Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

My 1st grow attempt failed....and then salvaged.

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#81 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 195 posts

Posted 27 March 2021 - 11:55 AM

Could let it dry a bit in a SAB or cover with a jar... or close 'er up and move it to agar sometime. After it sits for a bit the spores>bacteria (at least that's how I understand it)

I opened the corner of the container and the print dried out. Figure I will save it just to see if it germinates well or if it's contaminated. It'll be another good experiment to figure out what not to do I think. (Or I may be in for a surprise and it will be just fine.... )
  • Arathu likes this

#82 jrh

jrh

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 577 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 March 2021 - 12:01 PM

You'll have better luck once you move to grain spawn.

I used 1/2 block of coir. 1/2 gallon water.

The general ratio for coir:water is 1:5 by weight. So let's assume your 1/2 block was 300 g. 300 x 5 = 1500 g water = 1500 ml water = 6 1/3 cups water.

Working from the other direction, 1/2 gallon water = 8 cups water = 1890 ml water = 1890 g water. 1890 / 5 = 375 g coir to 1/2 gallon water.

Always check for field capacity by squeezing some in your fist. You should only get a few drops of water coming out. If it's too wet, you can add vermiculite. If it's too dry you can add small amounts of water. A good way of evenly distributing water is to smoosh it all down to a solid pancake in the bottom of the bowl or bucket. Once your substrate is at field capacity, then go ahead and pasteurize and use. With the added coffee grounds, you probably want to use it right away.

#83 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 195 posts

Posted 01 April 2021 - 12:11 PM

Oooh.......i almost feel like I can officially be part of the club now.

20210401_120241~2.jpg

Things just got way too fancy round here
  • jrh likes this

#84 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 8,820 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 April 2021 - 04:12 AM

Aww snap, that's a game-changer.

#85 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 195 posts

Posted 02 April 2021 - 09:24 AM

Aww snap, that's a game-changer.

Right? I feel a tiny bit more "professional" which is a word I try to stay away from in my professional work life.

For that first test run I made some jars of karo mixture to try a couple liquid cultures from prints and I'm gonna disect a fruit and try an LC clone.

I only got about 5g from my KSSS strain so I'm gonna try to grow out a bit more. One happy trip just wasn't enough.

#86 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 195 posts

Posted 02 April 2021 - 09:33 AM

This is my 2nd tray I tried from a broken up brf jar. This is a little more like what I was hoping for. The entire middle has a bunch of lil pins just about to poke through the ve rmiculite. This jar was allowed to consolidate an extra week from my first try. The ones where I tried to break up cakes after the first flush only grew a few small malformed fruits. So note to my future self.... When I bring old cakes outside plant them whole and don't expect much

20210402_085749~2.jpg
  • jrh likes this

#87 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 195 posts

Posted 04 April 2021 - 03:31 PM

Today I got out the glove box and prepared my first liquid cultures from a spore print and two tissue clone samples. It's such a pain to get out of the gloves that I didn't take pics along the way. But it was an exciting foray into the realm of mushroom reproduction. Hoping they work out (I keep saying that ) made 4 100ml jars off the print in case there is any thing funny that starts growing. If they all grow clean I'm not sure what I'm gonna do with all that LC.

20210404_151135~2.jpg
  • Sidestreet and fahtster like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!