#1 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,632 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 February 2021 - 10:00 PM

Wow! Has anyone watched " My Octopus Teacher" on Netflix? Amazing! I had no idea how intelligent an octopus is. I also had no idea they had such a short life span and this documentary is the adult version of "Charlotte's Web".

Lets talk Octopus!
  • vrooota, Skywatcher, EYMAIOS and 2 others like this

#2 vrooota

vrooota

Onamonapia

• Free Member
  • 688 posts

Posted 27 February 2021 - 10:40 PM

That show was amazing. I would watch it again. Nature is incredible.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk
  • Microbe likes this

#3 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,632 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 February 2021 - 10:42 PM

That show was amazing. I would watch it again. Nature is incredible.

I couldn't believe it! Especially when she grabbed all those shells and rocks and created armor to protect herself from the shark. They are so smart!
  • vrooota and EYMAIOS like this

#4 vrooota

vrooota

Onamonapia

• Free Member
  • 688 posts

Posted 27 February 2021 - 10:46 PM

It kind of made me want an octopus as a pet....but that's unreasonable. Need larger aquariums

• Microbe likes this

#5 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,212 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 February 2021 - 01:14 AM

They are intelligent, amazing creatures for sure.  We would sometimes (very rarely) catch small ones as bycatch when I was commercial fishing for crab in the Bearing Sea.  They are fascinating creatures.  There is so much that we don't know about what lives in the ocean. 

Another related, and similar fascinating sea creature are squid.  The Humboldt squid of the sea of Cortez have a certain fascination factor for me.  They are also known for being intelligent, and by flashing patterns of color with their skin they communicate with one another. 

There are reports of some growing as long as 8 feet, and weighing over 100 pounds, though their size seems to be closer to half that for most specimens. 

I would not want to be in the water with them, they have a reputation as man killers, and often hunt as communities of well over 1000 squid.

Edited by Juthro, 28 February 2021 - 01:34 AM.

• Skywatcher, Microbe, Moonless and 1 other like this

#6 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 873 posts

Posted 28 February 2021 - 10:11 AM

All Cephalpods are amazing creatures, cuttlefish are crazy too!

• Skywatcher and Microbe like this

#7 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 4,278 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 February 2021 - 02:30 PM

When I win the lottery my man cave will include, among other things, several salt water aquariums, and the best stereo system money can buy.

"Honey, where have you been all day?"

"In heaven"

:)

#8 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Walk's between...

• 7,690 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 February 2021 - 05:42 PM

My experience with an octopus housed in a 100 gal. aquarium/reef setup many years ago, was that they are unbelievably clever and escape artists. They can squeeze themself through a very small hole if motivated. We had to go searching on several occasions in the store I worked at, when closing crew had forgotten to lock down the lid on its tank.

• Juthro, Microbe, Boebs and 1 other like this

#9 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,632 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 March 2021 - 06:20 AM

My experience with an octopus housed in a 100 gal. aquarium/reef setup many years ago, was that they are unbelievably clever and escape artists. They can squeeze themself through a very small hole if motivated. We had to go searching on several occasions in the store I worked at, when closing crew had forgotten to lock down the lid on its tank.

They are intelligent. Not sure if you seen the documentary, but a shark comes in and spots the octopus and a cat and mouse game begins. This octopus wrapped itself up in the kelp, grabbed ricks and shells (hundreds of them) it a just a few seconds and proceeded to protect its head before jumping on the back of the shark and rode on its dorsal fin.
  • Skywatcher likes this

#10 Nicked

Nicked

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 296 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 March 2021 - 08:27 AM

What a fantastic documentary and story. I am really happy with how well it's been received. It's not often that a South African movie/documentary ends up being so well received. They are a truly incredible animal and that film captured that so well. I'm lucky enough to live a 15min drive from where it was filmed and spend a lot of time in the ocean here (mostly surfing but sometimes snorkelling or fishing too). 

• Microbe and rockyfungus like this

#11 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 873 posts

Posted 01 March 2021 - 09:20 AM

What type of board do you ride (length)? I haven't surfed in over 15 years ( or lived near the coast).

I miss swimming in general now that I think about it...

Edited by rockyfungus, 01 March 2021 - 11:05 AM.

• Nicked likes this

#12 Nicked

Nicked

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 296 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 March 2021 - 02:20 PM

What type of board do you ride (length)? I haven't surfed in over 15 years ( or lived near the coast).

I miss swimming in general now that I think about it...

I have 4 boards I use that vary between 5'8 and 6'1. DOn't know what I'd do without surfing to be honest. The ocean keeps me sane and happy for sure!

• rockyfungus likes this

#13 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 2,255 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 March 2021 - 06:38 PM

FOAF has a black light psychedelic poster of one in his house  :biggrin:  :tongue:

I remember watching a documentary about how they have all these different brains to do all the complex actions going on. They eluded to them being a sort of evolutionary equivalent of man, and some like to theorize that the only reason they did not take over the planet (Gaint Octopus) was the lack of ability to pass down knowledge. Since the mother has a one and only birth cycle that she dies at the end. She will lay those eggs and then stay under that rocky outcropping to protect them for months without eating.

Anyway have not yet watched that doc and probably will after I log off, sounds like they either used some footage from the planet earth (or blue planet I can't keep them straight anymore) docs, or are growing evidence to document an once unknown behavior when the octopus wrapped the shells around like armor to protect from the shark.

Edited by FLASHINGROOSTER, 01 March 2021 - 06:39 PM.

#14 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 2,255 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 March 2021 - 04:06 PM

Okay that was pretty awesome to watch, thanks for recommending Microbe. I find Netflix tiresome to sort through to find the good stuff. If I had one criticism it would be that it was too much about the film maker but my guess is that is subjective to the viewer so for some it may have paid off well. That being said I would encourage everyone to watch it regardless of that point. It goes way more in depth than the blue planet doc, and there is a great connection formed for anyone who is an animal lover that's for sure

The part about drilling those tiny holes into shells was news to me.

Also It is the same fellow who lent his footage to the blue planet doc series that featured the shells used as protection against the sharks. I knew something looked familiar with it all. So that may be the only octopus to use shells that way as far as we know at this point

[Direct Link]

Anyway you guys might get a kick out of this short clip I found last year that focused on making an octopus friend

[Direct Link]

Edited by FLASHINGROOSTER, 02 March 2021 - 04:14 PM.

• Microbe likes this

#15 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,632 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 March 2021 - 07:05 AM

Okay that was pretty awesome to watch, thanks for recommending Microbe. I find Netflix tiresome to sort through to find the good stuff. If I had one criticism it would be that it was too much about the film maker but my guess is that is subjective to the viewer so for some it may have paid off well. That being said I would encourage everyone to watch it regardless of that point. It goes way more in depth than the blue planet doc, and there is a great connection formed for anyone who is an animal lover that's for sure

The part about drilling those tiny holes into shells was news to me.

Also It is the same fellow who lent his footage to the blue planet doc series that featured the shells used as protection against the sharks. I knew something looked familiar with it all. So that may be the only octopus to use shells that way as far as we know at this point

[Direct Link]

Anyway you guys might get a kick out of this short clip I found last year that focused on making an octopus friend

[Direct Link]

The octopus literally uses geometry to make them holes. I can see your point about the Doc being more about the filmmaker, but i believe that it was attended to be that way. It was just as much about him (the student) as the octopus (the teacher). Imma going to watch those videos you posted now.

#16 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 2,255 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 March 2021 - 03:58 PM

While we are talking octopus one should mention the cutest of them all. 

[Direct Link]

#17 Enjoil

Enjoil

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 April 2021 - 08:41 PM

My dude and I watched this after we each drank 5gs in lemon juice! It was epic! The ocean is such a magical place! Great movie to watch trippin.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!