• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#41 ChocolateStarfish

ChocolateStarfish

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 267 posts

Posted 04 March 2021 - 12:34 AM

I haven't tried those yetis or other newer ones, but "Leucistic Penis Envy Uncut" has been my personal strongest strain over all and I saw someone on shroomery that I know for a fact has been involved in at least a couple of those say similar if I am not mistaken.

The ladies, they go crazy.

Yeah PEU i dont think the leucistic is going to be any better than the normal version, both are probably about as potent as it gets i would assume. Did they look like the pictures i posted? Can you post some pics of your leaucistic PEU's i am interested to see what they look like during growth as well as after harvest.

#42 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 1,017 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 March 2021 - 12:49 AM

I tried making swabs with APE the way you suggested and I dont think I picked up any spores. I took a few swabs and streaked plates. Got no growth other than one which was some kind of pink contaminate. I might try placing part of the swab on a plate as well as trying a different agar recipe as it seems PDA may not be good for spore germination.

Another method is. letting the mushroom mature and darken like i said, and then cut the stem off like you normally would for printing, get some tin foil. Break the cap up into 1/4ths so you can put the gills against the foil, put it on the tin foil and put a cup over it for 12 hours and then wait for spores to drop. Once you pick it up you should have little oddly shaped spore prints, and then swab those up, or just use it as a spore print like that if its good enough. Tbh this is probably the better route

I'll try that if I get a suitable cap but in the case of APE will I even be able to see the spores on the foil?

#43 ChocolateStarfish

ChocolateStarfish

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 267 posts

Posted 04 March 2021 - 03:04 AM

I tried making swabs with APE the way you suggested and I dont think I picked up any spores. I took a few swabs and streaked plates. Got no growth other than one which was some kind of pink contaminate. I might try placing part of the swab on a plate as well as trying a different agar recipe as it seems PDA may not be good for spore germination.

Another method is. letting the mushroom mature and darken like i said, and then cut the stem off like you normally would for printing, get some tin foil. Break the cap up into 1/4ths so you can put the gills against the foil, put it on the tin foil and put a cup over it for 12 hours and then wait for spores to drop. Once you pick it up you should have little oddly shaped spore prints, and then swab those up, or just use it as a spore print like that if its good enough. Tbh this is probably the better route

I'll try that if I get a suitable cap but in the case of APE will I even be able to see the spores on the foil?

It may be light, but they do indeed produce normal black spores. Just, like i said, wait until the caps gain like a bluish tint, from my experience that usually means they have matured and are now dropping spores..The method of cutting the cap and placing the gills against foil to get a print is probably your best method. Good luck and post pics of them as they fruit

• pastyoureyes likes this

#44 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 1,017 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 March 2021 - 04:25 AM

It may be light, but they do indeed produce normal black spores. Just, like i said, wait until the caps gain like a bluish tint, from my experience that usually means they have matured and are now dropping spores..The method of cutting the cap and placing the gills against foil to get a print is probably your best method. Good luck and post pics of them as they fruit

I was talking about APE not PEU.

Vendor site says
Spores: Few, transparent, subellipsoid on 4-spored basidia, white in deposit.

So if I tried this with APE I would expect white.

The swabs turned blue when I swabbed APE.

#45 sandman

sandman

Saint PP

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,133 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 March 2021 - 02:47 PM

IMG_0087.jpg

• ChocolateStarfish likes this

#46 sandman

sandman

Saint PP

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,133 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 March 2021 - 02:48 PM

I suspect that blue you are getting isnt spores but juice/mycelium or some such or what have you

• pastyoureyes and ChocolateStarfish like this

#47 ChocolateStarfish

ChocolateStarfish

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 267 posts

Posted 04 March 2021 - 04:52 PM

I was talking about APE not PEU.

Vendor site says
Spores: Few, transparent, subellipsoid on 4-spored basidia, white in deposit.

So if I tried this with APE I would expect white.

The swabs turned blue when I swabbed APE.

Oh, no you wont be able to be able to see APE spores they are clear.

• sandman likes this

#48 ChocolateStarfish

ChocolateStarfish

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 267 posts

Posted 04 March 2021 - 05:04 PM

I suspect that blue you are getting isnt spores but juice/mycelium or some such or what have you

Definitely, sounds like hes getting oxidized psilocyn on  the swab lol, which sounds like you got a potent cube there..

Also, on that chart you posted of the different cubensis strain potencies, it said that the top strain was over 3% !! that is absolutely nuts for cubensis... it makes me wonder if there are other substances that we arent measuring in some of the more potent species, and that is why even the really potent cubensis, you can still take 2 or 3 grams of, but you cant do that with some of the exotics that have lower levels than those cubensis do.. i wonder

• sandman and coorsmikey like this

#49 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 1,017 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 March 2021 - 10:25 PM

I thought the same thing but figured I would have picked up spores if they were dropping.

#50 ChocolateStarfish

ChocolateStarfish

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 267 posts

Posted 05 March 2021 - 12:40 AM

I thought the same thing but figured I would have picked up spores if they were dropping.
Since it is hard to see APE spores maybe do the same technique i told you to use with PEUs, except before you put the slivers of caps down on the tinfoil for printing, trace an outline of the sliver so you'll have a general sense of where the spores will drop, and just swab that area and hope for the best, i suspect this is probably a pretty good method to use with clear spores.

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk

#51 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 1,017 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 March 2021 - 01:59 AM

Gonna be a while before I have caps again to try printing with the APE. Good idea about drawing the outline.

I might also try to drop a swab on agar to see if I get anything.

#52 ChocolateStarfish

ChocolateStarfish

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 267 posts

Posted 05 March 2021 - 02:26 PM

Gonna be a while before I have caps again to try printing with the APE. Good idea about drawing the outline.

I might also try to drop a swab on agar to see if I get anything.

Yeah, I mean if the swab was sterile except for when it swabbed the print, then that would be a pretty good idea if you wanted to be extra certain, i would just make sure to use the exact tip of the swab when i swabbed the print so i know exactly where the spores will be.. And tbh, even when you order like a regular swab, you normally dont see the spores when you streak it on the agar, but you still get plenty of growth.. I think it is all just timing with those albinos... since you can't physically see the darkening on the gills, you have no idea when the spores are ready, so tbh I haven't worked on printing albinos much and im just guessing on these answers. I just cloned my APE until i lost interest in it. 

#53 ChocolateStarfish

ChocolateStarfish

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 267 posts

Posted 05 March 2021 - 02:41 PM

Also, does anyone know the difference between melmac homestead PE and melmac tp, and if melmac(homestead penis envy) or the original penis envy, is more potent then the sporeworks PE?? Or whats up with all of that craziness?

#54 Nicked

Nicked

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 296 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 March 2021 - 12:54 PM

Also, does anyone know the difference between melmac homestead PE and melmac tp, and if melmac(homestead penis envy) or the original penis envy, is more potent then the sporeworks PE?? Or whats up with all of that craziness?

Not too clued up on the various Melmaks but I think homestead PE is the original PE and Melmak TP is Melmak 'thick penis' which essentially produces giant potent cock like mushrooms. Have TP on agar T1 and going to T2 soon! Can't wait to get them fruited.
  • sandman and Salty117 like this

#55 psilyguy808

psilyguy808

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 139 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 July 2021 - 05:16 PM

KSSS is the worst strain in the entire world to grow. But the fruits are pretty good potency wise.

Just hope you like a carpet of 2-5mm tall mushrooms that are impossible to harvest.

I second that, I had 10,000 pins, just a blanket. And a pain in the ass to harvest the ones that did mature

#56 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 1,017 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 July 2021 - 12:19 AM

KSSS is the worst strain in the entire world to grow. But the fruits are pretty good potency wise.
Just hope you like a carpet of 2-5mm tall mushrooms that are impossible to harvest.

I second that, I had 10,000 pins, just a blanket. And a pain in the ass to harvest the ones that did mature

Sounds like a good candidate for that cheesecloth harvesting tek.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!