• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 871 posts

Posted 21 March 2021 - 06:52 PM

Anyone else experimenting with P. Hispanica, only a tiny bit of information exists. 

I played with this on agar for a minute thinking I had bacteria, but I believe the leading edge on agar shows wispy growth before filling in.

Hisp.JPG

I lost my one strawbag with all of my spawn as it wasn't fully sealed. Dumped all my spawn to one bag because it was colonizing grain so slowly. 

Here's round two of spawn in the making, learned not to put all my spawn in one basket...
Some with a2g, LC in the bigger jar, and some g2a.
hispspawn.JPG

Thinking it's time to hit the spore print as none of this growth is as vigorous as I like, but then again I hear it's related to the slow colonizer P.  semilanceata

• ElPirana, makinbones69, UnHeisenbug and 3 others like this

#2 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 174 posts

Posted 21 March 2021 - 08:28 PM

Looks like fun. That agar plate definitely looks darker than all the other pics I've seen ( which of course, is very limited )

Good luck.
Grow well.

#3 ElPirana

ElPirana

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 777 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 March 2021 - 09:41 PM

Is this the one you had germinate from spores extremely fast? Either way looks interesting, I’ll be following along!

#4 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 871 posts

Posted 22 March 2021 - 08:16 AM

Agar will appear darker as most of my imaging happens from the bottom of the plate instead of the top.  Reusable plastic containers with a dyed top of the container...

Yeah germed in about 2 days if I recall.

First fruiting was supplemented straw, but improper seal on bag. Next set of fruiting will be on manure/hay. 

#5 Moonless

Moonless

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 849 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 March 2021 - 09:01 PM

Hey did you run into any trouble putting those snap on lids through the PC? Mine are loose after the PC but they were tight enough to not contaminate the rice.

#6 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 871 posts

Posted 23 March 2021 - 08:42 AM

I've been slowly converting over to anything works as long as it mostly closes camp.

Really doesn't seem to matter as long as you aren't stacking it in PC into a way where the water is boiling over it. I just hook the foil under the lid/bottom, don't cover the whole plastic tupperware.

I've been going on 2 years with these tupperwares and some lids have cracked on the tab where you pull it open, but I just used some waterproof tape (became my go to "Micropore tape")

I used to modify the lids and now they are back to being unmodified with the waterproof tape or even flextape...

One thing I've learned is you want to leave a corner unsealed or your going to get your base vacuumed in.

pcwc.JPG

non-vented vs vented

• Moonless likes this

#7 Moonless

Moonless

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 849 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 March 2021 - 11:58 AM

Right on. I'm in that camp too. I find that it gives me some opratunities to reuse plastic that would otherwise be added to landfill in Malaysia.
  • rockyfungus likes this

#8 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 883 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 March 2021 - 10:47 AM

Agar looks great Rocky!

This sp. of mushroom has been a fun learning experience for me. I started mine on MEA and I think it took two months to produce a 1/2 dollar sized patch of myc. The myc was very thin and almost looked powdery. I made some agar from straw/Hpoo water and agar only, no DME. After the transfer, the myc seems to be more aggressive and tomentose in appearance. After taking transfers, the original agar was dropped into an 'all in one' jar with:
Straw
Hpoo
COIR
Cacti soil
Worm castings
Gypsum
Powdered chicken feed
Millet
RGS

So far the jar appears to be colonizing well but very wispy. There are a couple spots where the myc is getting thicker. My hope is to dump the jar into a mini tub while still wispy and let it consolidate from there.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20210322_123944-1.jpg

• rockyfungus likes this

#9 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 883 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 April 2021 - 10:33 AM

So my 'all in one' quart looked like it was fully colonized though very wispy. In the picture you can see where the mycelium is starting to thicken. I gently dumped the jar into a mini tray and put a lid on it with holes and micropore tape for FAE. Hopefully it'll recover and thicken up. I'll probably let this sit for a month before adding casing, it depends on how fast it recovers.

I also started a jar of millet and RGS just the other night, fingers crossed!

Attached Thumbnails

• 20210404_205345-1.jpg

• sandman and rockyfungus like this

#10 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 871 posts

Posted 06 April 2021 - 10:56 AM

IMG_7317 (2).JPG

Mine are moving so slow. Can't tell if bad agar selections or just the way she grows. Not too wispy on my growth. 

#11 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 883 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 April 2021 - 12:53 PM

Yours are looking great Rocky!

Though wispy, mine colonized a quart jar in about 3 weeks, hopefully mine will fill in like yours eventually.

#12 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 883 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 April 2021 - 12:14 PM

It looks like imy 'all in one' quart is recovering nicely in it's new home. I'll leave it here to consolidate for maybe a month? This culture came from a very kind friend who found a pin growing on their agar and cloned it.

I was going through agar i have in cold storage and found some Hispanica I started from spores so I brought it out and took transfers. It looks much happier on MEA compared to the other culture.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20210409_100135-1.jpg

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!