#21 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 1,017 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 February 2021 - 09:58 AM

Anyone have any experience with the digital usb scopes?
I'm considering the mustool g1200.

#22 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 7,037 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 February 2021 - 10:39 AM

I think the place to start is super good optics......so my personal technical understanding of the subject is that the imaging device, camera, should be of as high a pixel count array as your budget allows and that MUST be coupled with good light transmitting optics which of course form the image on the CCD array, so the digital image device is only going to/can produce an image of characteristics directly related to what the glass produces.......only two way's that I know of (that are acceptable to me) to get there.......get SUPER LUCKY or drop the $$$....

A

Edited by Arathu, 28 February 2021 - 10:40 AM.

• Needles and Microbe like this

#23 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,637 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 February 2021 - 11:25 AM

Anyone have any experience with the digital usb scopes?
I'm considering the mustool g1200.

This is for microscope cameras, but as far the imaging aspect, which is what digital USB microscopes are, consider all these factors then look at the specs of that mustool g1200.

https://www.olympus-...roscope-camera/

#24 sandman

sandman

Saint PP

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,133 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 February 2021 - 11:26 AM

Say a man had $1k to drop on a scope for looking at mycelium and liquid cultures on slides for gram stains what's a pro choice?

I just remembered I had donated my student scope a while back so I gots no glasses.

#25 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,808 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 February 2021 - 11:27 AM

With USB cameras there are a few caveats to be aware of:

If you choose crazy-high image resolution, you'll need the processing power to view those images in real time as you adjust the X-Y mechanical stage.

High-resolution images at low processing speed become lagged and you have to allow time for buffering. Think of watching a video and waiting for the image to buffer.

Most USB cameras allow you to adjust the image resolution. You may find that once you find the resolution which works best you'll likely just stick to that setting. (Which makes it a waste to have purchased higher resolution equipment).

Just sayin'

The most expensive thing is not always the best.

I have several microscopes available to me. Waiting to get into the lab for some fungal propagation. Hoping to get some fun images to share.

My personal scope is a Kyocera (Japan). She's an oldie but a goodie. I once had an AmScope USB camera that worked with this scope but the software for the camera was no longer supported and the unit became useless with microsoft's operating system.  Money wasted.

I have two other microscopes at work. Both of them are AmScopes and I haven't really messed with them much. Both have integrated USB cameras and I'm curious to see if they still work. If they are un-supported, I may try loading a PC with Linux since most software seems to work with this platform.

• Arathu likes this

#26 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,844 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 February 2021 - 12:03 PM

Found the Linux user, currently tinkering with my work computer (ubuntu/gnome brew).

One thing I will say, is the current consensus among my peers using scopes...LED FUCKING SUCKS! It flattens everything and alters colors differently then we are used to. I've adapted but I do cream over older machines from the 50's, German made typically. The heavier the better.

edit: After contacting a techy peer, LED does translate better to print/digital. Halogen is just what us old fogeys are used to. White vs Blue (which is a whole another discussion if you want to get into optics)

Edited by rockyfungus, 28 February 2021 - 12:10 PM.

#27 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,637 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 February 2021 - 04:07 PM

Here is my student AmScope. Its alright, it works better now that i use supplemental lighting, but the resolution and contrast are horrible at higher magnifications such as using the oil immersion object. Didn't have much time to play around with it but was able to mount a few slides of mycelium with one being stained.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20210228_150026.jpg
  • 20210228_145945.jpg
  • 20210228_144608.jpg
  • 20210228_144230.jpg
  • 20210228_144015_HDR.jpg
  • 20210228_143858.jpg
  • 20210228_142104.jpg
  • 20210228_142057.jpg
  • 20210228_142104.jpg

#28 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,637 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 February 2021 - 04:17 PM

Say a man had $1k to drop on a scope for looking at mycelium and liquid cultures on slides for gram stains what's a pro choice?

I just remembered I had donated my student scope a while back so I gots no glasses.

You dropping that kind of money, go with a Nikon Labophot. I will be jealous of you
  • sandman likes this

#29 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 7,037 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 February 2021 - 04:27 PM

Maybe I will get a digital camera and set a Linux box up for nothing but HI-Rez imaging.....

It is definitely memory intensive but I am fortunate to have a world full of gamester's that trade in video cards like they change boxers....hopefully on both counts

small_GEDC2420.jpg

My AmScope.....she ain't from Germany or Switzerland......

But it works OK for me....

A

• sandman and YoshiTrainer like this

#30 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 7,037 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 February 2021 - 04:34 PM

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254835801948

AND it needs work done to it......

I'll have to prove to my fancier that I NEED something like that.........she'll tell me to go ride my motorcycle........

Look what I can do! Spend money like a rock star.......hahahaha.......

A

Edited by Arathu, 28 February 2021 - 04:36 PM.

• sandman likes this

#31 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,637 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 February 2021 - 05:06 PM

I'll have to prove to my fancier that I NEED something like that.........she'll tell me to go ride my motorcycle........

A

That is nananananasty. I see a divorce in my future
  • sandman, Arathu and Needles like this

#32 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,844 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 February 2021 - 05:07 PM

See if you can find a local company that sells/repairs/trades microscopes. Not sure how it works, but in my field that has switched from analog/digital scopes. Sometimes they give you crazy deals for trading an old digital camera in. Or old scopes...

• sandman likes this

#33 Needles

Needles

Locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 1,393 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 March 2021 - 12:11 PM

post-136520-0-26397200-1615050442.jpg

Ill try to keep up with you folks. Hopefully I can also help with anyone just getting started too. When getting started and if you want to watch mycelium grow on a petri plate then stereo or dissecting scope is a great start. 

This is my Nikon SMZ 10 it has separate optical controls that make it awesome for photography.

• Arathu, Microbe and YoshiTrainer like this

#34 Needles

Needles

Locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 1,393 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 March 2021 - 12:21 PM

When available I would pick up old scopes like these as decor for my office. they will work, but not what a person would like to examine spores and Bactria with.

post-136520-0-02930100-1615051164.jpg

decore scopes.jpg

• Arathu, Microbe and YoshiTrainer like this

#35 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 7,037 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 March 2021 - 03:27 PM

The first step in recovery IS admitting you have a problem..........hahahahaha........

I have nothing to talk about myself actually as I have a similar collection but of industrial electronics that I probably should get rid of at some point...

It's not like I could actually claim it's Industrial decor......at least not legitimately......... I should donate a big pile of books somewhere too....

I also have a 30X inspection scope and a 100X Cole Parmer portable monocular.....goes in a backpack well....

small_20210306_bundle_001.jpg

Bundleflower seed tip ..........

A

• Needles, Microbe and FLASHINGROOSTER like this

#36 Needles

Needles

Locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 1,393 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 March 2021 - 03:27 PM

A

That is nananananasty. I see a divorce in my future

Very cool scope. What makes it awesome is that it’s a phase contrast microscope. The camera attached needs a controller and is so far outdated. I had many of them that went out in the trash. Although the trinocular head attachment will work with a modern digital camera if you have lenses and camera mounts.

• Microbe likes this

#37 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 7,037 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 March 2021 - 03:28 PM

We posted at the exact same time! Hahahahahaha

Far out!

A

• Needles likes this

#38 Needles

Needles

Locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 1,393 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 March 2021 - 03:42 PM

Yes, addiction is a good word. I had a person not interested in microscopy see my office and ask how many microscopes do you need. I replied all of them and more to come lol.... I’m still shy of a polarizing microscope and a electron microscope. 

That micrometer calibration slide is cool, we should do a short Tutorial on using one especially with a digital microscope camera

• Arathu, Microbe and rockyfungus like this

#39 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 7,037 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 March 2021 - 04:23 PM

https://www.ebay.com...NAAAOSwVoVdpngX

Hahahahaa......you need an engineer type geek to help maintain it????? Looks pretty cool in fact.....

I'm betting much more along the 30K models if it has a chance of working even remotely well......good instrumentation is NOT cheap....

A

Edited by Arathu, 06 March 2021 - 04:27 PM.

• Needles and Microbe like this

#40 Needles

Needles

Locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 1,393 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 March 2021 - 07:44 PM

https://www.ebay.com...NAAAOSwVoVdpngX

Hahahahaa......you need an engineer type geek to help maintain it????? Looks pretty cool in fact.....

I'm betting much more along the 30K models if it has a chance of working even remotely well......good instrumentation is NOT cheap....

A

Oh man Arathu, just checked and a 232 credit score and 1400.00 USD stimulus down payment  wont buy the scope...lol

Edited by Needles, 19 March 2021 - 07:47 PM.

• coorsmikey, Arathu, bezevo and 1 other like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!