4 replies to this topic

#1 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 2,255 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 March 2021 - 08:34 PM

So some of you may laugh at this but the other day I was watching someone make candles on youtube and It made me stop and ponder, wait how the hell does a candle really work. I mean it seems so simple, but without typing into the search bar right now ask yourself the same question.

Wax doesn't burn when you hold a lighter up to it, and a rope will burn up too quickly so how do those two combine to make a long lasting flame?

Take your googled answers elsewhere please I don't want them

Anyway it was one of those moments where a guy goes shit, there are so many basic inventions that man has used for thousands of years that I really don't understand.

• SteampunkScientist likes this

#2 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 8,022 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 March 2021 - 09:03 PM

Wax is heated into and oil that is absorbed by the wick and then continues to heat into a vapor that then becomes the fuel. Just as diesel doesn't burn in its normal state but when compressed and heated it is combustable. You can cake a bottle cap  and fill it with cooking oil and stick a paper wick in. Light it and it will burn like a candle. I wouldn't recommend this but if you heat a pan full of oil with no wick or no flame it can become explosively combustable. IMHE don't try and use water to put out a grease or oil fire.

Edited by coorsmikey, 04 March 2021 - 10:04 PM.

• SteampunkScientist, FLASHINGROOSTER and rockyfungus like this

#3 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 873 posts

Posted 05 March 2021 - 01:01 PM

My first torch for mycology work was ISO and a wick(paper towel)...Too sketchy and quickly switched to a torch.

[Direct Link]

• FLASHINGROOSTER likes this

#4 mushit

mushit

Shit Lover

• OG VIP
  • 2,307 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 March 2021 - 08:44 PM

Anyway it was one of those moments where a guy goes shit, there are so many basic inventions that man has used for thousands of years that I really don't understand.

Yup. I agree.

Another would be why is it you can smoke a whole shit load of weed and just reach a ceiling. We never get higher no matter how much more we smoke.

But when you ingest cannabis, as in a cookie, green Dragon, etc., there is no ceiling.  The more you eat, the higher you get!

Ya gotta love psychoactives. :biggrin:

#5 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 2,255 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 March 2021 - 11:57 AM

Mikey nails it

Yeah this lady was making super candles out of mason jars filled with vegetable oil. I had no idea it was that simple to make an emergency candle. I falsely pictured old oil lamps using more of a petroleum based flammable rather than this vegetable oil type of fuel

[Direct Link]

mmm I want to go eat some edibles now

Edited by FLASHINGROOSTER, 06 March 2021 - 11:58 AM.

• SteampunkScientist, rockyfungus and Ovoidhunter like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!