6 replies to this topic

#1 Auhron

Auhron

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 266 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 March 2021 - 01:30 AM

The Spore print was dated 12/18/11, Over two months of sitting on the agar and they still hadn't germinated, I was about to give up on the plates I had set up for them, then today I looked again while gathering other plates that needed to go...

20210318_234558 - Copy.jpg

IT'S ALIVE!!! 9.25 years later!!! I'm going to baby this culture. It was gifted to me @ Christmas. Thank you so much again!!! 

Moral of the story: PATIENCE. The Mushrooms are constantly trying to teach me this, I think I'm finally getting it.  Standard MEA recipe with a bit of activated charcoal in the mix, other than that I did nothing special with these spores, I didn't make a slightly wetter agar, I didn't make a spore solution to rehydrate the old spores, as those two options seem to be mentioned often in regards to older spores, just waited... and waited... Such a small puff of beautiful mycelium!! And I still have 95% of the spore print left to work with for future projects if I need.  Spores are Immortal!!!

• sandman, Sidestreet, stackedandeasy and 5 others like this

#2 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 873 posts

Posted 19 March 2021 - 08:45 AM

Well you've convinced me to allow some plates to sit for a few more weeks. Nothing is happening not even contam, so might as well be patient!

• Auhron likes this

#3 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,053 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 March 2021 - 11:24 AM

A few months ago in the Hoarder Hole ...i found an envelope of  15+ old prints ................................................i see a project ...................or wasting time ha ha ha

• Auhron likes this

#4 jrh

jrh

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 546 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 March 2021 - 12:39 PM

Wow, I've tossed plates after a month. I never imagined that spores might take 2 months to germinate or show enough mycelium to be visible.

• Auhron likes this

#5 Theinvitrowalrus

Theinvitrowalrus

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 109 posts

Posted 25 March 2021 - 08:56 PM

Hell yeah!

#6 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 8,799 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 March 2021 - 04:21 AM

Thanks for this reminder.  I just put some spores from 2017 on agar less than a week ago and I expect to let them sit for a while.  No problem, I'll just work on other things in the meantime.  My other thought was to make spore water, let that sit for several days to a week, and then put some of that on agar.

• stackedandeasy likes this

#7 Auhron

Auhron

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 266 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 April 2021 - 06:35 PM

I suppose I should follow up on this.  A second plate showed signs of germination as well, but that one was showing multiple spots of contamination, I chose to transfer away from the contam on that plate and store the clean plate in case I need it.  Made a liquid culture from the cleanest spot on one of the transfer plates (500ml water, 1tbsp LME, 1tsp clear corn syrup, 0.25g nutritional yeast, PC'd 30min @12 psi) I got really fast growth in the LC, enough that I felt it was useable after only 4 days.   Inoculated a half pint jar of wheat with 5cc's of the LC two days ago, showing multiple points of growth, nothing with the really strong rhizomorphic presentation I've seen with cubes before, but it's still early.

I am excited about this culture.

• Sidestreet likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!