• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 SelfTransformingMachineElf

SelfTransformingMachineElf

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 55 posts

Posted 30 March 2021 - 05:00 PM

I'm taking my first foray out of cubes.  For round one, I'm rocking Cope cambo - Sandose (hereafter Sandose), ATL#7, and mexicana (Jalisco).  I am going to start some no-pour "plates" - (1/2 pints actually) of each, and LCs of each.  But I'll have plenty of spore solution remaining.  I was hoping to just be able to go straight to grain.  I've never had much success with grain (wetspot always), but I'm going to try again.  If the LCs pan out at all, then I'll be fine.

Out of these three listed, will I have success going straight to rye berries with any of them?

Also, I'm thinking about trying to go straight to popcorn with my cubes.  I feel like I've had success with that in the past, but can't remember completely.

Thanks for any help.  I'd have like to be more detailed, but I really want to get these questions asked tonight, and things at the house are going a little sideways with the kids and wife is preparing dinner.

#2 SelfTransformingMachineElf

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 55 posts

Posted 30 March 2021 - 08:01 PM

I have another question, and I didn't want to blow the board up.  I'm not very confident in my rye berry preparation.  Looking at the archives some, I see there's a relatively "no fuss" method of just loading the dry rye berries with water (an H3 method from the old archives, linked in the new archives as Subforum: "rye grain prep tech".  But I know others prefer a simmer - sometimes even with coffee?  I would love thoughts on what to try first - I'm planning on using rye berries for the above mentioned: cambos, ATL#7, and mexicana (Jalisco).

Thanks for any help.   :wub:

#3 Ambrose

Ambrose

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 March 2021 - 10:40 PM

Never grown pans but for the stone producers I’d definitely use the leftovers on grain and or brf cakes, gotta use it somehow. Moreover in the past I’ve had syringes that refused to grow anything except for bacteria on agar and would only germinate on grain and brf(which I then transferred to agar to expand and have as backup.)

Best of luck!

• coorsmikey likes this

#4 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 8,799 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 March 2021 - 03:49 AM

Here, try this grain prep tek:

https://mycotopia.ne...ct-wheat-berry/

#5 SelfTransformingMachineElf

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 55 posts

Posted 31 March 2021 - 07:24 AM

Thanks Sidestreet - that's pretty similar to H3's rye berry write-up.  I hope I have better results this time.

Ambrose - last I checked (a decade ago), folks were of the general impression that stones wouldn't form on PF - but I have done some reading now that would suggest otherwise!  So I'll make sure to include a PF jar for the stones too!

#6 Ambrose

Ambrose

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 31 March 2021 - 12:42 PM

Yeah I tend to only go for fruits(although stones are nice,) and was thinking moreso in terms of getting clean mycelium in case the agar doesn't germinate and also to fruit once colonized.
I believe the cakes would form stones, but if stones are your main goal then shooting to grain will be a better route(stones covered in verm probably wouldnt be super appealing.)
  • SelfTransformingMachineElf likes this

#7 fahtster

fahtster

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,136 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 March 2021 - 01:27 PM

I use to do no prep rye (dry rye in qts with water added and then pc’d) but then started doing the summer and I like it much more and it’s really easy. I don’t soak or anything.. I literally put the rye into a pot (1 cup per qt I’m wanting to make) and cover with twice the amount of water.. bring to boil and reduce to heavy simmer (halfway on my stove) for 35 minutes. I actually like a decent amount of burst grains (myc likes the extra starch) but if you want less, I’d check it at 30ish minutes. Then strain and let sit for 30 minutes,
Shaking every once in a while. Then load and pc for 90-120 minutes. Remove from pc while still warm and shake. Super easy

Faht

Edited by fahtster, 31 March 2021 - 01:28 PM.

• Sidestreet, rockyfungus, Ambrose and 1 other like this

#8 SelfTransformingMachineElf

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 55 posts

Posted 31 March 2021 - 07:48 PM

@Ambrose - fruits are also something that I really want - so since I'm going to have extra anyway, may as well try to get those.  I dislike the getting spores process, so I have to figure out how to get my own moving forward.

@fahtster - thanks.  I'm still torn.  I'm going to keep thinking on it, although I remember reading a good tek in the stone producers archive that was suggesting a simmer with coffee - so I may give that a try.

#9 fahtster

fahtster

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,136 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 March 2021 - 08:22 PM

Yeah.. I’ve definitely just poured coffee in.. not a ton maybe like a 1/4-1/2 cup per 3 cups of rye. It doesn’t take much. You can overdo it. I did notice an decrease in colonization times but didn’t notice much beyond that.

Faht

Edited by fahtster, 31 March 2021 - 09:28 PM.

• coorsmikey and SelfTransformingMachineElf like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!