• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 456 posts

Posted 27 March 2021 - 09:51 AM

I've set up my tall shoe box tubs with a row of 9/32" FAE holes (not the more familiar 1/4") just above the sub level and use them as a dunking aid. Take three 1/4" dowels (or however many you need) long enough to span the width of the tub plus an inch and space them equally across the sub through those holes. Then fill the tub with water, after the requisite dunk time period turn the tub on end and drain. Then remove the dowels after setting it level. The only problem I encountered was I originally drilled them to 1/4" and the dowels expanded creating the obvious situation. Duhhh. I haven't had any contamination problems using this method. At first I wiped them with iso but eventually stopped and saw no contams developing. I like this so much better than weighing the cake down.
  • BirdsArentReal and southernblues like this

#2 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 816 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 March 2021 - 10:06 AM

Nice!
Sounds like a really slick trick.

#3 jrh

jrh

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 583 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 March 2021 - 10:36 AM

Healthy mycelium should be fairly resistant to contamination. The risk is generally when contaminants are introduced along with mushroom spores / cultures, to uncolonized spawn / substrate, or to weakened mycelium.

#4 Doldman6six

Doldman6six

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 April 2022 - 06:05 PM

I am seeking info on dunking, I went through my first fruit, and dunked last night now my cake looks nasty, it was all sterile and fresh sterile water am I overreacting or should I worry, I’ve basically decided if I don’t see anything happening in 5-6 days I’m going to trash and wait for the other bay I have colonizing, any info would be greatly appreciated

#5 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 816 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 April 2022 - 06:24 PM

I think it's pretty normal. I'm in no way an expert on this, but after dunking I've thought the same thing. I wonder if maybe a thin casing layer might be most beneficial after a dunk.

But either way you should see some new growth in a few days.

#6 ElPirana

ElPirana

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,117 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 April 2022 - 09:01 PM

No need for a casing after the dunk. Just let it be. The only reason I would throw it out is if I see contamination.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!