drugs" should be pointed out whenever someone bends an ear to listen. So sure, I'll amend my statement to be less dogmatic. As you alluded, the drug war is humorous the same way the story of Sisyphus is. I just don't find low-IQ news readers (as the initial video is what generated the comment) regurgitating a corporate sponsored, uncritical sound bite about a raid to be a powerful social commentary on the failures and absurdities of anything. It simply is an absurd failure.

Carry on.

Edited by August West, 20 February 2021 - 04:43 PM.

• TVCasualty likes this

#31 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

Distinguished Mad Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 4,136 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 February 2021 - 07:45 AM

Civilization would have collapsed a lot sooner than it's likely to now if I'd not discovered psychedelics and ended up being a weapons designer at a defense company instead. I almost applied to a military Academy for a while during my depressed pyromaniac phase in High School, but then... mushrooms happened to me instead. So (magic) mushrooms not only CAN save the world, they arguably already have!

TV, are you saying that you personally would have "DESTROYED THE WORLD!!!!!" if you had not found the magick?  :biggrin:  Love it!

• FLASHINGROOSTER likes this

#32 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,952 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 February 2021 - 09:03 AM

Civilization would have collapsed a lot sooner than it's likely to now if I'd not discovered psychedelics and ended up being a weapons designer at a defense company instead. I almost applied to a military Academy for a while during my depressed pyromaniac phase in High School, but then... mushrooms happened to me instead. So (magic) mushrooms not only CAN save the world, they arguably already have!

TV, are you saying that you personally would have "DESTROYED THE WORLD!!!!!" if you had not found the magick?  :biggrin:  Love it!

Just the human one, not the real one.

I still might.

• SteampunkScientist likes this

#33 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,589 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 February 2021 - 12:04 PM

This is an old photo, but this is proof, LEO and Government agencies are misinformed on mushrooms. They are handling a miricale drug as if it were Anthrax.

Attached Thumbnails

• 4fc76e580b581.image.jpg

• SteampunkScientist likes this

#34 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

Distinguished Mad Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 4,136 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 February 2021 - 02:20 PM

OMG what a bunch of idiots.  You would think they would at least "try" to know something about what the hell they are "busting people" for.

• Microbe likes this

#35 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,589 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted Today, 01:24 PM

https://www.dailymai...ern-Sydney.html

#36 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,952 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted Today, 01:41 PM

OMG what a bunch of idiots.  You would think they would at least "try" to know something about what the hell they are "busting people" for.

I bet they do, mostly.

One of the weirdest things about government budgets are provisions where a department or program has to spend what it's allotted or it won't get as much next year (which is a rather perverse incentive to waste money). So use that PPG if you got it!

And it also acts as a prejudicial theatrical production when the "evidence" is presented to a jury who also sees it being carried out of a residence in a suburban neighborhood by people wearing hazmat suits. This spectacle plays into the jury's ignorance and reactionary fear since the people who end up serving on a jury probably live in similar neighborhoods and photos like that scare the hell out of them, and of course "WHAT ABOUT THE CHILDREN?!?"

On the other hand, they really don't know if a grower is competent, so they could conceivably raid the house of a rookie grower who only ended up creating a toxic mold factory in which case those suits would be a very good idea. This is not to say that raiding homes for growing fungi is in any way justified on moral or ethical grounds.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!