• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Chips101

Chips101

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 124 posts

Posted 25 March 2021 - 04:14 PM

I have suspected for the last couple of days some what looks to be contamination in my maza grain jars. The thing is, 1. they are 90% finished and 2. they do appear to be slowly over taking it. I'm not sure if going forward and spawning them or waiting on them to over take the other growth or remove the top healthy portion spawn and shit can the rest and spawn what's done. Or, and this was my last idea. To sacrifice the jars, by scoring them and breaking off the jars wash the popcorn cakes and free them of any uninoculated corn and dunk and roll for 12 hrs and fruit in a F.C. ? I would need to do the removal of any un- inoculated corn if spawned to bulk also ?right? I used small mouth jars because I wasn't intending to fruit as cakes so removing them wasn't going to be a issue. So much for thinking.
Side note I notice an odd metabolite staining a brownish red after the mycelium has over taken it what is that all about? I also understand I can do nothing and continue and allow my mycelium to over take the bug? Will this be a contamination be a  resistant stain ? would I  be interested in preserving the strain as clone or is it simply the fact,that the issue developed well after the mycelium had taken hold? And I was just lucky? Anyone have some advice or suggestions?
Thanks for reading.861c9dca9d51014aa6c1d45ade0d0c72.jpg1a87e187303f14e4a9bfa7947c780ae6.jpg8f912e1f7a525d9247b0b45148e7b6d8.jpg6c6e43632c50f3a661d6c0e74221aa92.jpga5a4fed18a96eec3144fdcb2d50713b5.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

#2 Moonless

Moonless

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 916 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 March 2021 - 05:47 PM

I used to pitch mine in a hole outside and mix with unsteralized potting soil. If the jar is really contaminated it went into the compost. That was when I had a yard, now a days I don't like to mess with contaminated jars. If a grow gets contaminated now a days I quarentine it in a plastic bag and put it on the porch where no one will see.

#3 Auhron

Auhron

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 306 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 March 2021 - 08:17 PM

I would recommend salvaging the colonized portion, and composting the rest.  I had a similar issue with a pint jar of B+, the bottom 1/4 of the jar exhibited some funky contamination and the mycelial growth stalled out just above it. I spawned the top half of the jar (I left behind a barrier of colonized grains to minimize the risk of transferring whatever that contam was) to two pints Coir/Compost substrate and managed to get 2 flushes out of it before I noticed anything funky happening. Small flushes, but it was enough. 

The key takeaway from the experience was that my sterilization of the grain was inadequate. I increased the time my grain spends in the pressure cooker and have had much healthier looking grain spawn since. 

• Boebs likes this

#4 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

Digging for Rainbows

• App Administrator
  • 9,088 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 March 2021 - 04:33 AM

My thought is to put it outside somewhere, if you have a space.  That looks bacterial, and even if the mycelium seems to overtake the contaminated portion it will continue to be a problem.  On to the next thing.

• Arathu, Moonless and MushLuvR like this

#5 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 807 posts

Posted 26 March 2021 - 07:54 AM

Some of that looks real nasty to me. I'd not want to expose myself or immediate environment to it. For my health and to not spread the contamination to other projects. I know folks have different stances on this but for me it'd be a case of putting then back in the pressure cooker and sterilizing before opening, to salvage the jars, or just binning them unopened if not bothered about the cost of jars.
  • Moonless likes this

#6 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,495 posts

Posted 26 March 2021 - 08:06 AM

You can also try opening submerged under bleach water to remedy contams flying in the air. 

Edited by rockyfungus, 26 March 2021 - 08:07 AM.

• Moonless likes this

#7 Moonless

Moonless

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 916 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 March 2021 - 01:51 PM

I imagine soapy water would do the trick too? Never tried it but I'm gonna have to because I open contam jars in my house
  • rockyfungus likes this

#8 vork21

vork21

Fan Man

• Free Member
  • 157 posts

Posted 26 March 2021 - 04:18 PM

You can also try opening submerged under bleach water to remedy contams flying in the air. 

I tried that once with a moldy jar, spores just rode the bubbles to the surface.  That's not egg on my face, it's aspergillus. 

• TVCasualty, coorsmikey and Moonless like this

#9 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,651 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 March 2021 - 05:14 PM

Don't do that!

vork21 did and look what it got him... That shot to the face of aspergillus was literal, if the contam was aspergillus. But whatever it is, you don't want it or its spores catching a ride in those air bubbles out of the bucket (and right into your face).

The safe way to deal with contamination is to PC bad jars before opening them (and do that as soon as they're cool enough, don't let them sit around). And to PC bags before dumping them out into a compost pile or whatever. Some people throw out contaminated jars, but I think that's a waste if a PC is available.

• Moonless and rockyfungus like this

#10 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,495 posts

Posted 26 March 2021 - 05:34 PM

Good to know, never had large bubbles as it was done in a huge tub. 

• TVCasualty likes this

#11 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,651 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 March 2021 - 06:36 PM

Any size of air bubble would send contaminant spores airborne.

Lucky for us most contaminants aren't pathogenic to humans. I've done the bucket thing too once or twice.

#12 Moonless

Moonless

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 916 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 March 2021 - 06:47 PM

I never though about this PC trick thanks guys!

• Cuboid likes this

#13 Chips101

Chips101

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 124 posts

Posted 28 March 2021 - 01:44 PM

All sound advise. If I've learned anything over the last several months, it is to stop and take a breath . I've removed the jars from my space and into a spot where I can observe them. Without worry of them infecting anything. And although I get the idea that you don't want them. I dont see any harm in at the least observing them! If I had a commercial investment my thinking would be far more pragmatic but I don't. Therefore guys like me have far more room for exploratory trial and error. So for now they sit in quarantine in a observed limbo. And if and when they become 1 pint mold glass grenades I'll bagum up and pc um to death!!! Thanks to the community for everyone's comments! Chips

Edited by Chips101, 28 March 2021 - 01:48 PM.

• Cuboid likes this

#14 Chips101

Chips101

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 124 posts

Posted 21 July 2021 - 07:02 PM

A follow up I lost all but one of the jars in question and before the jar went completely south I took a spoon full of the healthy portion and simply put it in a sterile bag of cow shit vermiculite and earthworm castings I had from a bulk sub mix I had that was extra. Anyone following this knows how long ago this was originally posted. Today I discovered after months a fully colonized bag of healthy mycelium!!!!

• Sidestreet likes this

#15 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

Digging for Rainbows

• App Administrator
  • 9,088 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 July 2021 - 04:00 AM

Congrats.  Pics! 

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!