Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

My 1st grow attempt failed....and then salvaged.

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 894 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 February 2021 - 06:35 PM

I have a much simpler method for making spore prints. Place your foil on top of a paper towel and put the cap on the foil, place a glass over the foil with the rim sitting partially on the foil and partially on the paper towel. I can provide a pic later if that description doesnt make sense.

When you say you boiled the jars I assume that means you didn't use a pressure cooker(PC)?
  • sandman and jrh like this

#22 jrh

jrh

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 435 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 07:42 PM

Please do provide a pic. I'm slow on the uptake.

Actually, nevermind.

Edited by jrh, 22 February 2021 - 07:43 PM.

#23 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 42 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 09:04 PM

If the rim is not covering all the foil doesn't it collect anything in the air? My environment is nowhere near clean so I chose the sealed Tupperware. Once the glove box is finalized I could see the glass trick. But I'm working out of my high traffic kitchen and a woodshop. Lots of air floaties to try and avoid.

As for boiling the jars I just used the biggest pot I've got and steamed them for 2 hrs. I don't have a pressure cooker.

#24 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 42 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 09:46 PM

This is so cool watching these pop out new mushrooms. It's so much faster than growing any other kind of plant or anything. Speaking of which. As time goes I wanna talk to some of you about some of the other special items a person can grow to expand the old thinker.

20210222_203001.jpg 20210222_203054.jpg
  • jrh likes this

#25 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 42 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 09:50 PM

Hope for the KSSS strain!
One little pin with a brown speck of mushroom tip!

20210222_203240.jpg

#26 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 42 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 10:09 PM

One last question for tonight. 2 of you have mentioned placing the cap directly on the foil. Is there any chance of contamination from the cap touching the foil. Mine is exposed to saw dust, paint fumes, pet hair, and who knows what every time I fan them. ( I would love a nice clean room laboratory but my available space is the best, most secret and secure I can do right now)

#27 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 894 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 February 2021 - 02:47 AM

There is always a chance for contamination but in my experience caps printed this way are fairly clean. There is no need to be fanning the caps when printing.

#28 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 42 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 09:01 AM

I meant fanning the bins. If I make 4 visits per day to fan the grow chamber, and I have been at it for 30 days. If I carry the 3 and divide by 8 then that gives me 120 chances for particles to settle on those cakes and caps.

This is my first try at any of this. I do think im gonna look into the agar approach for next time. By the time I actually try to use one of these prints who knows where my disjointed mind will be.

#29 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 42 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 09:05 AM

20210222_231642.jpg 20210222_231701.jpg

Pretty pictures. Get to pick these soon.
  • ElPirana and Mycol like this

#30 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 894 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 February 2021 - 09:56 PM

I meant fanning the bins. If I make 4 visits per day to fan the grow chamber, and I have been at it for 30 days. If I carry the 3 and divide by 8 then that gives me 120 chances for particles to settle on those cakes and caps.
This is my first try at any of this. I do think im gonna look into the agar approach for next time. By the time I actually try to use one of these prints who knows where my disjointed mind will be.

From the time the veil breaks on the cap to the time you print it should be less than 24 hours. You might be fanning for 30 days but I doubt you have a mushroom sitting in there for that long.

If the rim is not covering all the foil doesn't it collect anything in the air?

Put a jar or glass upside down on a paper towel and try to blow smoke into it. You'll see how much actually gets between the rim and the paper towel and that's with you blowing directly at it.

I print in a cabinet where I keep my clean glasses and the air in there is very still. If you aren't trying to print directly in front of an air vent you should be fine.

Edited by pastyoureyes, 23 February 2021 - 09:57 PM.

#31 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 42 posts

Posted 24 February 2021 - 12:01 AM

This one here was open for about 10-12 hrs and I feel like I got a pretty good print for my first try. I am gonna aim for that window and visual appearance in the future.

20210219_224855~2.jpg

I am definitely going to try the glass and towel method one of these times. My Tupperware and wire rack have also worked nicely to set and dry the fruits on when there's only a couple to pick.

20210223_173024.jpg

#32 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 42 posts

Posted 24 February 2021 - 01:03 AM

20210223_234523~2.jpg

I like how the condensation makes it look like a night sky.
My own little universe.

#33 Baphom3t

Baphom3t

I Put That Shit On Everything!

• VIP
  • 696 posts

Donator

Posted 24 February 2021 - 02:47 PM

The fruiting process is not as sterile of a process as the other parts of cultivation like inoculation and transfers are. Fanning them 4 times a day won't hurt them. It's better to have more FAE than not enough. Just make sure you keep up with the misting so they don't dry out. Cubensis are obligate aerobes which means they need oxygen.
I fan my tubs 3 times a day and mist maybe once sometimes twice a day.
Good job on your first grow. It looks like you are well on your way man. Take notes as you go so it can help you improve in your future ventures.

#34 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,974 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 February 2021 - 02:58 PM

Might as well check on the jars of Cambodia.

You know...you can over-check jars, eh!?

kidding

#35 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 42 posts

Posted 24 February 2021 - 11:12 PM

Since I'm totally new to this game I have a tendency to over check everything. And since 6-8 hrs can make quite a change it doesn't seem like overkill. I just spent the evening cleaning and resetting my little cultivation corner. Haven't even got this one all set up and already dreaming of the next one. Bigger, better, secret-er. I'm a dreamer...

Took apart my dehydrator last night and disconnected the heating element. I was reading through some of the posts in the archives and saw something about the heat zapping out some of the magic in your mushrooms. Not sure if that's true but it's definitely taking longer to dry out a couple good size mushrooms.

#36 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 42 posts

Posted 24 February 2021 - 11:35 PM

[quote name="Baphom3t"

The fruiting process is not as sterile of a process as the other parts of cultivation like inoculation and transfers are. Fanning them 4 times a day won't hurt them. It's better to have more FAE than not enough. Just make sure you keep up with the misting so they don't dry out. Cubensis are obligate aerobes which means they need oxygen.
I fan my tubs 3 times a day and mist maybe once sometimes twice a day.
Good job on your first grow. It looks like you are well on your way man. Take notes as you go so it can help you improve in your future ventures.[/quote]

I've got a few old aquariums and all the stuff that goes with them. Been thinking of trying an aquarium pump for air flow. If C02 settles does a person need vent holes down low so the co2 is pushed out as fresh air is pushed in? I'm dreaming of using one of the 4 ft long aquariums so I can see into the chamber. And I don't wanna punch holes in the glass. Not very discreet. But it sure would look cool with an automated mist generator.

Yep. Dreaming again.

#37 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 42 posts

Posted 25 February 2021 - 12:44 AM

Grow baby GROW!!!!

This little guy is my lonely savior of my Thai Koh Samui Super Strain

20210224_232711~2.jpg

#38 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 42 posts

Posted 25 February 2021 - 12:57 AM

20210224_232350~2.jpg 20210224_075750~2.jpg
Just a couple good pics.

Wonder if I will ever get tired of taking these?

#39 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 42 posts

Posted 25 February 2021 - 01:25 AM

I figured out how to fix the sideways pics. If I crop them first they stay right side up.... What a strange saying... It should be up side up. Right?.

20210218_174211~2.jpg 20210218_174333~2.jpg

#40 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 674 posts

Posted 25 February 2021 - 08:22 AM

Took apart my dehydrator last night and disconnected the heating element. I was reading through some of the posts in the archives and saw something about the heat zapping out some of the magic in your mushrooms. Not sure if that's true but it's definitely taking longer to dry out a couple good size mushrooms.

Old news, just use the heater unless you wanna dehydrate all day long.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!