#1 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

Distinguished Mad Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 4,166 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 March 2021 - 08:24 PM

After growing for years, these fungal friends never cease to amaze me.

Here is a pic of a tub I have going with some B+ from an year old plate. Now I have a couple others fruiting normally, but what the hell are these doing?

Those are some weird mycelium "tufts" or knots sitting on the substrate. Never seen this before. I cut one out because I saw bluish green in the center and thought I had contamination.

Nope, it's blue because it's psyliscibin! You can see some small normal pins starting to form as well.

Anyone know what is going on here?

(The bubbles you see are from my 1.5% hydrogen peroxide spritz solution.)

IMG_20210311_201517858_noexif.jpg

Edited by SteampunkScientist, 11 March 2021 - 08:26 PM.

• Juthro likes this

#2 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 11 March 2021 - 10:09 PM

I don’t have a clue, but can you explain the spritz solution please if it won’t derail the thread too terribly?
  • SteampunkScientist likes this

#3 jrh

jrh

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 546 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 March 2021 - 10:45 PM

Do you mean the blobs?

#4 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 4,166 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 March 2021 - 10:51 PM

The white blobs that almost resemble puff balls but are dense and fibrous.

The hydrogen peroxide solution kills trich spores without damaging the mycelium or pins. I use a multi level sterile approach that works very well.
  • Coopdog, Jrotten, bezevo and 1 other like this

#5 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 11 March 2021 - 11:51 PM

Chlorine give me weird growths. If I put too much in the FC water reservoir. I’ve had B+ do the aerial bit with a touch of blobbing if I later the sub and then add a casing. It makes the growth very vertical, then the chemicals give me blobs and mutations. Maybe something along those lines?

I am in a trich rich environment, I might give the peroxide a shot, I shock the fogger with chlorine which I read about for dealing with bacterial blotch in button mushroom cultivation. It’s hard to gauge though since my FC is outside and the fogger has to be adjusted a lot depending on ambient conditions.

#6 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 4,166 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 March 2021 - 04:35 PM

Yeah. I think I may just take the safe approach and throw this out.  Not feeling like taking a risk on it.

#7 sandman

sandman

That Motherfucker

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,022 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 March 2021 - 01:49 PM

Possibly has some kind of mycoparasite similar to dry bubble. Basically a tag a long has infected the culture.

Probably something that could be infectious to your other tubs and cultures.

Edited by sandman, 13 March 2021 - 01:51 PM.

• SteampunkScientist and Spudman85 like this

#8 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 4,166 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 March 2021 - 09:24 PM

Additional research has me now thinking this is a mutation that can happen without enough FAE despite the fact I'm quite certain of my parameters. I'm not seeing it on any other tubs so this may be a fluke.

However, it appears to also indicate a healthy and agresive mycelium.

So I'm going to keep it. See what happens.
  • Coopdog likes this

#9 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,632 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 March 2021 - 04:24 PM

Looks like Mycogyne perniciosa, or Wet Bubble Disease.

#10 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,075 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 March 2021 - 11:04 PM

Segregate it, keep it and see what happens mang!

#11 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 4,166 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 March 2021 - 10:07 PM

Well I had a massive growth of healthy looking mushies, and the blobs shrank. When I harvested, I just pulled out the 2 or three blobs that were left. Now it all looks normal.
  • sandman likes this

#12 SMOKIEDABEAR

SMOKIEDABEAR

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 April 2021 - 06:06 PM

I have a question has anybody ever heard of Uncle Ben's ready rice just regular white rice and KSSS being able to eat through metal I use them those turkey trays from Wally world the large one's about 3in deep and I noticed something on more than one of the trays it seems like that mycelium is eating through it I'll have pictures soon I'm not going to mess with it I first noticed a little tiny hole with some white going up the side of the tray on the outside and I cleaned it off and I believe it is myc breaking down the aluminum????

Edited by SMOKIEDABEAR, 06 April 2021 - 06:08 PM.

#13 SMOKIEDABEAR

SMOKIEDABEAR

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 April 2021 - 06:11 PM

Ne1 trying uvc germicidal light for trouble spots and other issue how is it working out for you???

Edited by SMOKIEDABEAR, 06 April 2021 - 06:11 PM.

#14 sandman

sandman

That Motherfucker

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,022 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 April 2021 - 06:27 PM

Yes mycelium will eat through tin cooking trays. 

Germicidal lights are great for sterilizing hard surfaces and even air. But they are not for skin, eye and culture exposure. 

• PJammer24 likes this

#15 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,074 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 April 2021 - 06:47 PM

Yes mycelium will eat through tin cooking trays. 

Germicidal lights are great for sterilizing hard surfaces and even air. But they are not for skin, eye and culture exposure. 

My suspicion is that the holes come from an electrolysis reaction.

What made me think that was when I found holes in brand-new aluminum pans I'd just used to pasteurize hpoo with and so had never had mycelium growing in them. At first I thought the acidity of fungal metabolites was causing it but my hpoo is neutral or real close to it when I pasteurize it so it might just be a characteristic of those kinds of pans when left with wet organic material sitting in them for weeks at room temp (or hours at 160-170 degrees when pasteurizing).

I wonder if a sacrificial anode would prevent the corrosion like how they work in water heaters? That might be interesting to find out but I quit using aluminum trays or pans altogether a long time ago.

• sandman and coorsmikey like this

#16 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,548 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 April 2021 - 08:57 AM

Possibly has some kind of mycoparasite similar to dry bubble. Basically a tag a long has infected the culture.

Probably something that could be infectious to your other tubs and cultures.

He said calling all "experts"... man... you sure have developed a high opinion of yourself Sandy!

• sandman and SteampunkScientist like this

#17 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,548 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 April 2021 - 08:57 AM

My initial thought on the blobs were some kind of genetic degeneration due to the age of the culture you took it from. I don't know how it was stored but I don't typically keep plates for over a year. I would also not expect a jar of grain, fridge kept for a year, would be as vigorous as a fresh one and may see some genetic degeneration due to stress. I have attempted to grow from plates that I have left sitting around in the past. There have been times when they grew perfectly well and there have been times when they seemed either less aggressive than I would have expected from that particular clone, they produced strange fruits, or they contaminated more easily... If it was a slant in the fridge than my theories are completely bunk.

Sandy's theory makes sense to me also... If that plate had been sitting around, it could have become contaminated in some way prior to using it for spawn.

#18 stmhunter

stmhunter

stxsp

• Free Member
  • 710 posts

Posted 07 April 2021 - 01:11 PM

get that once in a while, I've just let go, still got good flushes.

#19 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 4,166 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 April 2021 - 12:48 PM

My initial thought on the blobs were some kind of genetic degeneration due to the age of the culture you took it from. I don't know how it was stored but I don't typically keep plates for over a year. I would also not expect a jar of grain, fridge kept for a year, would be as vigorous as a fresh one and may see some genetic degeneration due to stress. I have attempted to grow from plates that I have left sitting around in the past. There have been times when they grew perfectly well and there have been times when they seemed either less aggressive than I would have expected from that particular clone, they produced strange fruits, or they contaminated more easily... If it was a slant in the fridge than my theories are completely bunk.

Sandy's theory makes sense to me also... If that plate had been sitting around, it could have become contaminated in some way prior to using it for spawn.

Well PJ I think you are correct.

These were PE that were kept on a petri dish for about 16 months in the fridge.  Not only where there blobs, but many of the fruits appear to have "gone back" to what normal Cubes look like with the brown tops and wider caps than would be expected with regular PE.  I threw out all those plates and got some fresh Albino spores and am doing another grow with fresh plates.

It still interesting to see the various oddities possible with these fascinating plants...

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!