Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Mycogone, Verticillium, or just a mislabeled PE strain?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Elenchus

Elenchus

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 23 March 2021 - 08:00 AM

Hello mycotopiates,

I would very much like some opinions from those of you who are more experienced in contaminants than me. Please help...

20210321_114632.jpg  20210321_114625.jpg 20210323_094816.jpg 20210323_094824.jpg

The first two pics are of what I believe to be a Mazatapec strain showing bubble like growths in place of primordia. These were in monotubs in relatively dry conditions. The second two pics are of the same strain in trays fruiting in a greenhouse at a much earlier stage in development. They were in much wetter, more humid conditions. I searched around and have come to the conclusion that it is likely either mycogone or verticillium.

But I am not leaving out the possibility that it is normal PE blobs from a mislabelled strain, or something else entirely.

Am I missing anything? What are your opinions as to what type of growth this is? I already tossed the monotubs thinking it was the casing material, which may have been pasteurized improperly. Details on the process below...

I recently acquired a live culture on agar of Mazatapec from a reliable source. It showed beautiful rhizomorphic mycelium, so naturally I wanted to grow this strain out first. I transferred to a new plate, then to LC with potato water/dextrose, then inoculated grain jars of millet that were expanded with G2G, then I spawned to 60/40 straw/coir, let colonize, and cased with 50/50 peat/verm.

The casing material was limed until a PH of 8 was reached, and then pasteurized a few times using boiling water to achieve saturation, then adding dry verm until it was at field capacity, and finally letting it sit in a cooler. This method achieved nearly 134-140 degrees F for a few hours. Not a very effective method.

So I then switched to oven pasteurization in mycobags at around 200F for 4 hours, same moisture content and PH as above. This method eventually achieved internal temps of 140-160F for 2 hours.

#2 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 8,022 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 March 2021 - 09:06 AM

I have my best guess on Wet Bubble (Mycogone). The amber droplets that early in formation suggest that it not just a random mutation. IME experience its pretty hard to get rid of in future grows if you plan to recycle any of your tub or equipment. With good fresh air you may get a few fruits later in the flush to satisfy your craving but I would not recommend salvaging any print from it though.

#3 Elenchus

Elenchus

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 23 March 2021 - 10:38 AM

Thanks coorsmikey, I appreciate the help.

That's what I thought as well. I have other strains going which seem also to have some weird growth but I don't really suspect them to be infected.

Would it be best to scrap/isolate all of the mazatapec that I have going right now? I don't want it to spread to anything else and I don't really want to have to deal with in successive grows.

Are you suggesting that the best way to deal with it is to not only scrap the cultures but also all the tubs and anything that comes in contact with it? I would like to be able to reuse the tubs and trays if possible at least. Would a few washes with bleach/water/soap work to sanitize the containers?

Do you have any thoughts as to how the contam was introduced?

#4 sandman

sandman

That Motherfucker

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,022 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 March 2021 - 03:20 PM

Them looks like the wet bubble to me too

spreads by prints because it sporulates on the cap.

#5 HrVanker

HrVanker

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 435 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 March 2021 - 02:50 AM

I also have a weird and somewhat similar issue. I've been fruiting a few different strains in small test containers to print and isolate from. My labeling got a bit wonky, but I'm 99% sure that this container is supposed to be some Redspore from prints I made last July. IIRC, this was from a somewhat isolated plate and the parent fruits looked like normal cubes.
3e5e190f84842a6d8585884889266c21.jpg
This container took FOREVER to colonize. And it started pinning before I was able to get it on an FC. So when I first popped the lid, I thought that the pinset had just been smushed.

These mushrooms are developing very slowly, the gills don't appear to be dropping spores, and the outer edges of the gills are all squiggly and mishapen. But the characteristics are consistent, the fruits don't look necrotic or anything, and I haven't seen any amber droplets.

Any thoughts on whether it's worth trying to get spores and clones? Or would that just be asking for trouble?
  • bezevo and Boebs like this

#6 Theinvitrowalrus

Theinvitrowalrus

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 109 posts

Posted 25 March 2021 - 08:51 PM

Try and clone that forsure, those mushrooms look funny as hell haha
  • HrVanker likes this

#7 Boebs

Boebs

Psychonaut

• VIP
  • 1,137 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 March 2021 - 09:15 PM

Hrvanker! Id clone those.
Super interesting looking!
Hell, id be open for a trade
  • HrVanker likes this

#8 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,053 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 March 2021 - 10:32 PM

they kinda look like eyeballs ....sorta

• HrVanker likes this

#9 jrh

jrh

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 546 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 March 2021 - 09:26 AM

They might be good smurf houses if they got up to 4 apples tall.

• HrVanker and Boebs like this

#10 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,053 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 March 2021 - 08:55 PM

Did you make clones ?  ..............i hope so  Weeeeeeeeee..! Weird Science !

• HrVanker likes this

#11 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 8,022 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 March 2021 - 09:15 PM

Those look like KSSS.

• HrVanker likes this

#12 HrVanker

HrVanker

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 435 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 March 2021 - 09:21 PM

No clones yet, and they don't seem to be dropping spores. I have an old plate from a different transfer that is pinning with similar fruits. I also have a qt of spawn from another transfer of the same batch.

I could clone these, but I believe it's already a 3rd or 4th transfer from spore. So I'm not sure how long I could hold onto the genes. But I do plan on fruiting all the cultures from this batch of Redspore to see if I can get any spores.

I'll have to look up pics of KSSS. I thought that A/PE was the only variety that put out fruits like these.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!