87 replies to this topic

#21 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,347 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 June 2021 - 12:05 PM

Yes I agree, the expanse does scratch that sci fi itch. I like the approach of the space technology. More realistic to our current technological limitations. Focusing on the colonization of our solar system. It does go down quite a rabbit hole by the time you get to season 4

Went and bought an E reader the other day I want to get back into more reading. I love it but always seem to take the lazy route of watching said entertainment. The media well seems to be drying up due to covid, and rather than re watch some old shows I decided it is time to get back to basics. I might have to add those recommendations to my list thanks guys

Grew up as an absolute star wars nerd. Playing the role playing game, collecting figures, comics, ect.  I used to have a crazy memory for every stupid side character in the original trilogy. Oh yeah that's the rancor trainer, he had planned to runaway with his beloved before Luke killed the beast. Or the back story of the IG series droids rising up to try to cause a robot revolution. That droid was in the movie for like three seconds haha. Or how Bobba Fett blew himself out of the sarlac pit by detonating his jet-pack....

The other major setting of my childhood being of course D&D. Harpels, and Mithril hall, Thay, Loth, Shadovar, Nethril, Dwarves, Ithiliads, cobolts lots and lots of cobolts, and of course Drizzt

The amount of useless information catalogued in my head is a little scary sometimes. Considering all the other productive things I could have done with said time.

If your a nerd like me getting back into a D&D setting provides an insanely staggering amount of cannon to try to process. Considering I basically only play around in forgotten realms. I can get off on just trying to remember the overwhelming amount of information. Definitely have an addiction prone, obsessive side of me that can get seriously locked into something with a ton of depth to it. Those dedicated wikapedia type sites are freaking awesome when trying to refresh the memory. Or to find out who the hell they are referencing in that sentence. "Oh that god during the time of troubles, got it.."

Considering that world is so wide, written by so many different authors yet all existing in the same time and space it really blows my mind up

I tried to start a D&D group during the pandemic digitally. It was awful and I had no experience DMing but a few friends showed interest. Insane the amount of work any DM puts into the game for the players.

https://www.dailymot...m/video/x4kanm0

Track down this show for a group of comedians playing, animation to the roleplaying. Really fun and got some non-interested into the game. 

Edited by rockyfungus, 16 June 2021 - 12:07 PM.

• FLASHINGROOSTER and Oldpunk like this

#22 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 3,322 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 June 2021 - 03:48 PM

Yeah you have to be a little bit crazy to want to be DM. I still have my old journals filled from when I tried my hand at it. It is fun crack them open and see how I used to spin a narrative. Hours of plotting and it all came crashing down when one player rolled a natural 20 leading to a decapitation of your lead villain.

• rockyfungus and simplegood78 like this

#23 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 3,322 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 October 2021 - 01:18 PM

Feeling a little bit of FOMO due to the fact that I pussied out and went for the acid trip at home rather than watch it in IMAX but Dune was a blast to watch on it. I really liked it. I wanted to have this feeling of being transported to another galaxy where things felt strange and I felt like they did a good job

The little opening noise at the start gave me chills. Great audio visual mixture for the senses there. The story suffers a little because its a remake and the inevitable feelings of I have been here before set in but that is to be expected. Happy with the decision to make it two parts. I was starting to feel anxious at around the two hour mark as I knew there wasn't enough time to wrap the story up in any satisfying conclusion so they stuck with an anticlimactic ending.

• Skywatcher and rockyfungus like this

#24 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 15,081 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 October 2021 - 01:31 PM

I'm holding out to see Dune on IMAX on a small dose of mushrooms. It's not playing near me on IMAX so I'm waiting until I go visit family in a few weeks.

The story suffers a little because its a remake and the inevitable feelings of I have been here before set in but that is to be expected.

Don't let those prior failures to adapt the book taint this one!

• Skywatcher, FLASHINGROOSTER and simplegood78 like this

#25 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,347 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 October 2021 - 01:39 PM

I need to track down Dune again. My uncle insisted I read them chronologically. Nah, I'm good.

Lately been watching Sweet Tooth adapted from a comic. Guess more dystopian-future. Pandemic kills most humans, babies are born as animal-hybrids. 

• Skywatcher likes this

#26 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 15,081 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 October 2021 - 01:51 PM

I need to track down Dune again. My uncle insisted I read them chronologically. Nah, I'm good.

Lately been watching Sweet Tooth adapted from a comic. Guess more dystopian-future. Pandemic kills most humans, babies are born as animal-hybrids. 

Dune is a must-read. Each novel in the series after it gets progressively less groundbreaking and more bizarre. I liked Dune Messiah and Children of Dune okay but God Emperor of Dune jumped the shark, or sand worm, for me. Entertaining stories, but nowhere near the impact of Dune itself (IMO). Reading them out of order seems like it would be utterly baffling, though.

#27 simplegood78

simplegood78

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 37 posts

Posted 23 October 2021 - 06:23 PM

The Foundation being back as a TV Series made me go back and re-read the Foundation books.  I've finished the trilogy, and am working on completing the other 7 books(?) in the series.  Good reading.  I've forgotten quite a bit.  I do find the TV Series a bit frustrating, as it is different.

• Skywatcher and FLASHINGROOSTER like this

#28 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,445 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 October 2021 - 07:32 PM

I just tried to order the Rondezvous with Rama series and they sent me Space Oddysee instead. I was going to complain, but when I went and checked it was my bad. Started reading book one and it sucked me right in. So, I just ordered the Rama Series again. Nothing like revisitting a book that filled you with wonder all over again later in life. 

#29 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 3,322 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 October 2021 - 05:11 PM

Don't let those prior failures to adapt the book taint this one!

One could consider me either fortunate or unfortunate in that regard but I have never read the original source material. Weirdly I managed to garner a decent amount from playing the video games and reading cannon on wikipeadia type pages. I remember watching the original movie and I was like hey, where's house Ordos?

For those that have read the novels it always make watching adaptation harder when they are forced to cut out all these things for run time considerations. So all I really have to compare it to in my own head is that original and to be honest I don't think its the worst movie. So my expectations compared to a novel source material man may be lower. When the news of the remake came out I downloaded a directors cut on the advice of the internet and didn't think it was that bad, I remember watching the shorter theater version as a young lad and remember hating it way more back then.

Personally I loved the remake but I don't even like admitting things like that sometimes because then I have to hear someone else try to ruin the fun in my head by telling my why I am wrong. As well hype is a killer so I try not to over hype by telling my true feelings as a science fiction nerd.

I was going to check that foundation show out as well. Have the first couple episodes ready but after watching Dune it didn't feel right to jump into another cannon so soon. Not done with that Arakis quite yet

• Skywatcher likes this

#30 GORF

GORF

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 648 posts

Posted 25 October 2021 - 05:28 PM

Dragon's Egg by Robert L. Forward. (1980)

Evolution of life on the surface of a neutron star.  We give them a taste of knowledge and they evolve and pass us by in the blink of an eye, literally.

Book is much better than my short short synopsis.  Would make an excellent movie I believe.

Edit: The new remake of Dune is excellent.  I have read all the books and went to the theaters to see the first adaption to screen many years ago.  This one is much better and tells more of the much needed background story needed to understand what is motivating the characters.

Edited by GORF, 25 October 2021 - 05:31 PM.

• FLASHINGROOSTER likes this

#31 simplegood78

simplegood78

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 37 posts

Posted 25 October 2021 - 08:28 PM

Next on my list to re-read, is Ringworld by Larry Niven. It's the start of another good series.

https://en.m.wikiped.../wiki/Ringworld
  • GORF likes this

#32 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 853 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 October 2021 - 09:44 PM

Need to see the new Dune. Did my final project on the original for a film class in college half a lifetime ago. Read most of the books. But as mentioned above, after 4-5 of them I kinda lost the urge.

Re read Dune and House Atreides books last year.

Recently I've burned through all kinds of new garbage not worth mentioning but I read the 7 books series INVASION by Avery Blake & Johnny B Truant and it was pretty good. First series to hold my attention past book 4 in a while.

Currently about a third of the way through the Earthrise series by Daniel Arenson. It's alright-ish. Better than bad.
  • FLASHINGROOSTER and simplegood78 like this

#33 simplegood78

simplegood78

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 37 posts

Posted 29 October 2021 - 03:54 AM

I think people are reacting to Dune subconsciously.  Or the Great Pumpkin Magnificent Mycelium, is rising up this Holloweeen inside all of us.

I just saw this article:  How Magic Mushrooms Inspired Frank Herbert's Dune

Part of the article recalls:

In his 2005 book, Mycelium Running: How Mushrooms Can Help Save the World, Stamets says: “Frank went on to tell me that much of the premise of Dune — the magic spice (spores) that allowed the bending of space (tripping), the giant worms (maggots digesting mushrooms), the eyes of the Freman (the cerulean blue of Psilocybe mushrooms), the mysticism of the female spiritual warriors, the Bene Gesserits (influenced by tales of Maria Sabina and the sacred mushroom cults of Mexico) — came from his perception of the fungal life cycle, and his imagination was stimulated through his experiences with the use of magic mushrooms.”

Edited by simplegood78, 29 October 2021 - 03:55 AM.

• Cuboid likes this

#34 Ipsofatso

Ipsofatso

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 31 October 2021 - 02:40 PM

Hi Flashingrooster,

So good to hear of your appreciation of PK Dick’s work. I’ve been a long time fan of his stories. I’m really a big fan of 2049 and have been watching it on a weekly basis. I’m still picking up small things that I’ve previously missed. Sound track is excellent too
I’m waiting for someone to put Ubik on the big screen.
Piper in the Woods is a fave story of mine, also Beyond Lies the Wub. They’re short stories but show wonderful imagination. The latter being his first published story of the genre.
A small series I enjoyed very much that first aired on the SyFy channel was ‘The Lost Room.’ It was about objects taken from a room that exists outside of normal time and space. It was crying out for a second series but unfortunately that never came fruition.

#35 simplegood78

simplegood78

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 37 posts

Posted 31 October 2021 - 09:25 PM

Hi Flashingrooster,

So good to hear of your appreciation of PK Dick’s work. I’ve been a long time fan of his stories. I’m really a big fan of 2049 and have been watching it on a weekly basis. I’m still picking up small things that I’ve previously missed. 

I just saw this picture, where Harrison Ford accidently hit Ryan Gosling.  You can see the horror on Harrison Ford's face.

HFHitsRG.jpg

#36 Ipsofatso

Ipsofatso

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 31 October 2021 - 10:39 PM

I’ll have to watch that bit again a bit closer. I’ve not noticed him actually hitting him. I only watched it again last night as well.

#37 Ipsofatso

Ipsofatso

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 31 October 2021 - 10:39 PM

Due, I think to my dismal wifi connection, I’ve managed to post 3 identical replies. I couldn’t find a delete post button so I’ve just added this.

Edited by Ipsofatso, 31 October 2021 - 11:22 PM.

#38 Ipsofatso

Ipsofatso

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 31 October 2021 - 10:46 PM

I thought K-Pax was a good film. Very close to the book.

Edited by Ipsofatso, 31 October 2021 - 11:34 PM.

#39 GORF

GORF

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 648 posts

Posted 02 November 2021 - 04:56 PM

I found some stories on Yutube.  Interesting, VERY interesting compared to most of the sci-fi fantasy stuff.  It is a whole set of stories that are related in reference to the type of stories they are.

I considered these interesting enough, I though I might share one with you that is mildly representative of the whole she-bang!

[Direct Link]

Take 15 minutes and see if it is worthy.  I think it is my favorite of the 15 or so I have watched so far, but scp343 is pretty cool and is featured in several stories.

• Ipsofatso likes this

#40 Micogi

Micogi

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 162 posts

Posted 02 November 2021 - 06:55 PM

I'm always down for a good sci-fi flick, but off the top of my head the only animated movie I dig is Heavy Metal.

Futurama is cool too, but OG is better than SciFi chan.

If you're looking for current sci-fi, anything Fauci says falls under that category...

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!