4 replies to this topic

#1 Ziran

Ziran

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 04:36 AM

No Pour Plates Ziran Style

This is a simple a straight up way to make no pour plates. Using something very similar to pasty plates.

No drills no micropore tape. All you need is the containers, agar, potato flakes, some honey, sugar or karo.

The recipe! Thanks to munch for it

Potato Dextrose Agar & Pasty Plate Preperation

For 8-10 Pasty Plates You Will Need:
- 1 gram honey or raw sugar
- 2 grams agar
- 3 grams potato flakes (plain instant mashed potatos)
- 1/2 cup water
- optional: food coloring

Directions:
- Set your stove-top to high, then combine all ingredients in a pot. Use the hot water to help dissolve the honey.
- Let the mixture reach a boil
- Upon boiling, immediately remove and pour into a measuring cup. You can use the cup to see how close to 1/2 cup you are. if you cooked off too much water, you can simply add some back in.

I simply pour my agar into these ziplock round containers. Also found some neat ones that are about as big as the 4oz jelly jars.

Then after the pour is complete, simply screw the lids on tight, and do about a 1/4 to a half of a turn to loosen it up. It shouldn't come off but will be on tight enough not to melt the plastic. Just like in the gif below.

798659293 Lid Gif resized

After this is complete, cover the lids in tinfoil like so

and into the pc they go for 30 minutes at 15 psi.

After a few transfers, you'll end up with plates like this.

1st Transfer

Made 2nd Transfer

Made 3rd Transfer

And some expansion.

And here are some clean and ready to use cultures!

I have found so far that with the bigger containers it is easier to start a culture/clone in the big containers and transfer to smaller containers like so. This plate is from my BFM clone I started. It is just so much easier to transfer away from contamns as there is so much more surface area compared to the small 4 oz jelly jars.

And the new plates!

3rd transfer plates

A king oyster master in my newer plates

Edited by Ziran, 05 April 2021 - 04:37 AM.

• Sidestreet and Salem like this

#2 Seeker2be

Seeker2be

Seeking Lost Horizons

• OG VIP
  • 1,386 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 April 2021 - 10:13 AM

Great ,but one purchase of a  dozen the anchor hocking square half pints for better visibility and long term recycled use is my go to .  Also you can make slants with them and see clean culture as well as make LI easily by injecting sterile water and shaking.  For LI it is even better though not necessary to make soft agar..

• Sidestreet likes this

#3 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

Digging for Rainbows

• App Administrator
  • 9,127 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 April 2021 - 04:42 PM

I like it.  I've used similar containers in the PC before--do you find that they warp after a few runs in the cooker?

I also like Seeker's recommendation of the glass flat-sided half-pints for not using plastic.

#4 Ziran

Ziran

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 08:58 PM

I like to use these clear mason jar with plastic lids too. The only ones I really had warp are the generic cheap ones. the ziplock ones tend to last the longest.

20210405 205704

edit. Donno why it uploaded upside down

Edited by Ziran, 05 April 2021 - 09:01 PM.

• Sidestreet likes this

#5 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

Digging for Rainbows

• App Administrator
  • 9,127 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 April 2021 - 04:13 AM

I think the upside down / sideways uploads might have something to do with large pictures.  I like to size pics down before posting because of it.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!