5 replies to this topic

#1 ElPirana

ElPirana

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 997 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 March 2021 - 08:20 PM

Last year I started searching for wild mushrooms for the first time.  I began about a couple weeks too late to find morels.

This year I don't want to miss out, so I started searching for when morels will start popping up in my area.  I came across this cool website:

https://www.thegreatmorel.com/

gallery_158979_1740_97388.jpg

There are all kinds of useful information on the website.  They have maps for morel sightings.  https://www.thegreat...el-sightings/   People can add photos of their finds, descriptions with date and location.  Here's what the map looks like:

gallery_158979_1740_51993.jpg

I've already looked in my area and found out roughly when I should be out in the woods searching for morels.  Hopefully this can help others who are just learning about foraging for morels!

• Juthro, YoshiTrainer and jrh like this

#2 ElPirana

ElPirana

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 997 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 March 2021 - 01:39 PM

There’s an article on the above website that links to a YouTube video about identifying elm trees, which I just learned happens to be where morels are often found. The video is really good and worth a watch.

Last year I noticed that my tree identification skills were sub-par, so I had gotten a book that helps identify trees by the leaves. The video here shows other ways to identify elms and similar trees, mostly by the bark & seeds, since the leaves won’t be grown out that early in the year.

[Direct Link]

#3 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 1,352 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 March 2021 - 05:30 PM

A friend bought some property a few years back and has slowly been moving himself there. When talking to a neighbor, asking him to keep an eye on the place when he was gone, he found out his property was THE morel picking spot in the area. The neighbor asked to pick morels in exchange for watching the place. :)

Could he dry them and mail or is that sacrilege?
I just need to go visit during season!

Good luck on your hunt ElPirana!
  • ElPirana likes this

#4 ElPirana

ElPirana

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 997 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 March 2021 - 05:57 PM

A friend bought some property a few years back and has slowly been moving himself there. When talking to a neighbor, asking him to keep an eye on the place when he was gone, he found out his property was THE morel picking spot in the area. The neighbor asked to pick morels in exchange for watching the place. :)
Could he dry them and mail or is that sacrilege?
I just need to go visit during season!
Good luck on your hunt ElPirana!

That sounds like an awesome place! I hope you get a chance to look for some morels there sometime.

Well last year I found exactly zero, so it can only get better from there!
  • YoshiTrainer likes this

#5 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,864 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 March 2021 - 06:21 PM

I pick them in the Spring. .........right about now matter of fact.

They proliferate in sandy areas which are shaded by companion trees. The area I target is actually a little creek. The morels pop up around the bases of the trees and neighboring bushes about 8 feet above the running water level. - Not down in the wetter areas near the creek. I like to walk the bank and do some brush-whacking.

I walked right past a ton of them before I discovered one by accident and learned where to look. I was walking along the wet creek bank and not looking up the bank toward the upper, dryer areas.

I should add that I'm picking them in a Hardiness Zone 6 area but I'm going up to 7500 feet elevation to find the mushrooms.

Edited by Myc, 04 March 2021 - 06:26 PM.

• ElPirana and YoshiTrainer like this

#6 ElPirana

ElPirana

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 997 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 March 2021 - 07:47 PM

Sounds like some good advice Myc. I’m also in a hardiness zone 6, but closer to 950 ft. As I find some, I’m gonna make some notes and then see if I can scope out some more places for the next year.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!