• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 SelfTransformingMachineElf

SelfTransformingMachineElf

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 55 posts

Posted 30 March 2021 - 04:32 PM

I'm getting ready for my first run.  I am going to give a go at a no-pour ala catsANDbats democratizes agar-agar (as found in the new vaults agar section).

I see mention of putting on the rocker - but I don't know which weight I'm supposed to use.  I haven't pulled my PC out of storage yet, but I'm pretty sure it's one of those three-piece 5/10/15 psi numbers.  If I'm PCing for 30 minutes, what pressure should that be at?  I'm thinking 15, but want to be certain.  I know there's a knife's edge to balance sterilization and avoid caramelization (is that a word??  feels wrong...)

• Sidestreet likes this

#2 Ambrose

Ambrose

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 March 2021 - 11:04 PM

I use 15 psi and from what I’ve seen most others that can do so as well. I wouldn’t be concerned with caramelization.
30-45 min at 15 psi should be fine. I’ve done over an hour at 15psi and didn’t notice any negative effects.(also remember to vent your PC, rocker off and hissing for 10 min like it says in catsandbats tutorial.)

Edited by Ambrose, 30 March 2021 - 11:11 PM.

#3 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 8,799 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 March 2021 - 03:50 AM

15 psi

#4 sandman

sandman

That Motherfucker

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,022 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 March 2021 - 06:18 AM

agar caramelizes at like 380 degrees.

• SelfTransformingMachineElf likes this

#5 SelfTransformingMachineElf

SelfTransformingMachineElf

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 55 posts

Posted 31 March 2021 - 07:22 AM

Thanks all.  Yeah Ambrose - I never used to vent my PC - that's a new one to me!

#6 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 178 posts

Posted 09 April 2021 - 11:02 AM

Can I throw in a couple agar ???

I get the last of my supplies today. Gonna try karo/potato flakes first.

But once I've got my cups poured and inoculated. How do you guys store them for germination? Room temp? Warmer?

And then once they grow out how do you store them? Refrigerated? How long can they be stored?

I kinda jumped the gun and ordered more spores so I think if I start some agar plates they will store longer cuz I really don't need to be growing out 3 more strains right now. (Although I probably will anyway)

#7 4sporeand7flushes

4sporeand7flushes

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 April 2021 - 11:46 AM

Can I throw in a couple agar ???

I get the last of my supplies today. Gonna try karo/potato flakes first.

But once I've got my cups poured and inoculated. How do you guys store them for germination? Room temp? Warmer?

And then once they grow out how do you store them? Refrigerated? How long can they be stored?

I kinda jumped the gun and ordered more spores so I think if I start some agar plates they will store longer cuz I really don't need to be growing out 3 more strains right now. (Although I probably will anyway)

The first time I bought spore syringes I wasn't anywhere near ready for them so I just stuck the unopened package in the fridge and used them 4 - 5 months later.

#8 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 178 posts

Posted 09 April 2021 - 12:19 PM

The first time I bought spore syringes I wasn't anywhere near ready for them so I just stuck the unopened package in the fridge and used them 4 - 5 months later.

First of all. 4spore. I dig the name.

Guess I was under the impression spore syringes should be used within a month or so. But im new to the game. So I know not most of what I speak of.

I've got the last of my first grow wrapping up and probably produced enough to last me through the summer. But it's so damn fun and I kept perusing and looking at people's grows and I couldn't help myself. I wanted more strains.

I may try to store one of the syringes. But I'm pretty excited about the albino A+ and the tampanensis. So I'm probably gonna start them. From what I've read the tampanensis will probably colonize and grow much slower so they will fruit aftet the others are done? One way to find out.

Also im about to take my first leap into the world of agar and figure I should just try a couple from the syringes at the same time I inoculate some jars.

Edited by Oldpunk, 09 April 2021 - 12:20 PM.

#9 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

• App Administrator
  • 8,799 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 April 2021 - 09:01 PM

The fridge is a good place for spore water.  The longest I've left it refrigerated was over a year and I had 100% germination.  I'm not saying it's a guarantee but you've probably got longer than a month.  That said, fresher is probably better.

• Arathu likes this

#10 4sporeand7flushes

4sporeand7flushes

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 April 2021 - 08:36 PM

First of all. 4spore. I dig the name.

Guess I was under the impression spore syringes should be used within a month or so. But im new to the game. So I know not most of what I speak of.

I've got the last of my first grow wrapping up and probably produced enough to last me through the summer. But it's so damn fun and I kept perusing and looking at people's grows and I couldn't help myself. I wanted more strains.

I may try to store one of the syringes. But I'm pretty excited about the albino A+ and the tampanensis. So I'm probably gonna start them. From what I've read the tampanensis will probably colonize and grow much slower so they will fruit aftet the others are done? One way to find out.

Also im about to take my first leap into the world of agar and figure I should just try a couple from the syringes at the same time I inoculate some jars.

You'll probably want to bone up on LC as well.  It is the fastest and easiest way to propagate mycelium IMO.  MSS, I put to grain and agar; agar is just for redundancy and if the MSS isn't clean I have recourse to segregate clean myc from the plates; my MSS have always been clean and the grain was good to go without having to resort to the agar.  I have also made LC's by scraping the MS agar plates and even cloned a pin into LC that grew on a plate.  After that I start cloning.  I clone to agar and LC at the same time and have never had to use the agar.  I'm not doing any sectoring or isolation, which is only done by agar but maybe I will in the future.

• Sidestreet likes this

#11 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

• App Administrator
  • 8,799 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 April 2021 - 06:06 AM

I clone to agar and LC at the same time and have never had to use the agar.

4spore, to clone, are you cutting inner stem tissue and dropping it right into LC or doing something different?

Edited by Sidestreet, 11 April 2021 - 06:07 AM.

#12 4sporeand7flushes

4sporeand7flushes

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 April 2021 - 09:42 AM

I clone to agar and LC at the same time and have never had to use the agar.

4spore, to clone, are you cutting inner stem tissue and dropping it right into LC or doing something different?

Yes, that is how I'm doing it.

• Sidestreet likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!