• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SlipperyJack

SlipperyJack

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 79 posts

Posted 18 February 2021 - 09:59 PM

So I have some forested acreage in plant hardiness zone 5a in North America.

I am planning on setting up a choice edible mushroom patch in the very near future.

However, this post has nothing to do with that!

I grow cubes.

So naturally I get waste material: spent cakes and old spore water.

It seems like a shame whenever I clean up from a grow and I just toss that stuff in the trash.

Is there any chance that I could create an outdoor patch in my woods by just tossing my spent cakes and old spore water in an area?

From what I have read, I am in a zone that is wayyy too cold for this to be a possibility.

But I just wanted to throw it out to the experts and see what you guys have to say.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

#2 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 651 posts

Posted 18 February 2021 - 10:36 PM

You're good, just make sure the temperatures are correct. If it's dry you may need a humidity dome.

Dig a hole a few feet down, load in spent sub, cover with leafs, hay, manure, or dirt, doesn't seem to matter. Won't get a ton of flushes, but you'll get some. Just look at other outdoor beds for ideas, it's just timing. Don't expect it to become a true patch.

My thoughts in our zone is that you are just getting another flush. I tend to get a few fruits a week after I bury, and I assume it would of happened regardless.

• pastyoureyes likes this

#3 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 869 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 February 2021 - 12:08 AM

Don't have to worry about the last flush contaminating your grow space. Sounds like a cool idea.

#4 FunG

FunG

certified something

• Banned Member
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 19 February 2021 - 12:57 AM

Weather and temperature permitting they'll grow from the spent substrates without a question but the spores are abit iffy.

I did tell the story of when I was running a major time bulk grow (or am I still?) But anyways, I used a giant square fan to dry the shrooms out in a mesh laundry bag. When I say shrooms I'm talking a few kg's so given the amount of fresh spores that went into the air (out the windows I used to vent) it's no supprise that about 3 months later a patch appeared growing out of the cracks in the driveway. I'm not making any of this up.

The weather and conditions were perfect for outdoor growing, around here outdoor cubes (both wild and planted) can be found growing between June and September. I'm in south eastern ontario canada.

You just have to wait until the warm weather months in your specific area but yea, theyll grow outdoors if you do like rockyfungus said and plant them just below the surface of soil and lay some lose soil overtop of them.

P.cubensis are extraordinarily resilient out in the wild. It's also why the importation of their spores is illegal in some countries/states since they can self populate in certain climates year long making them a environmental hazard (according to dick head govt scientists)
  • EYMAIOS likes this

#5 SlipperyJack

SlipperyJack

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 79 posts

Posted 19 February 2021 - 05:00 PM

Thanks everyone.

I will save my spent substrate and give it a try this spring.

If it will be a while, should I keep it in the fridge or the freezer?

About the spore water, I'll give it a try... just because it is better than pouring it down the drain.

On that note, how long will spore water remain viable... I store it in 500ml glass jars with air port lids and a piece of tin foil on top, in a cool and dark cupboard.

#6 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,000 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 February 2021 - 05:35 PM

Good Idea ...you can do that and  grow some out doors  in warm weather ........................ but they will not.....NATURALIZE  and return the next year .  as it's to cold in zone 5

Edited by bezevo, 19 February 2021 - 05:45 PM.

• rockyfungus likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!