Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

My 1st grow attempt failed....and then salvaged.

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 37 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 11:16 PM

My first grow experience. Failed....and was then salvaged. Thanks mostly to the info I've gleaned from people on this site. I've been really jonesin for some shrooms. They come around occasionally, but usually not till after i really wanted them. So I did, as many of you did, and decided to try growing some myself. Im not after huge harvests. Just enough to turn my eyeballs inside out once (or thrice ) in a blue moon.

So. Hello all. I'm just an old punk from the midwest. And my first try flopped. In my search for more information I came across this site. It's been about 2 months of experimenting and I really wanna share the fruits of my labors (and of your experience, which helped me salvage my attempt)

So...... Where to start.

I was really excited one day. An acquaintance told me he could probably find some mushrooms. And he did. But kept them to himself. (Insert full disappointment mogee here)

Got on the old inter web and found a PFTek document that got me started. Started collecting my supplies a few items at a time and picked a vendor and got me some spores. A week before Christmas I started my jars. Mixed them up. Boiled them. And tried my first inoculation. In my head it was quite an ordeal. You'd think I was performing brain surgery. It's really a rush just going through the motions. I didn't take any pics at first. I hadn't seen these support groups. But my first grow is still in progress and I'm having fun photographing it (was a photography class enthusiast) and since I understand the importance of keeping discreet with people around me I am really glad I can share with y'all.

As of this week I harvested my first little cake.( I can't wait till I have a day off next week to enjoy them). And attempted my first spore print this morning. Im gonna stop here and try to organize my next post instead of rambling on so much. I'm a bit long winded.....but I'm excited.
  • coorsmikey, Moonless, YoshiTrainer and 1 other like this

#2 Mycol

Mycol

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 134 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 11:36 PM

It’s a bit of a rush, what kind of spores are you trying out ?

Edited by Mycol, 20 February 2021 - 11:36 PM.

#3 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 37 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 11:46 PM

My first steps....

I printed out a PFTek document and my printer cut off the tops and bottoms of each page. So I had incomplete info from the start. My jar mixture and inoculation went pretty well. I ordered 3 syringes and I did 2 batches the first week. Think I made up 18 jars. No funny colors but I threw away a few that looked wet. One that leaked while boiling. And one that smelled so bad I almost puked when I opened it.
My first fruiting chamber was made according to the document I used. It said drill holes an inch apart over the entire bin. I didn't even cover the whole bin and it took forever....and then a second forever to clean up all the plastic twists left all over my kitchen. This was my first mistake. I picked 8 jars to use and put them on my perlite bed. Thought I would get fancy and rigged a mister and fan on a timer 15min - 5 times a day. Really cool. But worried they needed more water. So I started misting also. But right onto the cakes. This was my 2nd mistake. After a week my cakes all looked shiny and solid. Here's where Mycotpia enters the scene .

I overwatered and am pretty sure I discovered overlay. Think that's what you called it. After a few days and much research I tried out the cakes under a fan redunked them for 12 hrs and broke them up. Only kept 2 golden teachers and 2 KSSS. Thought all was lost. Bought new totes. Drilled no holes and set them up. This time I adopted a few tricks from your "shit you need to know" thread. And still nothing happened. Until it did. Valentine's morning the first pins popped out.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20210211_223120.jpg
  • 20210211_222938.jpg
  • 20210214_125519.jpg

• Moonless and FunG like this

#4 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 37 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 11:59 PM

Over the next few days I raced home from work to fan my bins and drool. Only 1 cake sprouted pins. But I was ecstatic. Took a pic each morning before I left.

20210215_090530.jpg

20210216_092101.jpg

20210217_104620.jpg

20210218_093638.jpg

20210218_174333.jpg
  • YoshiTrainer and Mycol like this

#5 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 37 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 12:34 AM

First harvest day. The first pins were there Sunday morning. Veils broke Thursday afternoon. Dried them overnight in front of a fan and then put them in my little dehydrator for about 4 hrs. Read here that the dehydrator will zap some magic outta them if it's heated.... On Tuesday I will test this theory

20210218_174211.jpg

20210218_210658.jpg
  • YoshiTrainer likes this

#6 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 37 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 12:38 AM

Quick side note. If you leave the paper towel under your drying shrooms it's very unsatisfying to peel it off the next day. Gonna be eating little chunks of brawny.

#7 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 37 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 12:44 AM

It’s a bit of a rush, what kind of spores are you trying out ?

I tried the golden teachers (pictured) and KSSS which were the bargain bin of the month. The KSSS still have not pinned and I'm about to call them a lost cause.
I got a syringe of Cambodia spores that are currently about 80% taking over their jars. Think the little bit of experience gained will make them grow a lot smoother than the first batches

#8 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 37 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 12:52 AM

Today I took the first 2 fruits from 2nd cake and made my first spore print attempt. Really want to be able to store and grow later. I used a glass Tupperware container and a small piece of hardware cloth. So far so good.

20210219_224855.jpg

20210220_110743.jpg

20210220_185454.jpg

#9 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,534 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 February 2021 - 10:28 AM

You can definitely see the direction the air is moving in the printing chamber.....very cool stuff!

I put caps right down on the foil BUT I also use agar for cleanup and isolation work.....

Good job Oldpunk............ :thumbs_up2:

You've gone full circle, from spores to your own spores and now your "friend" can keep whatever he/she wants to themselves...... :tongue:

But greed doth unrest and discontent breeds............

A

• rockyfungus likes this

#10 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 37 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 10:44 AM

I haven't even looked into agar yet. Once I figure out this first round I may look into other cultivation options. But honestly. Even getting a few rounds outta these cakes is enough for an occasional tripper like me.

You can definitely see the direction the air is moving in the printing chamber.....very cool stuff!

I put caps right down on the foil BUT I also use agar for cleanup and isolation work.....

A

There should be no air flow for the spore print. I set it on top of a paint can on a crooked shelf and the spores drifted that far just being a 1/4" outta level. I was amazed.

Next step is building a glove box to open and package thos prints. I found a post with a great example to work from. So in advance----thank you to the ones who put their examples up here. Y'all are making my journey much easier and more productive
  • Arathu and rockyfungus like this

#11 Moonless

Moonless

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 748 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 February 2021 - 12:40 PM

This is what I like to see.

Pulling up a chair to see you grow

#12 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,534 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 February 2021 - 01:56 PM

That blasted gravity thing......

#13 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 37 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 04:20 PM

So.

It went ok. I made my glove box in about 20 minutes. I used some keg cups for the glove ring. And then I put rubber bands inside to hold it from popping loose.

Things to change.
Longer gloves. ----I couldn't reach the far corners and the thicker chemical resistant gloves made delicate movements tricky.
Attach the gloves.----- they popped loose while trying to reach. Rubber bands didn't quite cut it. But I don't wanna glue them until I know I'm happy with the gloves. I bought a pair of shoulder length gutting gloves. Will try those next.

20210221_135843.jpg

20210221_141752.jpg

20210221_144607.jpg

#14 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,961 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 February 2021 - 04:22 PM

Looking good!

Have a nice trip...

#15 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 37 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 04:22 PM

My first spore prints.

The one is pretty light. The cap was not open as long as the better one. It's all about timing.

20210221_145304.jpg

#16 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 37 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 09:29 PM

Decided to try one more time before I throw the KSSS cakes to the compost. If I can just get a couple good ones to grow then I can save it and hopefully next time I will have better luck on that strain. Dried the chunks under a fan since yesterday and now they are mid dunk. Think I'm gonna pull them out after 5-6 hrs and use a different tote. The smaller but taller one seems to work best in my little closet so I found one similar.

Fingers crossed. Maybe if I play them some music while setting up.

20210211_223120.jpg

#17 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 37 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 09:42 PM

The broken up cakes of golden teacher are now sprouting pins from all the cakes. Although I seem to have a couple darker fruits, some aborts, and a few cute little tiny shrooms that are already opening. Moisture issue? Too much? Too little?
20210220_184959.jpg 20210221_103753.jpg

#18 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 37 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 09:07 AM

Morning pics. Think I'm gonna pick a few of these before I go to work. Got the KSSS chunks in their new bed but there's nothing cool happening yet.
20210222_073753.jpg 20210222_073745.jpg 20210222_073830.jpg

#19 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 37 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 09:09 AM

Wish I could figure out why some pics upload sideways.

Stinkin technology.

#20 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 37 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 09:13 AM

Might as well check on the jars of Cambodia.

20210221_095801.jpg 20210221_095900.jpg

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!