Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,075 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 March 2021 - 10:01 PM

So it is what it is... lol

I know SWIM is out of vogue, but I will go with it for now. This person made a comment complimenting some very nice Penis Envy mushrooms on a FB mushroom group. Said poster offered to sell an oz for two bills from Denver CO. Having just found some free money, and having heard this was a new thing, the guy accepted the offer and made a bitcoin exchange for this hypothetical fruit. The next day there is a message saying the shipping company needs a $100 deposit refundable on delivery. SWIM was frustrated but covered it even if he did not get the deposit back. grumble grumble...

SWIM Checked tracking number a couple of times, today he got an email from said shipping company saying package is being held in customs for 3 tax stamps that can be temporarily paid to the tune of $525 also refundable on delivery. Supposedly if these stamps are not paid, customs will open the package and check contents. SWIM knows customs is only involved in mail coming into the country, not state to state and that this is most likely some bogus bullshit to take advantage of other idiots. (like swim) He figures the chances of some bogus company taking money for bogus tax stamps is more than likely bullshit and told said vendor to kindly go fuck himself. 

They interacted back and forth all day with one idiot trying to convince another idiot to pay big money to keep himself out of trouble. Swim figures he doesn't have any Penis envy in his possession and is probably not in any real trouble and continued with the fuck off strategy. He is very skeptical of any shipping company extorting customers to move shady containers through. 

Thoughts on this hypothetical situation? He figured this is a good place to ask if anyone else has experienced this and to warn other idiots not to be an idiot like SWIM seems to hypothetically be lol

Edited by Coopdog, 08 March 2021 - 10:03 PM.

• SteampunkScientist likes this

#2 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 4,278 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 March 2021 - 10:36 PM

Sorry to hear it but not surprised

This kind of scam must have a name by now.........something like Nigerian Prince

It seems highly improbable to me that the shipping company is in this alone, that the vendor is likely behind the whole thing

Is the shipping company a reputable name?

Is all the communication from the vendor, and none from the shipping company? Maybe the shipping company has no idea this is going on.

oops I see you mentioned an email FROM the shipping company. can you check the veracity of the email? maybe a call to the shipping company, anonymously, and ask if this is something they do?

something stinks big time

If you can get to the bottom of this, and I suspect the answer is a bogus vendor, you'd be doing a big public service to out the bastard

aha, Customs. SWIM was told this vendor was in Denver. More likely Dubai or Dongzwei

anyway, I'm subscribed :)

Edited by pharmer, 08 March 2021 - 10:39 PM.

• Myc, Coopdog and SteampunkScientist like this

#3 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 944 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 March 2021 - 11:08 PM

It's called getting zuckerberged.

Here's a PSA for you.

Don't use Facebook for anything ever!
  • Myc, Coopdog, SteampunkScientist and 4 others like this

#4 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,075 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 March 2021 - 11:37 PM

Someone doesn't use FB for any damn thing, this was a random event that sounded like a decent opportunity. He had just read right here on Topia that this could now be done or he never would have figured it was possible in the first place. Not something he would normally ever fall for. He knows exactly how and who FB is, but thought it might be a random good thing. Young, blooming businesses and all... RIIIIGHT? Someone isn't usually that gullible. Timing seemed good. 

Edited by Coopdog, 08 March 2021 - 11:42 PM.

• EYMAIOS and SteampunkScientist like this

#5 August West

August West

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 March 2021 - 12:24 AM

Someone isn't usually that gullible. Timing seemed good. 

I forgive SWIM. My situation didn't hold the same implications as theirs but I really wanted 4 tickets to see Garage-A-Trois who were touring (in small venues) for the first time in ten years. Shit was sold out so I gladly turned to Craigslist and used Venmo to relieve myself of that cash in exchange for...wait for it...no tickets. As I said, it's not exactly on topic with your...ahem...acquaintance's experience but, sometimes you just gotta try shit out.

• Coopdog, Juthro and SteampunkScientist like this

#6 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,075 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 March 2021 - 12:40 AM

Yes sir, as I told him before he ordered... too good to be true usually is.

• August West, Juthro and SteampunkScientist like this

#7 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,530 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 March 2021 - 01:18 AM

LMFAO!!!!!

FB is the fucking devil.

I liked the comment about the Nigerian scam artists. There is some punk sitting in an internet cafe, located somewhere in Africa, who has nothing better to do all day long than to rent time and exchange hostile, threatening ( even though empty and lacking conviction) exchanges..............

I guess this shit must really work.

If it was customs,  (I strongly imagine that) an alphabet agency would already have arrived at SWIM's doorstep.  SWIM should cease communication with the aforementioned extortionist and forget about it.

Or rather,

I am a Nigerian Prince........AllaDabaDooDa

If you would kindly give me your bank account number I would graciously transmit to you my family fortune which I cannot claim under my own name because I am in exile. It is a long, sad story...........which I will begin to type over a series of correspondence with which I will build trust and familiarity....................

LOL Get the idea?? -- Tell SWIM to read this and pretend it was me all along as he gets over the shock. Cease communications with this asshole-- is my advice to SWIM.

• Coopdog, Juthro and SteampunkScientist like this

#8 August West

August West

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 March 2021 - 01:48 AM

This will probably sound like bullshit but I had a friend ("had" 'cause he killed himself) who actually flew from the U.S. to Amsterdam to follow through with the Nigerian Prince scam. He talked another friend into going along just for the laughs. He figured if he didn't get a bunch of cash, he'd at least be in Amsterdam for a bit. The scammers actually had people there to meet him. My buddy didn't even have the amount of money they wanted to pull the scam off...Needless to say, they were unimpressed, and not royalty so my friends just got high for several days.

Always trying to remove the monies!

[Direct Link]

Edited by August West, 09 March 2021 - 01:51 AM.

• Myc, Coopdog, SteampunkScientist and 1 other like this

#9 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,075 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 March 2021 - 01:57 AM

Yep the guy is pretty damn sure there is no customs involved. His strong instinct is that this is one hell of a way to get fucked for 3 bills and lesson learned. He just got another email saying so you want your package checked? He said sure, have at it, and he had done nothing wrong, but that the proper authorities might be mighty interested in a shipping company selling federal tax stamps to extort people out of money. No answer...

Public service announcement here lol don't be an idiot like him!

• Myc, EYMAIOS, SteampunkScientist and 1 other like this

#10 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,212 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 March 2021 - 02:27 PM

I'm sorry for your friends circumstances, Coop.  Believing in your fellow man to honest and fair, and then being played sucks.  I've been there before, though not a long time (knock on wood).   I agree the best thing to do is cut your losses, and walk away.   

Though I have faith that karma will come around and settle the score for you in it's own time.   No one can run, or hide from karma, and it never forgets the score.  The thieves will reap the full rewards of their actions sooner, or later.

Edited by Juthro, 09 March 2021 - 02:42 PM.

• Coopdog and SteampunkScientist like this

#11 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,075 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 March 2021 - 03:00 PM

So, some investigation was done, no such company comes up with a google search. Now that SWIM is sure there are no real customs agents involved, the situation is almost funny. He really didn't lose anything because it was all done with bitcoin earnings that originally only had a $100 investment, so it did cost that I guess. If it was not free money the situation never would have gotten past the original offer lol. SMH, one of these days this SWIM fucker will grow up and keep his head out of his ass, but at his age it isn't likely lol. Who was it, maybe PT Barnum that said, "A fool and his money are soon parted." A wise man he was lol. Damn he really was looking forward to that Penis Envy too lol. SWIM might have to spend a few bucks and try a run of his own again. 

• SteampunkScientist, Moonless and coAsTal like this

#12 coAsTal

coAsTal

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 352 posts

Posted 09 March 2021 - 03:43 PM

Sucks to see-- but he's the reason the scammers exist-- people keep handing their money to them.

There's an entire ecosystem of parasites that live to exploit the gullible, the lazy, or the simply ignorant.

Mark it up as a lesson paid in his cash that could have been paid in his freedom.

It's a lesson all of us need to be reminded of-- the internet is real people-- and some of those real people are dangerous.

Also, tell "swim" to quit being lazy and grow his own mushrooms-- a private grower is a safe one...

:deadhorse:

• Sidestreet, Coopdog, SteampunkScientist and 1 other like this

#13 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 8,022 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 March 2021 - 07:53 PM

Foaf's don't let SWIM's buy mushrooms! Your SWIM friend should know that FOAF would send SWIM mushrooms for FREEEEE. But if Swim had no FOAF then I could understand the Facebook swindle. But C'mon we are FOAF's here anyway!

Edited by coorsmikey, 09 March 2021 - 07:53 PM.

• Coopdog, SteampunkScientist and FLASHINGROOSTER like this

#14 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 4,278 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 March 2021 - 10:04 PM

Only users lose drugs :tongue:

• Coopdog, SteampunkScientist and FLASHINGROOSTER like this

#15 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 2,255 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 March 2021 - 01:40 PM

I would rather not share one of my getting scammed stories but hopefully it makes a guy feel a little better knowing he is not alone. :wink:. That one was purely wanting to believe something was not too good to be true, and I paid for it.

My best friends dad is out of it and he seems to get scammed once or twice a year. From the  20,000 dollar furnace he was convinced he needed to upgrade by a door to door salesman to the 2000 he sent to a guy in Thailand using the actual old Nigerian scam of. You send me x amount of dollars and I can double or triple it for you no problem. Or you have won 10,000 dollars all you have to do to claim it is send me 500 so I can afford to blah blah blah. Even my mothers bf sent 1000 dollars via pay pal to "Microsoft" to fix a computer that was worth 500. Luckily he got that money back

Some of you may get a kick out of these scam the scammer channels on you tube, well I know I sure did after I got scammed.

[Direct Link]

The one I am not so embarrassed about was trying my first bit coin washer on the dark web. I send you the money and you walk away....okay so that was a phishing scam site or the actual site is a scam. Either way that was really dumb. Should have done some more research. I did learn a good lesson farting around on the dark web, a guy should try to do as much poking around as possible about a websites credibility before ordering online. The dark web even has a review system, but then there is the issue of sorting out the fake review websites from the real one's. Round and round the game goes and they vacuum up newbies bitcoins like it was on old couch hidden with treasure.

Someone once put it like this, the advent of the internet has increased drug buyers physical safety from police and or the sellers. I mean it takes much of the risk out when all you really have to do is go to the post office box pick it up and then drive it to your house. No snitch's across the street to worry about or the dealers roommates that got squeezed on a minor drug offense hoping to rat you out.

However it has increased the chances of getting scammed

Edited by FLASHINGROOSTER, 10 March 2021 - 01:43 PM.

• Coopdog likes this

#16 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,074 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 March 2021 - 03:57 PM

Sometimes the school of hard knocks charges tuition for its lessons, too. So those kinds of losses are best written off as educational expenses.

As far as call center scams go, this was a good article about tracking them back the source: https://www.nytimes....ll-centers.html

There are a bunch of websites that claim to be owned by Elon Musk (with impressive production values) that are convincing more people than I would think would fall for it that if you send them Bitcoin Elon will double whatever you send, with a minimum amount accepted set at 1 BTC (which at this current moment is worth $54,019.99). So that one transaction could cost someone over $54K, and has.

I would suggest that any offers of large sums of free money be looked at with at least a little bit of skepticism, maybe backed up by the bare minimum of due diligence.

Since I wrote the value of 1 BTC up there about a minute ago the price has since risen to $56,279.57. I just missed my chance to make a couple grand, apparently.

• Coopdog likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!