22 replies to this topic

#1 Moonless

Moonless

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 916 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 March 2021 - 07:48 PM

I love growing mushrooms and am impressed with all the cool medicinal properties. I started growing cubes for myself a few years ago and my love for mushroom cultivation has only grown since then. Lately I've been super interested in edible and medicinal fungi, especially the latter. This thread is to document a little project that I want to undertake: reaping the medicinal benefits of fungi by growing and synthesizing medicine from a variety of popular medicinal species. I have a lot to learn so collaboration, comments, advice and criticism is welcomed on this thread. Without any further ado lets begin.

Edited by Moonless, 30 March 2021 - 09:03 PM.

• Sidestreet, Arathu, skunk and 7 others like this

#2 Moonless

Moonless

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 916 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 March 2021 - 09:03 PM

Cordyceps Militaris:

I've been playing with an agar culture of this mushroom for almost three months now. I'm unsure of the particular strain but it is one of the four strains KS1-4 which were derived from breeding the cordy kong and cordy zilla strains together. As seen from my failed grow the culture produces a vibrantly orange mycelium and rips through grains. This time I'm going to follow a tried and true method to get the fruits.

Now from my research, cordy mycelium has medicinal properties, and even contains the star chemical cordycepin albeit in smaller amounts. This means that effective medicine can be made from the cultured mycelium.

For the grow I am going with a method derived from a video I watched from MycoLyco. The recipe is not Noah's but he explained it quite well for me. It is as follows:

Broth:

3 Eggs,

1Tbs Malt Extract,

1 Tbs Yeast

Fill to 500ml with water

For each jar:

35g dried brown rice

60ml broth

I did three jars with that recipe and one test jar

Test Jar:

35g dried brown rice

2 tbsp mixed beans

60ml water

I then put on high pressure in my Instapot for 75 min.

These were inoculated with agar on March 28th

together.jpg

Here is an up close of the test jar

beans.jpg

And one of the tried and true method

cordycake.jpg

So cordy easily fruits in jars so I have some modified lids for these!

lids.jpg

The goal is to get some fruits. Lets see how it turns out.

Reflection:

The recipe I used is one of many methods of producing cordyceps fruits. The competition spured from the mainstreaming of cordyceps cultivation first in Asia and later North America has produced a variety of cultivation methods and strain development aimed at creating the best fruiting and most potent cordyceps. The cultivation recipe of William Padilla Brown of by far the most known and used by members here.

Basic Media Recipe
3 cups of Grains (Rice, Millet, Local Wild Grass Seed, Popcorn)
6 cups Water
2 tbsp Sucrose
1 tbsp Corn or Potato Starch
1 tbsp Yeast Extract or Nutritional Yeast (Nitrogen Source)
1 tsp Azomite
For Glass WideMouth Jars
Measure out and fill your quart jars with ¼ cup of dry grain. Fill a container with 6 cups of water,
add your dry ingredients and mix them in one by one. Once your nutrient broth is thoroughly
mixed add ½ cup of the broth into each jar. Close the jar and cover the top with aluminum foil.
Proceed to pressure cook your jars at 15psi for 1hr. Let Jars cool in canner.

From William Padilla Brown's cordyceps handbook vol.1

I have not tried it myself.

A big thing that my recipe is missing compared to Brown's is minerals, provided by the Azomite. Because my eggs are pasture raised I believe the egg could have the minerals because these chickens are out eating grubs and dirt. Nevertheless I am curious to see how these turn out.

Questions:

Would cordyceps mycelium grown on pure brown rice have a comparable amount of medicine to that of cordyceps grown on amended brown rice?

Edited by Moonless, 30 March 2021 - 09:07 PM.

• Sidestreet, Riza, skunk and 4 others like this

#3 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 1,221 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 March 2021 - 09:03 PM

Good luck! Unfortunately the only medicinal mush that I've grown, that doesn't blue when picked, is Lions Mane. It was a fairly straightforward grow with wood based sub instead of poo. The processing was basic too. I look forward to your adventures and learning more along the way!
  • MushLuvR likes this

#4 Moonless

Moonless

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 916 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 March 2021 - 09:13 PM

Good luck! Unfortunately the only medicinal mush that I've grown, that doesn't blue when picked, is Lions Mane. It was a fairly straightforward grow with wood based sub instead of poo. The processing was basic too. I look forward to your adventures and learning more along the way!

Good to know. Lions mane is on my list. What temps did you grow it in? It will stay 70-75 indoors for the next few months for me.

Send me a pm if you want to give cordy a try and I'll hook ya up when I expand my culture.

Edited by Moonless, 30 March 2021 - 09:15 PM.

• Riza, YoshiTrainer and MushLuvR like this

#5 Auhron

Auhron

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 306 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 March 2021 - 09:25 PM

Primordia Formation for Lion's Mane is 50-60 degrees, Fruitbody Development  ideal range 65-75, according to GGMM by Stamets.  The strain I'm growing has been fairly forgiving in terms of temperatures, Primordia has formed in the mid 60's, one stubborn block I threw it the fridge for about 8 hours and I noticed Primordia forming the next day.  Loving my Lion's Mane.  I'll be watching this thread. I look forward to your success.

• Sidestreet, skunk, Moonless and 2 others like this

#6 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 651 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 March 2021 - 06:59 PM

Cordyceps is powerful stuff, I’ve just started eating it. Mine is a Purica product but I’d love to try growing my own. Thank you for all this awesome information. I’m prepping about 20 bags of Lion’s Mane to grow in a friend’s greenhouse in the next couple of weeks, should be interesting. Best of luck with your projects :)
  • Moonless and MushLuvR like this

#7 Moonless

Moonless

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 916 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 March 2021 - 09:23 PM

You're very much welcome Don! I'm just putting down research and the process here to archive it. I want to put more medicinal grows here for others to get inspired by, Im building off the recent momentum of the edibles and medicinal forum, theres been a lot of cool grow logs and discussion going on lately. Gosh I'm just so geeked for the cordy because of the energy and vitality properties. Super cool that you find your cordyceps medicine potent. I'm hoping mine will be potent too :) If you haven't already got some I'd be more than happy to send you a wedge.

Wow man 20 bags! You've got your hands full! No worries, I think I've gone mushroom crazy too ;) I was counting my bags and I don't even think I have enough space for them lol. Well see how it turns out as some blocks will become spent, some will contaminate etc. I always feel like the mushroom spirit reins me in when I go overboard creating spawn or something :)

Thanks and good luck to ya too :)

• Riza, skunk and MushLuvR like this

#8 Moonless

Moonless

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 916 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 April 2021 - 12:48 PM

Cordycep Jars Update:

It has been around 18 days since I inoculated the cordyceps jars. All of them are contam free and ripping up their food. The jar with beans has the slowest colonization but it is the thickest and is growing up the sides in a thick mat of mycelium more so than the others. The jars with the traditional recipe are doing great and almost fully colonized. Here are some pictures.

Cordy Jar.jpg Cordy Jar 2.jpg

Cordy Jar 3.jpg Cordy Jar 4.jpg

• Sidestreet, Arathu, skunk and 3 others like this

#9 ElPirana

ElPirana

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 936 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 April 2021 - 02:23 PM

Those are looking great Moonless!
  • Moonless likes this

#10 Auhron

Auhron

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 306 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 April 2021 - 03:50 PM

Nicely done Moonless.

• Moonless likes this

#11 Moonless

Moonless

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 916 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 April 2021 - 04:06 PM

Thanks yall. I have some liquid cultures of some other medical species like lions mane and turkey tail but I am suspicious of my spawn. I got some uncle bens bags to do a quick and easy test though. The cordy is easy.

#12 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,920 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 April 2021 - 04:11 PM

Beautiful work Moonless! I haven't fiddled with this species yet but it's on my list for sure.

Thanks for sharing.....

A

• Moonless likes this

#13 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,190 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 May 2021 - 12:25 PM

GREAT WORK MOONLESS !

A few yrs ago My first lions mane culture syringe i bought ewas to contaminated to  clean up .

my second culture i bought was dead ...................or i killed it

this spring i cheated and bought a 7lb organic substrate bag  from a  Hippy guy in North Carolina . it arrived cpl days ago .. if i can get it to fruit i will try and get several  plates  , / cultures going . next  i have a 7lb bag of Red Reishi  pre inoculated bag  to be shipped soon on back order .. . I'M A CHEATER HEH

BEZ

Edited by bezevo, 23 May 2021 - 12:26 PM.

• Moonless and YoshiTrainer like this

#14 drmcnasty

drmcnasty

Resident Pervert

• OG VIP
  • 1,173 posts

Donator

Posted 23 May 2021 - 06:04 PM

You offset the cheating by supporting someone's love for fungus. We can let your transgressions slide and the vendor appreciates the cash.

Edited by drmcnasty , 23 May 2021 - 06:05 PM.

• Moonless and MushLuvR like this

#15 Moonless

Moonless

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 916 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 May 2021 - 08:59 PM

I'm still trying with the lions mane Bez! Though in the past I have always had failure, I might get lucky with some rice bags I inoculated about two months ago. I wan to grow turkey tail and reishi soon too!

All of the jars are clean still clean! They sit on a shelf still sealed in their jars. No fruits yet but I have a bunch of homemade capsules filled with myceliated rice.

Pics soon to come!

• bezevo and MushLuvR like this

#16 Moonless

Moonless

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 916 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 June 2021 - 10:13 PM

I'm still trying with the lions mane Bez! Though in the past I have always had failure, I might get lucky with some rice bags I inoculated about two months ago. I wan to grow turkey tail and reishi soon too!

All of the jars are clean still clean! They sit on a shelf still sealed in their jars. No fruits yet but I have a bunch of homemade capsules filled with myceliated rice.

Pics soon to come!

It's been hot here 78-85 inside the house. I've got reishi, lions mane and turkey tail that I just spawned to coir. Rishi is tearing up the coir, the other two show no signs of colonizing the coir. Maybe they don't like the sub or conditions I have here. Coir isn't commonly used for wood lovers and it is hot as balls.

#17 Moonless

Moonless

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 916 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 June 2021 - 08:32 PM

Making Cordyceps Medicine

I used colonized brown rice for my pills. I made sure to give the cordy a lot of time to make it's medicine, about two months. Here is what the jars looked like.

123 (1).jpg 123 (5).jpg

I used my mushroom dehydrator to dry the myceliated rice.

123 (2).jpg 123 (4).jpg

A pill filler machine was used to make some capsules.

127.jpg

All in all I take two capsules every once in a while in the morning. I don't notice any effects.

Attached Thumbnails

• 123 (3).jpg

• coorsmikey, skunk, ElPirana and 2 others like this

#18 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 657 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 June 2021 - 08:30 AM

I remember reading an article on Cordyceps. But could you refresh my memory on what it's used for?

I've considered trying some medicinal and edibles as well one of these days.

#19 Moonless

Moonless

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 916 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 June 2021 - 02:41 PM

I remember reading an article on Cordyceps. But could you refresh my memory on what it's used for?

I've considered trying some medicinal and edibles as well one of these days.

Libido

#20 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,501 posts

Posted 25 June 2021 - 05:36 PM

Shit I guess I can't ever grow Cordyceps...Are you struggling with lions mane still? They are easier then cubes IMHO.

• Moonless likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!