• Arathu, Juthro, FLASHINGROOSTER and 1 other like this

#42 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,347 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 August 2021 - 10:14 PM

There it is! Should of known better to skate in the dark.

Went for a evening cruise to a usual spot. Know it like the back of my hand I thought. Was doing some nice tight carves and then my board stopped and I'm flying through the air. Here's my moment to shine, I've been practicing tumbling which feels so odd in middle age.

Sweet my hands aren't bracing my fall. Fuck that's my elbow and that's my knee and that's my helmet smacking the pavement. Wait, my legs are going over my head, I'm on my feet! 
Fuck my leg stings and my arm is a bit numb. My pants feel a bit wet and my arm is stinging. As I got under a street-light to observe the damages.  I find one bloody elbow full of road and a bleeding knee. Guess I need to just bite the bullet and always wear the safety gear. I'm just glad I was able to keep my limbs in and have a slightly more graceful & controlled fall, the damage would of been worse if I braced like my instincts wanted. 

Wonder if that church has the CC footage!

Turns out they dumped pavers in the road to finish off land scaping. 

#43 shiftingshadows

shiftingshadows

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 533 posts

Posted 19 August 2021 - 08:26 PM

Indeed danger often comes with speed, in the case of a motor cycle, if there is a blown out front tire, at 90 mph there are, of course, no 3 other wheels to possibly save one's ass. And of course it feels better without a helmet. Which was legal where I lived then.

Back in the day, (in the 1980s), before my cane, this was it, a BMW RT100, 980 displacement, weight about 450lb   https://s1.cdn.autoe...-RT-11030_2.jpg

I can't seem to figure out how to actually load images.  :blush:  :eek:

Edited by shiftingshadows, 19 August 2021 - 08:48 PM.

#44 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,347 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 August 2021 - 09:37 PM

Did you fall at 90mph without a helmet and make it out with only a cane? If so you're very lucky!

Beautiful bike, I know I can't handle one so I stay away. 

#45 shiftingshadows

shiftingshadows

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 533 posts

Posted 20 August 2021 - 10:04 AM

No, lifting too much weight, (moving cinder blocks, while fasting, which had weakened my muscles temporarily, to hold down plastic, due to sudden unexpected high winds) probably did damage to my back, which time gradually exacerbated.

A 'youthful' folly for which the price is non negotiable.

The nice thing about the boxer engine, with opposed cylinders, was enormous stability, so in the Fall, when the leaves were changing color, I could ride at low speed (may be around 25mph, depending on curves in the road), without a helmet, and flow thru 360ยบ of color. A lovely treat.

After moving to a much more congested state, (traffic wise), I sold it, decades ago. So a life of both bad & wiser choices.

#46 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,347 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 August 2021 - 10:19 PM

Sounds lovely! Miss true fall in the NE.

There it is! Should of known better to skate in the dark.

WTF DUDE! 4 days later and you do the same shit and hit a fucking brick in the road.

Heard live music and as a wannabe musician I had to follow my ear. Was riding a board I dislike and made it downhill to the noise and waited for them to go on break. Skated back up hill and grabbed THE BOARD. Felt good it's like finding that guitar, just fits the body well. Anyways I'm hustling and hearing a killer salsa perhaps, bass is pumping, drummer is in the pocket, and i'm in the grooving, hips are moving to the beat and I'm fucking sailing, then I'm picking my ass off the ground.

Some fucking teenagers must of thrown a brick in the intersection there was cars for blocks. 

Time for full safety gear my elbows are getting destroyed. Any thoughts on rigging front facing lights?

Edited by rockyfungus, 21 August 2021 - 10:22 PM.

• TVCasualty likes this

#47 shiftingshadows

shiftingshadows

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 533 posts

Posted 22 August 2021 - 08:06 AM

ouch

• TVCasualty likes this

#48 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 7,431 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 August 2021 - 08:50 AM

The Old Age Truck..........hahahaha that's not bullshit right there......

Rocky I made the mistake of ordering one of them skateboard thingies from Californy back in the 70's.....man was it fun...and what do you think I did with it???? 

Hell yeah, found the biggest hill I knew of and took that damned thing down it......it FLEW. Man was that fun too.......until the tar....at I don't know how fast .....it's a BIG hill......

The board stopped nicely......me not so much.....still have cinders and scarring in my arms and knee's.....I'm no good at that shit but crazy enough to have tried it.....

Course I do still ride a motorcycle but wearing leather armor and a racing helmet.....

A

• TVCasualty and rockyfungus like this

#49 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 15,081 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 August 2021 - 08:52 AM

Time for full safety gear my elbows are getting destroyed. Any thoughts on rigging front facing lights?

There are already a bunch of commercially-available lighting options that are designed specifically for skateboards (including LED ground effects).

Doing these kinds of things at night can turn what would normally be a mellow daytime journey into a real white-knuckle adventure so I can see the appeal.

Back when I was a raft guide we (myself and other guides) would sometimes go rafting on class-IV rapids at night. We'd tape glow sticks to our helmets and paddles and hang a few from the raft for good measure. Surreal times. Then we got a crazy idea and made a stack of 5 rafts that we climbed on top of after pushing it into the river and just let it float where it wanted (also at night). We eventually made it to the take out and somehow didn't dump in any rapids but got stuck on rocks a lot (had to climb down and push the stack back off) so didn't try that again.

• rockyfungus likes this

#50 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 15,081 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 August 2021 - 09:13 AM

The Old Age Truck..........hahahaha that's not bullshit right there......

Rocky I made the mistake of ordering one of them skateboard thingies from Californy back in the 70's.....man was it fun...and what do you think I did with it???? 

Hell yeah, found the biggest hill I knew of and took that damned thing down it......it FLEW. Man was that fun too.......until the tar....at I don't know how fast .....it's a BIG hill......

The board stopped nicely......me not so much.....still have cinders and scarring in my arms and knee's.....I'm no good at that shit but crazy enough to have tried it.....

Course I do still ride a motorcycle but wearing leather armor and a racing helmet.....

A

I quit riding my mountain bike in town while wearing sandals (when I'd go to work or school while I was living in Tucson) after I got road rash on my toes, the top of my foot, my ankle, all up my right leg, my butt, elbow, hand, and a few fingers. Fun times.

I went down while going so fast through a pedestrian underpass (with bike lanes) with 30' high steeply-sloped concrete sides I couldn't resist using like a half-pipe that I managed to slide about 6 feet uphill on the steeply-sloped concrete part before running out of momentum and then sliding back down to the asphalt part. It was like falling onto a huge belt sander. When I saw what happened (the pain hadn't kicked in yet) I jumped back on the bike and rode as fast as I could to a friend's place a few blocks away who I knew would have some serious pain meds. I knew I only had a few minutes before "oh shit, that ain't good" blossomed into serious, excruciating pain. He took one look at me and hooked me right up, lol. I went through a lot of Bag Balm on that one. The only good thing about it was that it happened on the concrete slope so there were no little rocks or asphalt chunks to scrape out of my skin (that time).

I guess this thread could also be called "What do you crash, fall off of, or smack into for fun?"

Edited by TVCasualty, 22 August 2021 - 09:28 AM.

• Arathu likes this

#51 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,347 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 August 2021 - 09:48 AM

A. Only way it should be done! But turns shave off momentum. The innovations in design/materials from the 70's makes these new boards sports cars. 

Sandals and a bike, only took me a few times in my youth of catching a pedal or asphalt to wear shoes. Damn hippie, were they Birkenstock's  :biggrin: cuz mine were. 

Taking a surfboard to the nose is another fun past time. Eating a reef, man-o-war stings, sea lice and aggressive territorial surfers

Hahah wild stories TV! Nice with the lighting too lazy/frugal to google it and still haven't bought safety gear. My wife had to talk me out of a morning cruise. I didn't get to burn my energy reserves yesterday and have a ton of office work to focus on. I don't want to take meds and usually need to burn myself out to sit down. 

I guess I'm still young and dumb enough to take risks. Probably going through a nearly mid-life crisis. I broke my arm when I was a teenager playing hockey on blades (years before one joke ruined them, glad to see them back in style). I guess I'm waiting for a serious concussion or broken bone. Also like many other things in my life reward>risk, if I get in serious trouble at least I was doing something I enjoy instead of sitting in an office. 

Woke up to a sore ass, hip, elbow, wrist, and palm. Abrasions, contusions, little foreign body removals and fuck it!

Edited by rockyfungus, 22 August 2021 - 09:58 AM.

• TVCasualty and Arathu like this

#52 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 15,081 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 August 2021 - 11:03 AM

Sandals and a bike, only took me a few times in my youth of catching a pedal or asphalt to wear shoes. Damn hippie, were they Birkenstock's  :biggrin: cuz mine were. 

Steel-toed Tevas!

Well, they weren't actually steel-toed sandals but I always wanted a pair while living in the desert but nobody made anything like that back then. They exist now, though, and look as weird as you might expect.

• rockyfungus likes this

#53 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,347 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 August 2021 - 02:38 PM

Watched a bunch of judo, parkour, and skaters explaining how to fall and disperse energy. Interesting and counter-intuitive. My wife watched me incorporate into my yoga practice this AM and tried to show me how the gymnasts do it. Sorry babe, gonna trust the dudes transferring blows, speed, and jumps. 

I used to enjoy desert boots for the desert and most terrain. My feet aren't liking them anymore. 

https://i.redd.it/lvdmj18pkwa51.jpg

My new favorite person Skweezy...

Edited by rockyfungus, 22 August 2021 - 02:40 PM.

• TVCasualty likes this

#54 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,347 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 September 2021 - 05:59 PM

Laid low and did lame bike paths for about a month till I finally healed up and also got some PPE. Rubber gloves, face shield and a spray bottle of sanitizer. Oh wait wrong PPE.

Got back to the hills with full gear. Helmet (always), knee, elbow, and slide gloves. Pushed it a bit too hard and feel like I squatted my max weight. Legs are yelling which is a nice change. 

Tried to use a website to see my elevation change and it said, "6,122ft, or a 3131% grade" Let's assume it was a 122 feet (doubt it). Either way top speed was 22mph and sketchy! Once 30ish is comfy and not buttclenching I may consider a "boosted" board. 

Edit: If I go straight on a road it makes more sense. Apparently turning at the bottom of the hill screws up the website. 52 feet max change. Makes a lot more sense considering some houses are 2 stories and they go about 3 down the hill. 

Edited by rockyfungus, 17 September 2021 - 06:01 PM.

#55 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,347 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 October 2021 - 07:01 PM

Dead and Co is playing pretty close tonight. Perhaps my spot I always get kicked out of. Let's see how long it takes tonight. Maybe I'll skate into shakedown...wish I had the balls to trade

• coorsmikey likes this

#56 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,347 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 December 2021 - 12:52 PM

Hah been a minute since I skated. Met a guy walking a dog in a suit that night. Couldn't disclose if it was a band members dog.

Welp, put a hole in my braking foot and I'm going to do the cheapo thing and fill it in with gorilla glue and maybe duct tape. I'll probably actually get a piece of tire and resole the area I brake with. Time to start using my toes or heels...

[Direct Link]

Edited by rockyfungus, 13 December 2021 - 12:53 PM.

#57 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,347 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 January 2022 - 05:05 PM

Lady and I went for a skate yesterday (she has a scooter, lame). Allowed me to ease into it.

Today was 64F so I went to a bike trail and started with some nice slow jams. Then turned the punk on and went a little too fast considering the state of a fall now.

Got to the parking lot and loosened my trucks, immediately lost balance and bloody knuckles. Time for new leather gloves I wear through them fast.

[Direct Link]

Edited by rockyfungus, 13 January 2022 - 05:05 PM.

#58 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 9,177 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 January 2022 - 06:53 PM

Dead and Co is playing pretty close tonight. Perhaps my spot I always get kicked out of. Let's see how long it takes tonight. Maybe I'll skate into shakedown...wish I had the balls to trade

Damn I wish I saw this that night. The time you posted this Wharfrat was holding our spot in line for posters while me and the other halves were cruising Shakedown. I only saw one cat on a board that weekend and it was one of those one wheeled hover boards. If that was you let me know and I will forgive you for parking it directly behind me so I would trip on it when I turned around. lol did you ever make the shows? I did wish I had brought some wheels for that venue on that freshly paved loop.

E373EEB3-1347-410A-A5B9-CFFE217C3473.jpeg

Edited by coorsmikey, 13 January 2022 - 07:08 PM.

• rockyfungus likes this

#59 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,347 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 January 2022 - 07:23 PM

I don't ride no hoverboard. Skater's are the most considerate as we are trying not to have a shit image no more. It's the hoverboards and scooters...

I'm pleading the 5th as you may be blowing my spot up. Actually that's my spot and sick poster! Amazing shows from the street.

FUCKING A, I would of gave a donation in cash...Now that you know my stomping ground, let me know if you're around.

#60 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 9,177 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 January 2022 - 08:17 PM

Well, to throw in a worse kicker, I had 8 tix for the 22 that I was over issued that were waisted cuz I wasn't sure if they would void out the others. I didn't want to give them away to have someone not get in. Found out later they were valid. You could have been the guinea pig to test them and if not you could have warmed the vehicle for when we got out, it was cold that night.

Edited by coorsmikey, 13 January 2022 - 08:21 PM.

• rockyfungus likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!