12 replies to this topic

#1 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Walk's between...

• 7,992 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 February 2021 - 06:18 PM

I started building this in January, after being inspired by a site I stumbled on while researching the wee folk...........

I liked the rules which mainly was you cannot harm a tree or plant, and all the material used to build a fairy home must be collected, gathered, or made.

I found that once I had this little project in my mind, a walk in the yard picking up sticks, bark, rocks, and any potential building material became quite enjoyable. It was stimulating to the creative side, and often felt like the wee folk were guiding me at times.

I did not rush through this, and worked on it when I had a little time, or needed a break from the world...........

Some of the big parts of the framing were pieces of interesting wood I had had around for years. I even incorporated an old bonsai tree that died, and I didn't have the heart to toss it out thinking I would try to use it for "something", someday. I built the doors and two windows out of clay. I may yet paint those as the color seems a bit strong, and a softer grey-tone would fit better I think.

Once I had a pretty good gathering of materials, I started with the frame. I had no plans, and the house shape was determined by how the bigger wood pieces fit together.

This is the framework.

(I had to really alter the contrast and light because of the poor picture quality)

My Farie House -woodframe 1.jpg    My Farie House- Wood frame 2.jpg

I used a piece of thin plywood to make the solid walls, and had to use a jig saw to cut the odd shapes. The fun came with making the wall coverings and window framing. Finding sticks to fit the shapes, and bark to make a side shingle of sorts was kind of like a jigsaw puzzle.

The front and one side were like a mini -masonry job.

The entire build felt like it was taking on its own life and personality............

I did want this completed before the spring equinox, as I plan to place it in the yard in a natural setting (somewhat). Hopefully it will attract a few inhabitants....

So here it is after completion. This was quite fun to make.

House face sized 14.jpg   House front corner sized 11.jpg

House N Side sized 13.jpg House corner sized16.jpg

And this is after I set it on the wood base under the tree where it will be.

In Place sized 221.jpg   In Place sized 17.jpg

In Place side sized19.jpg   In Place side sized18.jpg

• coorsmikey, Arathu, Mrs.Hippie3 and 12 others like this

#2 ElPirana

ElPirana

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 965 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 February 2021 - 08:11 PM

That’s so cool Skye! I really like the way you made the red window frames on the top. The whole thing really seems so natural and flows beautifully. Makes me imagine something from a fairy tale.
Thanks for sharing this!
  • Skywatcher and Juthro like this

#3 EYMAIOS

EYMAIOS

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 268 posts

Posted 28 February 2021 - 04:19 AM

Brother Skye,

As a senior Architect by profession, I congradulate your proven ability in constructing this miracle!
You have the gift of visualization needed to charge your intention into a functional Sacred Temple!

By the way let me document my experience in fairies:
In my Island there is a centuries long tradition of fairies.

Locals call them "Angeloudes", translated "Little Angels"
So 20 years ago after moonshining all day long and drinking Raki in a very isolated area with a friend, at about midnight, I heard angellic female voices singing something similar to Delibe's "Lakme", ...but far better. Singing was coming from an inaccessible dark creek.
My friend looked my ashtonised face and said before I told him anything:

Dont worry, it is "Angeloudes" singing, they salute our moonshining...

PS

Spray the construction with min 2 layers of "mat" fixatif to ensure endurance.

• Skywatcher likes this

#4 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 323 posts

Posted 28 February 2021 - 09:55 AM

Wonderful little construct you've got there! You know you'll need to plant some Magic around it to attract the right kind of tenants...

• Skywatcher, EYMAIOS and Moonless like this

#5 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 7,035 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 February 2021 - 11:50 AM

Wow that is really cool Skye...nice work.....get it set up good and secure and in favorable space and put up the "open house" signs..........

Later this year I'll take you guys out, by camera, poetry, and prose to a spot I know where "things" can be heard..... it's a bit treacherous right now....

I find that some the most special spots out and about are inhabited by what people consider to be dangerous critters....the above mentioned place is home to many rattlesnakes....

Among quite a few other inhabitants.......I have some spots about the acre where I've invited co inhabitants.....as if this ground we actually mine to do that with.....

I've also attempted dissuade some which have proven themselves a little less than desirable......... it's always a matter of balance.....

Beautiful house man....I imagine that done full sized in nice hidden hollow someplace.....

#6 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 4,429 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 February 2021 - 02:27 PM

Very artsy, Skye.

Can you tie dye it ?  :)

• Skywatcher likes this

#7 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Walk's between...

• 7,992 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 February 2021 - 05:32 PM

Thank you all for the comments !

I actually am already missing the project, as it was a very therapeutic outlet for me. I could totally bring it back in, and start constructing interior, but I will leave it with a simple fireplace at the rear wall, and a comfy moss pile for sleeping.....

I may yet need to start again with another, as my eye is trained now to spot and pick up nice pieces of bark, interesting sticks and dry vines, etc. etc....

I have quite a collection still.

EMAIOS, Thank you for your compliment. I did consider applying a sealing coat of clear, but a little alarm went off in my head that said natural is better, and I had a visualization of small folk holding their nose in disgust......

I know it will wear and age in the weather, but I am available for repairs if needed....

FunnyFarmer, I did in part, select the outside location I did because I feed the local birds there, and the perpetual sprinkling of bird seed on the ground seems to culture a most interesting and changing variety of mushrooms and fungi every year....

Arathu, I would love to see any of your "special spots" you would care to share. I too have some places I visit from time to time, that are filled with magic and inhabited by a variety of "beings". I have not been there for quite a few years now, as the hike is not an easy walk once off the trail, and the combination of my tricky knee and left leg has probably curtailed future visits.

I do invite "visitors"  to my small sanctuary in the back, and feel, hear, and catch glimpses sometimes. I wanted to build this to perhaps be more welcoming (besides the fact that it was most enjoyable). Friday was the full "Snow Moon", and thought I heard voices a few times in the area. Usually the waterfall is a favored area....

I have several pieces of Scottish Greenstone, that were taken with permission from land considered favored by wee folk. One of them has been a constant fixture on the east side of my tree, where the house is placed. The whole space outside seems attractive to Fey and Entities at times. I do keep it clear of any negative energies...........

and pharmer, I could tie dye it without the tying, but I do prefer it to blend in......

• Arathu, Juthro and ElPirana like this

#8 Mrs.Hippie3

Mrs.Hippie3

QueenBee

• Founders
  • 11,654 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 March 2021 - 09:36 AM

That is too cool sky! You are missing some mushrooms though.. my dollar tree sells little mushrooms for fairy or gnome gardens that would be perfect for that.. be easy to make them outta clay too.. painting a little welcome mat would be too cute! Hopefully you get some tenants soon.. lol
  • coorsmikey and Skywatcher like this

#9 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Walk's between...

• 7,992 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 March 2021 - 09:55 AM

That is too cool sky! You are missing some mushrooms though..

Thanks MrsH !

The lighting makes it harder to see, but of course I included mushrooms . I like the welcome mat idea. I am making some steps for the doors and could attach one to the bottom step.

House front corner mushrooms 11.jpg

• Mrs.Hippie3 likes this

#10 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 4,429 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 March 2021 - 11:37 AM

Dude, can you imagine the marketing coup a Tie Dyed Faerie House would make on Etsy?

#11 Mrs.Hippie3

Mrs.Hippie3

QueenBee

• Founders
  • 11,654 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 March 2021 - 02:12 PM

Oh yes! I see them now that you literally pointed them out! Lol.. blame it on my bad eyes.. lol..
I tye dyed a bird house for my husband many years ago.. it got weather beaten over the years and fell apart though.
Always wanted to do a little gnome garden.. got the little gnomes and mushrooms for it just need to get rocks and plants.. might finally do it when i move.. post more pics when you are finished please! Might do a project like this with my nephews this summer
  • Skywatcher likes this

#12 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,703 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 March 2021 - 03:37 PM

This thread brings to mind some art work for sale that I was recently looking at online.  I don't know how to just share the pic with the way their site is set up, so here is a link to the picture that I was thinking about.

https://displate.com...oIaAnx2EALw_wcB

I think the house is very cool, Skye.  As always you carry a lot of artistic expression through in your work.

• Skywatcher likes this

#13 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 3,017 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 March 2021 - 06:29 PM

Dang pharmer beat me in making an Etsy comment

Either way that is a far out Faerie house Sky, nice craftsmanship,

I mean who wouldn't want one of those in their yard

• Skywatcher likes this