• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 213 posts

Posted 27 March 2021 - 09:51 AM

I've set up my tall shoe box tubs with a row of 9/32" FAE holes (not the more familiar 1/4") just above the sub level and use them as a dunking aid. Take three 1/4" dowels (or however many you need) long enough to span the width of the tub plus an inch and space them equally across the sub through those holes. Then fill the tub with water, after the requisite dunk time period turn the tub on end and drain. Then remove the dowels after setting it level. The only problem I encountered was I originally drilled them to 1/4" and the dowels expanded creating the obvious situation. Duhhh. I haven't had any contamination problems using this method. At first I wiped them with iso but eventually stopped and saw no contams developing. I like this so much better than weighing the cake down.
  • southernblues likes this

#2 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 173 posts

Posted 27 March 2021 - 10:06 AM

Nice!
Sounds like a really slick trick.

#3 jrh

jrh

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 546 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 March 2021 - 10:36 AM

Healthy mycelium should be fairly resistant to contamination. The risk is generally when contaminants are introduced along with mushroom spores / cultures, to uncolonized spawn / substrate, or to weakened mycelium.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!