• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ChocolateStarfish

ChocolateStarfish

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 267 posts

Posted 07 March 2021 - 06:58 PM

So I am currently looking into cubes again, and one strains I find very fascinating (like most people) is penis envy.. but, after looking at current spore vendor selections, I see a strain called Melmac (homestead penis envy) which has very much caught my attention with very bumpy and mutated looking stems just like PE and some of the caps even look like PE in some pictures, but they don't quite look the same IMO. So I am asking you guys who have grown both Melmac(homestead PE) or even the Melmac TP variant as well as the classic PE. Either way I am going to be acquiring Melmac because i love those giant freaky looking fruits, and I have not seen any strain i have grown yet produce mushrooms that thick and bulbous... So once I get it, I will answer my own question, but that will be like a month and a half or so from now. 

I just would like to hear your experience with melmac and if it was more potent than the current PE genetics(i phrase it like that because supposedly melmac was the strain PE was stabalized from). I also just would like to know your preference now if you have grown both, Post some pics of your Melmac grow and harvest if you can, thanks!

• JACKOLANTERN, Moonless and MushLuvR like this

#2 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 9,136 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 March 2021 - 07:58 PM

Perhaps you could share some of these strains with us here at this community when you find out? Once circulated the there may be more experienced hands to answer you questions. I just look at all the jumbled words and assume that these are strain popular on Redit, Facebook, and maybe Shroomery. All of which have my busy life preventing myself from looking elsewhere for entertainment. If it ain't well documented here amongst the friend and folks I trust, then its not worth the effort for me to look into another cube. Send me some prints and I gladly help document the findings. But if I don't get it from any of you then why the hell would I need it. I have trouble keeping up with my own Crosses, Mutations and isolated mutated substrains that I can't name to dive into the viral word of misinformation.

I am trying to revive an actual "Homestead Book Co" Jumbo Sprorprint from 1984 at the moment.Does the Homestead PE have anything to do with that?

• Sidestreet, JACKOLANTERN, pastyoureyes and 3 others like this

#3 ChocolateStarfish

ChocolateStarfish

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 267 posts

Posted 09 March 2021 - 12:02 PM

Perhaps you could share some of these strains with us here at this community when you find out? Once circulated the there may be more experienced hands to answer you questions. I just look at all the jumbled words and assume that these are strain popular on Redit, Facebook, and maybe Shroomery. All of which have my busy life preventing myself from looking elsewhere for entertainment. If it ain't well documented here amongst the friend and folks I trust, then its not worth the effort for me to look into another cube. Send me some prints and I gladly help document the findings. But if I don't get it from any of you then why the hell would I need it. I have trouble keeping up with my own Crosses, Mutations and isolated mutated substrains that I can't name to dive into the viral word of misinformation.

I am trying to revive an actual "Homestead Book Co" Jumbo Sprorprint from 1984 at the moment.Does the Homestead PE have anything to do with that?

Yes, from what i know it is from some vendor from the 80s called homestead, and the strain was called melmac, so i dont really know a whole lot besides it was revived a couple years back and is now circulating, and it looks VERY different from normal PE, much more mutated but healthier fruits somehow. And I am with you completely, I don't trust reddit, but i find it is a decent place to acquire genetics that i can't find on website vendors or from trades on here and i mean hell! i got a set of 4 swab packs 1 psilocybe semilanceata 1 psilocybe caerulescens 1 gymnopilus luteofolius and 1 KAPE (hybrid of KSSS and APE) for $25 including shipping!! and at first i was much to the thought that 'a cube is a cube' so id just stick with what i know, which is penis envy uncut.. but upon reading about some of the hybrid varieties they had going around and seeing some of the interesting mutations like jack frost, which is an albino that produces blue spores made from hybridizing a true albino golden teacher and albino penis envy, or averys albino, which is an albino of the cambodian strain, or yeti which is a mutation of the true albino golden teachers that produce giant albino penis envy looking mushrooms they are truly monstrous, and then there is Ghost which is also a mutation of true albino golden teacher that produces albino penis envy looking fruits except they arent giant like yeti, and they have frilly caps that kind of curl at the bottom a little, and then there is pearly gates which is a hybrid of melmac homestead PE and true albino golden teacher, and i havent seen a picture of those fruits yet  . IMO after seeing pictures of jack frost fruits, i can say they are the most visually appealing cubes i have ever seen... but all of those were some of the most interesting strains i have ever seen and they are almost completely unmentioned on here as of yet, which is why i have been asking so many questions about them, because i thought one of you older/more experienced cultivators had probably gotten your hands on these spores already and i was just out of the loop... Either way you are very right and these new genetics need to be incorporated into the mycotopia community so we can get some experienced people working on these strains instead of the plethora of newbs that reddit is home to, some saying that these strains are near impossible to grow lol. I find myself going on there for hours correcting all the misinformation I can and recommending people come here for answers. 

If you are still interested in about a month and half or 2 months then ill totally send some swabs of each of these  i have finished your way (apparently thats the only way to take spores from most of these new strange varieties) and i will be very happy to get some of these strains going around here... I have a suspicion that, just like how we selectively bred our current marijuana to be really strong, we are currently doing that with the species psilocybe cubensis, we are selectively breeding it and cloning it to get more and more interesting genetics, but also we are trying to get more potent fruit out of it, and i think it is gradually working.

#4 ChocolateStarfish

ChocolateStarfish

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 267 posts

Posted 09 March 2021 - 12:05 PM

from 1995 marijuana potency has risen from 4% to the high 20s and sometimes even 30s that we see today in our dispensaries. . . I think this same thing is happening to cubensis because of how much we are genetically altering it. maybe that is just wishful thinking. oh well just a thought

• coorsmikey likes this

#5 sandman

sandman

Saint PP

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,133 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 March 2021 - 12:48 PM

I'm trying to poison some agar hoping to get random mutants, maybe I can get a wacky strong mutations.

I need to see what this place charges to test samples that I saw around.

• JACKOLANTERN and ChocolateStarfish like this

#6 Moonless

Moonless

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 919 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 March 2021 - 04:58 PM

This is slightly off topic but relating to the whole reddit vendor situation.

There are a bunch of interesting cubensis hybrid strains going around reddit rn. My favorite reddit vendor has like 4 different crosses that he offers. It wasn't like this last year.

At first I was like, there's no way there's this many new crosses floating around but after seeing the photos of KAPE, and mr.fahts grow log, I believe it.

Me personally I'm more interested in the newly cultivated strains found from the wild like Taman Negara but those cool crosses peak my interest for sure.
  • ChocolateStarfish likes this

#7 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 9,136 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 March 2021 - 07:19 PM

Crosses have been around for a long time. Its just until recently that folks can actually share their work much more easily. People stopped documenting crosses here cuz you have to have snake venom, a million dollar lab and a PHD to talk about it without conflict. Much like Fahtster who isn't claiming anything but what he is posting, Who the F wants to argue with mostly people that have only read about hybrids and mutants when you know who are doing the crosses and you share your results one on one. I totally lost interest in my thread with my work on crosses because I found myself cleaning up the garbage after not wanting to debate with wordsmiths that understood nothing about what was going on cuz they read it couldn't happen 20 years ago.

• fahtster, Jrotten, Moonless and 5 others like this

#8 ChocolateStarfish

ChocolateStarfish

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 267 posts

Posted 10 March 2021 - 09:07 PM

I'm trying to poison some agar hoping to get random mutants, maybe I can get a wacky strong mutations.

I need to see what this place charges to test samples that I saw around.

oh wow thats a cool idea! did you come up with that or is that something someone else has done to get mutations in the past?? Very interesting.

This is slightly off topic but relating to the whole reddit vendor situation.

There are a bunch of interesting cubensis hybrid strains going around reddit rn. My favorite reddit vendor has like 4 different crosses that he offers. It wasn't like this last year.

At first I was like, there's no way there's this many new crosses floating around but after seeing the photos of KAPE, and mr.fahts grow log, I believe it.

Me personally I'm more interested in the newly cultivated strains found from the wild like Taman Negara but those cool crosses peak my interest for sure.

I dont think this is that off topic, especially considering this is my third post about new strains i found on reddit this week. And I was much in the same boat as you, I thought that all of these strains were just vendors changing the names of already existing strains trying to get more sales, you know, being scoundrels? Lol, but after talking to a vendor and telling him what i was looking for, (mutations like PE) he told me to look at these specific strains - Jack Frost, Pearly Gates, Ghost, Yeti, KSSS, TAT, Avery's Albino, and Melmak. IDK why he included KSSS in there, its kind of out of place imo, but the rest of those strains produce some of the most breath taking fruits i have ever seen and i can not wait until i can start working with these genetics. I am SO pumped aside from the awesome 4 pack of exotic spore swabs i just got, i just got 4 more, 1 of Yeti 1 of True Albino Golden Teacher 1 of Melmac TP and 1 of Jack Frost. I have a lot of experimenting to do in the next few weeks. Now i just have to get Ghost, Pearly Gates, and Avery's Albino, but i don't think i want that one, and i also could get the OG Melmak variant, but i am sure Melmak TP is pretty much the same damn thing

Edited by ChocolateStarfish, 10 March 2021 - 09:12 PM.

• fahtster, coorsmikey, Salty117 and 1 other like this

#9 JACKOLANTERN

JACKOLANTERN

puking unicorn

• Free Member
  • 106 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 06:26 AM

I still think someone should genetically sequence these strains to find their origins. Looks like it could be a fun project.

#10 Salty117

Salty117

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 434 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 09:44 AM

Shakti is another stabilized isolate of Malabar Coast that has "True Albino" properties that I'm definitely keeping my eyes open for. Other than that I'm looking forward to working with the TAT and Jack Frost isolates

• MushLuvR likes this

#11 MushLuvR

MushLuvR

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 530 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 November 2021 - 11:48 AM

How about a TaT... AND a Melmac...

P1110068.JPG
P1110071.JPG
P1110065.JPG

#12 JACKOLANTERN

JACKOLANTERN

puking unicorn

• Free Member
  • 106 posts

Posted 09 November 2021 - 08:34 AM

So I am currently looking into cubes again, and one strains I find very fascinating (like most people) is penis envy.. but, after looking at current spore vendor selections, I see a strain called Melmac (homestead penis envy) which has very much caught my attention with very bumpy and mutated looking stems just like PE and some of the caps even look like PE in some pictures, but they don't quite look the same IMO. So I am asking you guys who have grown both Melmac(homestead PE) or even the Melmac TP variant as well as the classic PE. Either way I am going to be acquiring Melmac because i love those giant freaky looking fruits, and I have not seen any strain i have grown yet produce mushrooms that thick and bulbous... So once I get it, I will answer my own question, but that will be like a month and a half or so from now. 

I just would like to hear your experience with melmac and if it was more potent than the current PE genetics(i phrase it like that because supposedly melmac was the strain PE was stabalized from). I also just would like to know your preference now if you have grown both, Post some pics of your Melmac grow and harvest if you can, thanks!

I had some PE "Years past" from the works that looked very similar to the Melmac that were bulbus and weird and then some at other times from different grows that looked like regular penis envy.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!