5 replies to this topic

#1 Tankado78

Tankado78

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 52 posts

Posted 25 February 2021 - 07:36 PM

Hello Family!
Once again I've been missing in action, but only because I've been nocc'n up jars, getting rid of contam jars, preppin' to get a fruit chamber started, etc.etc. So, in between reading all you guys post, I've been on my job so 2 speak. Ok, getting down to business. When it comes to doing grows, whether it be fungi, cannabis, or other exotic plants, I tend to be or try to be frugal or what most ppl would describe as being 'cheap.' LOL. I'm always looking for ways to save a buck that way I can put the cash into more or better supplies n things as such. With that being said, when it comes to the shrooms, I go out n collect horse manure n use that as my free substrate. I usually will set the fresh manure on a old window screen, hose it down with water, n allow it 2 bake in the sun for a few days n I end up wit cracker dry manure that has been leech'd n pasteurized. I then proceed to add coir n verm n eventually the grains that have been spawn'd. Since its still pretty kold out n not enough sun light that I need, I was wondering if there's ways around my usual process? I have the fresh horse manure n I wanted to know if I could leave it fresh, add my coir n verm, n then use the oven pasteurization tek? Basically I'm trying to skip out on drying out the horse manure,, sun bathing n leeching. I want to know if its possible to add all my ingredients n just have the heat from the oven take care of any contamination or bacterial issues. If anyone has tried this b4 or just have any information on this, I would greatly appreciate you. Sending nothing but well wishes, good vibes, n even bigger blessings to you all! Once again, Thank You in advance!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

#2 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 8,022 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 February 2021 - 09:03 PM

Good to see ya Tank! Hey one thing that has worked well for me (there are many ways that can work) is take that fresh poo, dump it into a cooler or heavy duty garbage can with a good lid. Boil up a bunch of water, depending on the amount of poo you're using of course. When I dump that boiling water on the cold poo it instantly drops to about 100-120f that is not where you want it. But here's the kicker....That water now preheats the substrate. Now get some more water boiling while that warm poo soaks. Right before the water is up to boil, dump/drain the water from the stinky sub. Now you will have a sub that been leached and is also warm. Now add your coir and or verm. Then dump the boing water in again. Cover that and let it sit overnight. The temps should be prefect for pasteurization and when it starts to cool it will promote healthy fermentation of the stuff you do want grow side by side with yer shrooms. Drain that pretty good for about 8 hours then add your spawn. Then comeback with some feedback? That just the basic idea anyway. Sorry for not doing a full write up but its just a quick idea assuming one can fill in the blanks.

• pastyoureyes, Tankado78, Moonless and 1 other like this

#3 Tankado78

Tankado78

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 52 posts

Posted 26 February 2021 - 04:13 PM

Good to see ya Tank! Hey one thing that has worked well for me (there are many ways that can work) is take that fresh poo, dump it into a cooler or heavy duty garbage can with a good lid. Boil up a bunch of water, depending on the amount of poo you're using of course. When I dump that boiling water on the cold poo it instantly drops to about 100-120f that is not where you want it. But here's the kicker....That water now preheats the substrate. Now get some more water boiling while that warm poo soaks. Right before the water is up to boil, dump/drain the water from the stinky sub. Now you will have a sub that been leached and is also warm. Now add your coir and or verm. Then dump the boing water in again. Cover that and let it sit overnight. The temps should be prefect for pasteurization and when it starts to cool it will promote healthy fermentation of the stuff you do want grow side by side with yer shrooms. Drain that pretty good for about 8 hours then add your spawn. Then comeback with some feedback? That just the basic idea anyway. Sorry for not doing a full write up but its just a quick idea assuming one can fill in the blanks.

Thankx Mikey!
I appreciate you taking the time to read my rant n actually respond. Lol. I'm gonna put that into works 2 day. I haven't weighed out the poo, so I really don't know how much I'm working with. I have thermometer, so I'll be able to make sure the temperatures reach the desired n right temps needed.. Regardless, I'm sure I'll be able to figure it out once the coir n verm is added. I figure as long as my field capacity is up 2 par in the end, I would assume it was done right. Once again, thank you 4 the advice n as always, I'll keep ya updated on the progress.

• coorsmikey likes this

#4 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 944 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 February 2021 - 04:04 AM

So the amount of water you use leaches the poo effectively enough?

#5 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,632 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 March 2021 - 07:03 AM

Hello Family!
Once again I've been missing in action, but only because I've been nocc'n up jars, getting rid of contam jars, preppin' to get a fruit chamber started, etc.etc. So, in between reading all you guys post, I've been on my job so 2 speak. Ok, getting down to business. When it comes to doing grows, whether it be fungi, cannabis, or other exotic plants, I tend to be or try to be frugal or what most ppl would describe as being 'cheap.' LOL. I'm always looking for ways to save a buck that way I can put the cash into more or better supplies n things as such. With that being said, when it comes to the shrooms, I go out n collect horse manure n use that as my free substrate. I usually will set the fresh manure on a old window screen, hose it down with water, n allow it 2 bake in the sun for a few days n I end up wit cracker dry manure that has been leech'd n pasteurized. I then proceed to add coir n verm n eventually the grains that have been spawn'd. Since its still pretty kold out n not enough sun light that I need, I was wondering if there's ways around my usual process? I have the fresh horse manure n I wanted to know if I could leave it fresh, add my coir n verm, n then use the oven pasteurization tek? Basically I'm trying to skip out on drying out the horse manure,, sun bathing n leeching. I want to know if its possible to add all my ingredients n just have the heat from the oven take care of any contamination or bacterial issues. If anyone has tried this b4 or just have any information on this, I would greatly appreciate you. Sending nothing but well wishes, good vibes, n even bigger blessings to you all! Once again, Thank You in advance!

Mushrooms require a certain C:N ratio or constraints and while optimal ratios vary by species, i do know fesh horse manure is way to high in nitrogen. You need to compost it or at least semi-compost it. Aerobic microbes will use a lot of the nitrogen while also making nitrogen readily available in the manure. When you say fresh manure, you collected it while it was still steaming? I may be exaggerating but you get what im asking i think.

Edited by Microbe, 01 March 2021 - 07:05 AM.

#6 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,632 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 March 2021 - 07:11 AM

Have you tried this? Im going to be honest here, i don't like it. Now to be fair i have never done it so i don' know. Im thinking there is too much nitrogen in fresh manure and leaching my remove the nitrogen that is bond to the urine that is more then likely present, so maybe your theory would work assuming that gets the nitrogen down to range. There still the issue of the bond nitrogen that won't be readily available requiring the mushroom to work a little harder but that really isn't relevant for this topic. Im like 3 days late so im pretty sure we are going to see the results good or bad.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!