#1 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,075 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 March 2021 - 08:44 PM

I'm a pretty good cook, but always open to learning a new process. The wild Oysters here are pretty leathery and the stem is damn near inedible they are so tough. I am asking for any method of preparation that will soften them up some. Normally I sautee in butter or put them in something else, but I have a feeling these pink ones are gonna be on the leathery side as they feel like they are made of rubber now. Hoping as the tops expand they will get softer, and I have yet to eat any of these. They might be more tender than I am thinking, but looking for suggestions to tenderize them. Might have to do a boil first and then sautee them, but looking for inspiration if anyone is familiar with these things. 

#2 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,212 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 March 2021 - 12:30 AM

I dont have an answer for you Coop, but I can give you a bump :)

• Coopdog likes this

#3 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,075 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 March 2021 - 02:42 AM

I'm still leaning towards sauteeing them in butter, but cutting the more fibrous stems into 1/4 inch slices. Good fiber? :) Of course there will be red/orange Bell peppers and shallots and some cubed up Ribeye with it, maybe more stuff. THANKS Juthro...

Edited by Coopdog, 14 March 2021 - 02:46 AM.

• Juthro likes this

#4 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,212 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 March 2021 - 02:52 AM

Sounds good to me!   I would happily volunteer as a taste tester if the need arises  :)

• coorsmikey and Coopdog like this

#5 jrh

jrh

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 546 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 March 2021 - 08:59 AM

So I read a couple of things... 

1. Pull the individual petals apart

2. As it cooks, the pink should turn yellow

If it's leathery tough, maybe next time harvest earlier?

If you have an instant pot, I know I've read somewhere that you can pressure cook mushrooms for like 5 minutes in a steamer basket, then saute them with butter and garlic and whatever else floats your boat. I'm not sure if you reduce the cooking liquid before or as part of the saute, or reserve it as mushroom broth for another time, or what, and my searching skills aren't woken up yet.

• Coopdog likes this

#6 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,075 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 March 2021 - 08:00 PM

Despite past experiences these cooked up tender as can be. Reducing my wine sauce now. MMMMMM...

• jrh likes this

#7 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,075 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 March 2021 - 08:15 PM

So here is what I did, and what I would do different next time. 

I sauteed the mushrooms in butter for ten minutes or so and got them a little golden brown, tossed in an orange bell pepper and a Shallot, (Small batch just for me and one of my daughters), I put in some beef stock that we had in the fridge, which was already deliciously seasoned, a clove of garlic, some of the prime rib rub from the local butcher shop which is one of the best seasonings I have ever eaten, and a splash of red wine and a splash of cream and reduced it. 

What I would have done different is cook the sauce in a separate pan or take the veggies out when they are just starting to soften up a bit. Reducing it in the pan overcooked my pepper and Shallots, which I prefer to still have a little crunch left in them. As it is... this is over the top better than any other mushrooms I have ever cooked. Just got done ordering the Pioppino variety to try it out. I need to close up the box, put some plastic on top and start misting several times a day again to keep the block wet. In ten to 14 days I should have at least one more flush. My yield on subsequent flushes will be lessened because I had to open up the whole top of the block rather than just make a 2x3 inch X as the whole top of the block fruited. 

I did not launch this into a second substrate this time, but I intend to be more prepared when I get the next one. The Pioppinos are said to be the most tasty of all. I can't wait. This has been a lot of fun and I have two gallon ziplocks almost half full in the fridge still for later. I have enjoyed this!

Edited by Coopdog, 14 March 2021 - 09:13 PM.

• coorsmikey, Juthro and ElPirana like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!