• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#41 jdawg

jdawg

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 11:52 AM

Have you ever run a 'method blank' on your procedure? In analytical labs it's standard operating procedure to run a method blank along with your batch of samples. When looking for volatile organic compounds in the parts per billion range, samples can easily have false positives for common lab solvents (methylene chloride contamination is common) and the way you weed out whether it is actually in the sample or introduced via your procedure is to run a method blank. If, when the method blank is analyzed along with the rest of the samples, has positive detects for any analyte then you know it is in your procedure, not the sample.
The same theory is easily applied to mushroom cultivation, especially now that you have a pressure cooker. Sterilize some syringes of distilled water in your PC. When innoculating your batch of jars save a few to run several experiments. On several, use the sterilized syringes of water and shoot up your jars just like you would with spore solution. On several more leave them untouched. Handle and incubate these jars just like you would your normal jars.
If you have contamination problems in innoculated jars, water jars, and untouched jars, then I would conclude the problem lies in your substrate preparation method.
If you get contamination in the jars with spore solution and jars shot with sterile water, but not in the blank jars, then contamination is being introduced during the syringe procedure.
If your spore solution jars are contaminated, but your sterile water jars and your blank jars show no signs of contamination, then you're working with bad spore syringes.
I was having problems with bacteria contamination and thought it was my liquid culture. I ran some method blank jars and figured out it was my sterilization procedure. Most jars were going bad with bacteria. I was PCing for 75 minutes at 15 psi but was loading my pressure cooker to full capacity. My conclusion was the PC was too full to completely sterilize its contents for the time I was heating. My LC was fine.

^^^I'm a brand spankin' newbie, but that's some mighty fine info right thar. Sure fire way to figure out if you've got bunk spores.

#42 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 02:54 PM

The other three have the same damn trich that I was getting at the original posting of the message, leading me to believe I recieved bad syringes....What was different this time, however, was the trial of a new spore vendor (sporelab).
I'm not trying to bash sporelab, as I know a lot of others have had great success with their prints and syringes. I'm just telling my story. ...

Sporelab has always been legit and I'm sure that if you contact them they will make good on this.

#43 teletrue

teletrue

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 181 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 02:56 PM

Or...

You COULD just consider the fact that EVERY jar (2 dozen)I noc'd up with the capn's spores ALL became contaminated...
And the only jar that didn't come up contaminated was the one I noc'd up with the spore syringe I made.

But hell, what do I know ;)

*edit, because hip posted before I was done with my post* ;)
Hip, I ain't worried about it now...The original purchase was last fall, and he did try to make it right when those syringes were deemed (by you, and others) to be contaminated. And even though the replacements he sent me have been deemed "bunk", I ain't gonna worry about it.

But thanks :)

#44 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 03:13 PM

i already just sent captainmax a PM on this anyway.
:bow:

#45 teletrue

teletrue

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 181 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 03:15 PM

i already just sent captainmax a PM on this anyway.

Hip, you rock.

#46 teletrue

teletrue

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 181 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 03:31 PM

And also,

Just wanted to post this pic of the only jar to come out unscathed.

BuckarooBonzai sent me a hillbilly print a while back in a contest. I made a syringe, and this is what I got.

Go BUCK!

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_1807.JPG
  • 100_1808.JPG

#47 dinosaur

dinosaur

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 98 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 01:11 AM

Every product I have purchased from SporeLab has been very good, I have not gotten any contams and stick to max's products because of it. Keep the good work up max

#48 max

max

canadian

• Banned Member
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 01:37 AM

Here at the SporeLab we take a complaint such as this very seriously. SporeLab Security has done a check on this issue and found the following:

teletrue's odyssey started last May when he mentions our spores are on the way and asks for advice on liquid cultures:

http://mycotopia.net...ead.php?t=11227

A few weeks later with advice and spores in hand, healthy mycellium grows in his LC:

http://mycotopia.net...ead.php?t=12034

3 weeks later he posts that the mycellium has been healthy and appears clean after almost a month in LC. But subsequent innoculated jars become contaminated. This is teletrue's first try at LC but SporeLab replaces Ecuador no questions asked.

http://mycotopia.net...ead.php?t=12654

Several weeks later he post about problems with some jars.

http://mycotopia.net...ead.php?t=14290

The next day another thread is started and complains about the same jars. Some were inoculated with a replacement Ecuador syringe and the others with LC, now almost 10 weeks old.

http://mycotopia.net...ead.php?t=14328

3 weeks later, on Sept. 24, a new thread..this one...is started to revisit the complaint about the same jars. It's revived 3 weeks later to complain some more and resurrected again 5 1/2 months later to mention finally acquiring a pressure cooker and failing with different strains of spore solution from several months ago.

Personally, I've found that LC can often go bad if stored too long. And I'll mention that the odd contaminated syringe is not unusual in this business. A contaminated print could result in a whole batch being bad. But for spores of different strains to all be bad, that would be extremely unusual especially considering that replacement syringes are usually made with extra special care and taking into consideration the lack of complaints from others.

For many, the first time is a learning experience and I think you've learned a lot. I trust you've cleaned your room since your trich outbreak or it can linger forever!

As they say, some people have green thumbs, others have left thumbs and for many, 3's a charm. I'd be willing to give you a 3rd shot at it if you pm your address because I hate to see people suffer through growing pains. I'll even throw in a free Wollongong syringe IF you promise to praise your positive results as much as you've complained about your typical newbie problems these past few months. 50+ posts in half a dozen threads on the same few spores posted, bumped and resurrected over 9 months...it's a bit much!

#49 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 07:42 AM

of course his original LCs might well have been contaminated with trich, not that easy to spot in liquids.

#50 teletrue

teletrue

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 181 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 02:34 PM

I really didn't want it to turn into this, and I apologize.
Max, if you personally feel like you don't owe me anything, then don't worry about it.

I can also understand how you could see this as being a "growing pain" for a beginner, and while I am not an advanced "professional" grower, I have been using the PF tek successfully for the past few years with this being my only instance of an outbreak such as this. A jar (out of 36) coming up contaminated here and there is not an oddity. Having every jar come up with trich, out of 3(?) different grows over a period of several months is though.

I also know that there was around 800-1000 miles between you and I, and that the syringes were sent during the end of a very hot summer. Anything's possible, and I'm certainly not blaming you. I think the distance + heat could've done the damage and somewhere introduced the trich. I even think we talked about that being a possibility over our PMs last time.

And yes, at the begining, the LC's seemed to have healthy growth, but I seem to also remember someone saying that trich can be either white, or invisible in an LC? I'm not sure, and my memory is short right now so maybe someone can help.

Either way, I appreciate your offer to send the syringe, and I'm leaving it up to you to decide what to do.
If you do want to send me a syringe, I will use it, and I promise to post how things go.

#51 max

max

canadian

• Banned Member
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 06:13 PM

Our spores are guaranteed for 1 year or 50,000 miles and like I already said, pm your address if you want to try again. I'll send an Ecuador made from fresh spores. I'll also send one from the same batch to one of my growers for comparison. As a bonus, I'll throw in a Wollongong, our new exotic strain from Down Under trusting you will post a success story. I do suggest trying straight innoculation. Waiting several months or trying to squeeze extra life out of a syringe via LC over a month only increases chances of failure and makes finding the problem more difficult.

With that said, I'll mention that this is really starting to look like a deliberate attempt to discredit the SporeLab. This thread has been bumped, revived and revisited for several months, mostly on weekends, because your first attempt at LC failed. Well that certainly wouldn't make you the first person to fail at a first attempt at something new. This hobby is full of failures, it's how people learn. The difference is most people accept it and move on, they don't complain about for several months. If you want a replacement, pm me. Otherwise, get over it. I for one will not be replying to this 6 month old thread any longer. Even when it started it was nothing more than repeat complaint of a problem you had a month earlier....sheesh!

Peace out!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!