• Phineas_Carmichael and FLASHINGROOSTER like this

#22 Phineas_Carmichael

Phineas_Carmichael

Hooloovoo

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,041 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 April 2021 - 02:07 AM

It's not even the right toad species for exploiting a Living bio-reactor!
  • Ronald Ray Gun and FLASHINGROOSTER like this

#23 Norman

Norman

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,029 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 April 2021 - 03:35 PM

Maybe that one secretes adrenochrome.
Back to the subject that is not toads that are not psychedelic or even botanicals - yes, though a sep funnel can be hacked, if you ever buy one you will cry yourself to sleep for a week over all of the trouble you could have avoided by just buying one in the first place.
You’re also thinking right in that you only need one with a somewhat higher capacity than the volume of solvent you intend to use. Rather than a turkey baster I would recommend getting a siphon intended for gas and siphoning the aqueous from under the NP.
Just don’t start it with your mouth because if you fuck up Texas will outlaw all tubing and call it Flashing Rooster’s Law and use a photo of your horribly disfigured face to promote it.
  • Sidestreet and FLASHINGROOSTER like this

#24 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 2,895 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 April 2021 - 05:21 PM

haha lately that guy seems to be good at posting pictures with no description, like you said they appear to be vaguely relevant to the discussion at hand.

I think I can picture what you mean with the siphon. Easy enough to get one to try. Yesterday I was thinking about trying one of those camping style water jugs with the spigot on it for the "rough" separation if its HDPE. Curious if you had any concerns about the plastic tubing as far as leeching goes? Hmm come to think of it we might have a roll of that at work that is HDPE. Just need to figure out a pump hookup to avoid sucking down the death sauce.

Hey its DMT face...We already have a guy who is famous for frying his brain on home made acid. I don't need to be the next generation accepting the fuck up baton

Well that was all the encouragement I was looking for to pull the trigger on the funnel.

Always appreciate the responses thanks

#25 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 2,895 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 April 2021 - 04:15 PM

So while I wait for my funnel to arrive I thought I would try to crayon down the process of extraction to see If I get it.

I have a few questions for sure

For my Acid extraction part, are we wanting to dilute the vinegar with water or just use it straight?

I happen to have a ph meter so that should help out a bit. Below I will be throwing out some rough numbers to try to get it dialed in

Going to take 50g powdered bark and start with the acid extraction part. This process is sped up with heat, here I am a little unsure. Are we able to boil the 300ml or so vinegar solution or just stick with the warm bath style, heating a glass jar like we will do when we add the naphtha to the basified solution.

okay so warming and occasionally stirring for 45 min, then rough filter the 300ml or so, repeated three times should give me somewhere around 900ml of some spicy tea. Fine filter this and then thinking I should do the cold separation in the fridge part.This is supposed to clump the fine particles together and make one last filtering easy. So now I am hoping to have a clean enough version to run through my separation funnel for the fat wash. Should I reduce this down to fit my 500ml sep funnel to prevent having to do two separations for each run of the defat wash

For the defat. Are we wanting to do the warm bath here again? Adding around 100 ml of naphtha and then stirring this mixture. Pour into sep funnel and then wait for it to separate. Drain off the tea and then mark that naphtha for disposal. Repeating three times

Make sure it has cooled down and slowly start to add me 40g of lye crystals. Here I can have my jar in an ice water bath to keep temp down during this reactive part. Then we want to add some more naphtha. say around 100ml again and do another warming and stirring portion for 45 to finally pull my dmt into the naphtha. Separating with the funnel and then freeze precipitating the naphtha for 24-48 hrs in a glass pie plate dish with saran wrap pulled tightly over it.

Pour off naphtha back into solution and scrape off my crystals and allow to air dry. Repeat a few times and I think that is about it for now.

• Phineas_Carmichael, YoshiTrainer and greenskeeper like this

#26 Norman

Norman

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,029 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 April 2021 - 05:35 PM

Yep that’s the gist of it.
Vinegar 1:3 with water.
Simmer it - I use a crock pot on low. Just do it right in the pot as long as it’s not aluminum.
Then filter it into a jar and crash it in the fridge.
Fine filter (old t shirt is fine) back into the pot leaving the weird mauve clay stuff behind in the bottom of the jar.
Reduce so that it and whatever naptha you intend to use will fit in your funnel.
No need to defat MHRB.
Base with lye. Make sure you hit pH13.5. A lot of meters crap out at the extreme end. The solution should be black and clear and slippery and smell like fish.
Extract with naptha. This is where you can use a water bath if you want. Tap hot is plenty.
I freeze precip in something I can seal airtight. If air gets in while it’s cold, water can condense on the dish.
After you’re done with the naptha pulls it would be worthwhile do do one with xylene if you have it. You’ll have to evaporate because it won’t precip but the dark spice is worth it.
  • coorsmikey, Phineas_Carmichael, Juthro and 5 others like this

#27 SlipperyJack

SlipperyJack

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 106 posts

Posted 21 April 2021 - 07:43 PM

Thanks for the simple summary Norman!

I always love reading your posts!

I plan on doing my first extraction in June or July.. Life is uber busy right now, but I am taking some time to do planning... and this thread has been GOLD!!

I have 200g of MHRB powder, and a free bonus 50g sampler of shredded MHRB.

#28 Norman

Norman

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,029 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 April 2021 - 08:41 PM

Sweet. We look forward to hearing about it.

#29 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 2,895 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 April 2021 - 06:56 PM

Thanks brotha,

Looks like some great tips

asked and answered

edit: I had to do some searching, so the Xylene at the very end = the mysterious "Jungle" spice. I'll be your huckleberry

Edited by FLASHINGROOSTER, 22 April 2021 - 09:16 PM.

• Phineas_Carmichael likes this

#30 Phineas_Carmichael

Phineas_Carmichael

Hooloovoo

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,041 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 April 2021 - 01:13 AM

I'm here and listening, but I have nothing to add because once again Norman beat me to it.

Freezing a saran wrapped pie plate worked for my buddy Freddie once or twice because he got lucky in a clean and empty freezer with no frost on the walls.

On the 3rd try in a Freezer with other foodstuffs the saran wrap failed, contaminating the Naphtha with water and the Tater Tots with Naphtha...

Edited by Phineas_Carmichael, 23 April 2021 - 01:29 AM.

• coorsmikey, Juthro and FLASHINGROOSTER like this

#31 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 2,895 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 April 2021 - 10:33 AM

Santa came early for Rooster this week so now It looks like I have a little weekend project to attempt here. No more excuses to put it off, time to try my first run

I will save that pie plate for the xylene evaporation portion, those snap lid glass containers will work nicely for the freezing portion.

• Phineas_Carmichael and greenskeeper like this

#32 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 4,402 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 April 2021 - 05:26 PM

before you make the mistake I made twice.......

do some reading on the right way to use the stopper at the top of the funnel

there are smart things to do that are not mandatory. do a dumb thing and you'll be buying a new funnel. I'd just tell you right here but there's so much to be learned by looking into this. Lab glass is an interesting subject all by itself

like some dumbass who didn't learn the first time..................and who shall go un named :)

everything about the extraction is easier if you're using the funnel, and everything about the extraction is easier if you do the defat

• Phineas_Carmichael, FLASHINGROOSTER and greenskeeper like this

#33 Norman

Norman

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,029 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 April 2021 - 06:06 PM

https://www.chem.ucl.../Sepfunnel.html

Tell me you didn’t!

Which reminds me - don’t use a cast iron pot for your boil unless you want to teach yourself how to reseason cast iron.

I’ll add my own - if the stopper gets stuck, don’t bang on the neck of your nice new sep funnel with the back of a butter knife.
  • Phineas_Carmichael, bezevo, FLASHINGROOSTER and 1 other like this

#34 greenskeeper

greenskeeper

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 161 posts

Posted 23 April 2021 - 06:19 PM

Rooster got the HDPE sep funnel though, right? Just don't melt it.

I'd like to get one but I don't want to have to explain my purchase to the local constable - it happened to a friend but he got away with it because he was a studying chemistry at the time.

• FLASHINGROOSTER likes this

#35 Phineas_Carmichael

Phineas_Carmichael

Hooloovoo

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,041 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 April 2021 - 01:36 AM

"Constable"
Events of 12 March, MMXI
A Short Story by Phineas Carmichael

The Prologue to Cactus Power!

I was traveling 900+ miles to visit my folks and had just parked in the Municipal Parking Lot of a rural (population 842) town when a Police SUV blocked me in but didn't light me up. Since I was at my destination and not obviously detained I slowly got out of my car to ask what was up. The Officer saw my out-of-state plates and just wanted to let me know that overnight parking was allowed but that I'd get a ticket if I wasn't out by 9am. I thanked her and explained that I was just stopping to sleep at my brother's place above the restaurant across the street & would be out long before then as I opened the trunk to grab my duffel bag.

"What's that?" she asked sharply.

In a haze of road fatigue & existential dread I confusedly replied, "What's what?"

"What's in that box right there?" she barked, indicating the clear plastic tote containing a chemistry set, Sep funnel on glorious display, front and center.

"Oh, you mean my soap making tools?"

"You make your own soap, do you?" she asked skeptically while her partner in the back seat began to whine & do a little tippy-tappy dance with his front paws.

"Sure do! Matter of fact..." I replied, grabbing the cardboard box of wrapped & labeled soaps I always carried in the trunk when I was traveling with a chemistry set, "I'm actually on the way to a craft fair in my Home Town right now."

Opening the box and pawing around I said, "Let's see, I've got Lavender-Rosemary, Red Sandalwood, some Gardener's Scrub -that's got Citronella in it to keep the bugs off when you're in the garden- here's my Goat's Milk & Honey... Oooh, I forgot I brought the last of my Citrus-Guinness Oatmeal scrub!" The Dog barked once.

She shushed the animal in the back seat and said, "Did you say Guinness, like the beer?" I immediately relaxed, she was in the palm of my hand now, I just had to sell it...

"Yes, ma'am! I make it with fresh orange peel, bottled Guinness, and organic oats. It smells like a beer truck got stuck in the mud somewhere in Florida. Here, have a sniff." I held a bar at arm's length to her open window.

"My husband Irish, that's his favorite beer!" She snatched the soap (which actually smelled like stale Saltines and moldy oranges to me) and took a big whiff. "Holy cow, that's delicious!" The K-9 barked twice and growled a little. "Shut up, Cesar! Sorry, he's an idiot."

"Hehehe, sucker," I thought to myself. "I've got 3 bars left. They usually sell for $10 at craft fairs," I lied, "but I'll give you a Police discount, how does buy 2, get 1 free sound?"

Despondent, she said "Oh, shoot! I don't keep my purse with me while I'm working!"

"That's OK, I know you're good for it," I replied as I offered 2 more bars. "When you get to your purse just put some cash in a ticket envelope & stick it under my windshield wiper. Nobody thinks twice about a ticket on somebody else's car, it'll be perfectly safe."

"Great idea! I'll go back to the station right now so I don't get caught up in some bullshit and forget. Thank you so much!!!"

"You're welcome, ma'am. Stay safe out there & have a great night."

She put her SUV in gear and drove off, ignoring Cesar's consternation. I breathed a huge sigh of relief, grabbed my duffle and walked across the street to my brother's apartment. After I had showered the road dirt & panic sweat off I peeked out the window and saw a grateful police officer giving me a "parking ticket" in the dead of night.

==========

And that's the story of the time I should have gone to Prison for what was in my duffel bag but instead sold 3 bars of soap (that cost me a total of 72 cents to make) for $20 and a free pass to sleep until after 9am while parked in a Municipal Parking Lot in the rural midwest!

And also learned the valuable lesson to always travel with your chemistry set in an opaque container...

Edited by Phineas_Carmichael, 24 April 2021 - 03:29 AM.

• Sidestreet, TVCasualty, tregar and 5 others like this

#36 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 4,402 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 April 2021 - 08:35 AM

https://www.chem.ucl.../Sepfunnel.html

Which reminds me - don’t use a cast iron pot for your boil unless you want to teach yourself how to reseason cast iron.

They never let you forget :blush: :tongue:

• FLASHINGROOSTER and greenskeeper like this

#37 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 2,895 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 April 2021 - 10:52 AM

Well that worked out nicely, I left the tea in the fridge overnight to separate and hopefully today I will be able to use my HDPE sep funnel properly now.

It is sad to think that chemistry has become so controlled that even having the equipment leads to suspicions of drug making. Just play on your Iphone useful idiot how dare you try to experimentation

That has to be one of the finer crafted excuses for having one I have ever heard Phineas. Any good self respecting dabbler of drugs gets a kick out of a duped police story. I will have to remember that one.

Yes sir with this pandemic I just thought making my own soap would be a good business venture while locked in my house.

• Phineas_Carmichael, YoshiTrainer and greenskeeper like this

#38 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 2,895 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 April 2021 - 07:54 AM

Looks like a mixture of floaters and white flecks stuck to the glass this morning. Did three pulls and decided to try to freeze in one batch. I want to try one more after just to see what is left in there but that asks the question, is the base solution okay to sit for a while? I think I should let it sit another night just to see how cold my freezer can get it but it's looking like I should go for the 48 hr turnaround time for the freeze precipitation.

Simmering

gallery_160704_1780_856815.jpg

First filtering after simmer
20210423 134043

Chilled in fridge overnight and poured off tea leaving behind solid sediment
20210424 103912

Secondary filtering with coffee filter made clean tea
20210424 104309

Added base in the cool water bath, then Slightly warm bath later to speed up the shaking and separating portion
20210424 115504

This thing works like a charm, glad you guys convinced me to do that rather than tediously sucking with a baster and eye dropper, still nice to have them on hand though in case a tiny bit of base gets
into the glass container it is easily sucked out with an eye dropper
20210424 131444

After 15 hours in the freezer

gallery_160704_1780_1316199.jpg

These of course are all fake photos as I am just an internet personality not a real person partaking in these real activities

Edited by FLASHINGROOSTER, 25 April 2021 - 08:27 AM.

• TVCasualty, Phineas_Carmichael, bezevo and 2 others like this

#39 Norman

Norman

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,029 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 April 2021 - 03:45 PM

You might have to evap some of that naptha down to get a good freeze precip. Pulls two and especially three won’t be very saturated and will have diluted pull one somewhat.
Sorry I didn’t mention not to combine them.

#40 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 2,895 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 April 2021 - 07:55 PM

Well my socks were doing some science fiction level flowing about twenty minutes ago so we can call this experiment a success at this point. Like tiny silver lighted symbols were racing around the outsides of my feet like on a toy race car track, there were a lot of right angle flowing tubes around objects in the room, like particles flowing in pipes or something... Wild man, not a breakthrough but still pretty cool

Just for fun I separated the naphtha this time into two containers so that might help a bit. I will try the evap after to try to get some more out.

• coorsmikey, Phineas_Carmichael, bezevo and 2 others like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!