Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Black plastic trays with non-smooth bottom - good for bulk containers?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 SelfTransformingMachineElf

SelfTransformingMachineElf

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 128 posts

Posted 28 March 2021 - 07:38 PM

I'm looking at some heavy duty black trays for bulk containers - 11" X 21.5 " x 2.5 " (roughly).  They look pretty nice.  But the bottoms are ridged (for her pleasure - OH YEAH).  Ahem - anyway.  Anybody ever use a non-smooth bottomed container?  I figure as long as they're well-cleaned between uses, that it'd be alright.  My plan is to do a big bulk pasteurization and then run spawn in the trays.

If you perform a search for "black garden trays", you'll probably find what I'm looking at pretty quickly - I don't know how linking/product talk is perceived here, so I don't want to overstep my bounds.

Thinking on it a little more, you would probably really want to make sure there are no air pockets in the ridges - which would probably be difficult.  Thoughts?

#2 jrh

jrh

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 583 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 March 2021 - 08:10 PM

According to the substrate calculator that's roughly 8 qts, so assuming you are using qt jars filled 2/3 (room for shaking) you could use 4 qt jars of spawn to 5 1/2 jars sub for 1:2 or 3 qt jars of spawn to 6 qts of sub for 1:3. I doubt you can mix it very well in a 2 1/2" deep tray, so I'd imagine ideally you can find maybe a 10 gallon trash can liner that will fill the container and you can do your mixing in that and then just put the bag in the tray and cut off the excess. You could cover with whatever to colonize but it sounds like you have a martha or something for fruiting?

Personally I like something taller, but I don't have anything like a martha, so I have to worry about fruiting height for my bulk containers.

Edit: http://substratecalculator.weebly.com/

The substrate calculator

Edited by jrh, 28 March 2021 - 08:14 PM.

• EYMAIOS, Auhron and SelfTransformingMachineElf like this

#3 Auhron

Auhron

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 306 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 March 2021 - 09:31 PM

thanks for the interesting link for substrate calculator, makes easy work of it!!

• jrh likes this

#4 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 9,107 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 March 2021 - 09:41 PM

It would be amazing if someone invented a dome or something for those seed starting flats that allowed some headspace for the mushroom to grow and provided fresh air.

726241-01.jpg

• EYMAIOS, bezevo, Moonless and 1 other like this

#5 EYMAIOS

EYMAIOS

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 268 posts

Posted 29 March 2021 - 04:37 AM

If you put it inside a bigger nylon bag filled with air and tied up would do tha same trick as well, and cheap!

• jrh likes this

#6 SelfTransformingMachineElf

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 128 posts

Posted 29 March 2021 - 07:59 AM

@coorsmikey - the company that I found that sells the tray does sell the domes too.  They are pretty pricey, about $6 per dome if you buy 5.  Actually when I saw the price ($28) I thought it was for 1.  So this is like... 5 times better than that.  I dunno - maybe I give the domes a try...

I like these nylon bag ideas.  Back in my day, turkey bags were the hotness.

• EYMAIOS likes this

#7 SelfTransformingMachineElf

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 128 posts

Posted 29 March 2021 - 08:01 AM

@jrh - lots of good points to think about!  Actually, I was thinking I would just mix up a few trays at a time in a 5 gallon bucket or something.  Still working out the details.   :biggrin:

• jrh likes this

#8 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,190 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 March 2021 - 06:39 PM

saw a fellow using the rotisery chickon to go containers  kinda cool idea .

think  plastic sgoe box dub tubs are good .less to throw our if one contams than bigger tubs

Edited by bezevo, 29 March 2021 - 06:41 PM.

#9 SelfTransformingMachineElf

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 128 posts

Posted 31 March 2021 - 07:27 AM

@bezevo - thanks.  Are the shoeboxes you're talking about clear?  I try to stay away from clear containers when I can due to side pinning, but I'm willing it give it a try.

#10 DaveAviator

DaveAviator

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 April 2021 - 02:50 PM

I'm looking at some heavy duty black trays for bulk containers - 11" X 21.5 " x 2.5 " (roughly).  They look pretty nice.  But the bottoms are ridged (for her pleasure - OH YEAH).  Ahem - anyway.  Anybody ever use a non-smooth bottomed container?  I figure as long as they're well-cleaned between uses, that it'd be alright.  My plan is to do a big bulk pasteurization and then run spawn in the trays.

If you perform a search for "black garden trays", you'll probably find what I'm looking at pretty quickly - I don't know how linking/product talk is perceived here, so I don't want to overstep my bounds.

Thinking on it a little more, you would probably really want to make sure there are no air pockets in the ridges - which would probably be difficult.  Thoughts?

I was thinking the same thing the other day when I was planting plant seeds into rock wool trays, (same as you addressed) and they come with a dorm which will keep the RH up come fruiting time. I have some colonized grain that I'm spawning in a few days so I'll give the none smooth trays a go. I have better success, (no cont) when the depth of the spawn is less than 1.5 inches and these trays will be perfect. I'll let you know how they turn out and thanks for turning on the light bulb, 

#11 SelfTransformingMachineElf

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 128 posts

Posted 11 April 2021 - 05:42 PM

For sure Dave - I'll look forward to a report.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!