9 replies to this topic

#1 Spacenaut3120

Spacenaut3120

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 05:40 AM

Hi All,

I'm on newby restrictions, so apologies if I'm not supposed to post this here...

Ok, so I bought a Panaeolus Cyanescens spore syringe... The syringe is also labelled so... HOWEVER  :dry: .... clearly not Panaeolus Cyanescens. I thought they may have mixed it up with Psilocybe Cyanescens, but these aren't those either. 

I'm guessing Cubes of some kind, but I can't narrow it down. I've grown Cubes before, but these are different. 

So if anyone can help ID, I'd very much appreciate it. 

Mycelium was grown on Hpoo/BRF 1/2 pint cakes (from MEA) which took 6 weeks to colonise. (That was my first clue)

I'd made up a couple more jars than I needed just to experiment with. So the very first pin from the first fully colonised jar, I took to agar. Then I birthed that cake as it was. 

The 2nd spare cake, I split in half and cased it with peat moss, verm and calcium carbonate. (These 2 are just experimental)

Fruiting chamber is RH 97%, temp 26c. 

The pics are from a 12hr period from pins to picking.

The rest of the cakes I grated to bulk sub of Hpoo, verm and BRF and they are colonising the sub now. 

Tried to take a spore print, but after 24hrs there was barely a print. 

As you can see from the pics, they're defo not Pans.

DSC_0171.JPG DSC_0158.JPG DSC_0160.JPG DSC_0162.JPG DSC_0166.JPG DSC_0167.JPG DSC_0168.JPG DSC_0169.JPG DSC_0172.JPG DSC_0191.JPG

#2 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 8,790 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 April 2021 - 04:55 PM

You're fine, this is a good third post.  Welcome!  They look like Cubensis to me too.  You could probably contact the vendor to ask for a replacement and say that, under a microscope, you found these not to be pan. cyan. spores.

Edited by Sidestreet, 05 April 2021 - 04:55 PM.

#3 Spacenaut3120

Spacenaut3120

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 April 2021 - 06:50 AM

Thanks Sidestreet. Yea, I sent them a message through their website, no reply yet.

It's the first time I've come across a mislabelling, do you hear a lot of reports of it?

#4 Mycol

Mycol

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 180 posts

Posted 06 April 2021 - 07:02 AM

Which vendor did you use ?

#5 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,540 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 April 2021 - 11:01 AM

A more specific ID beyond Cubensis is going to prove difficult for you... There is so much variance within each particular type of cube and so many of them look similar that you may have to be content simply knowing that they are some type of cube.

#6 Spacenaut3120

Spacenaut3120

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 April 2021 - 11:25 AM

Which vendor did you use ?

Am I allowed to post that?

A more specific ID beyond Cubensis is going to prove difficult for you... There is so much variance within each particular type of cube and so many of them look similar that you may have to be content simply knowing that they are some type of cube.

Yea that's a fair point. Personally I don't think there's a notable difference between them for potency etc and they all grow in the same conditions anyway.

#7 Spacenaut3120

Spacenaut3120

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 April 2021 - 05:00 AM

Well that's odd. Anyone know what would cause the cap to split?

DSC_0159.JPG

Edited by Spacenaut3120, 09 April 2021 - 05:02 AM.

#8 jrh

jrh

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 540 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 April 2021 - 07:23 AM

1. When you contact the vendor, generally don't mention that you grew the mushrooms and they turned out to be cubes. You always need to talk around it like the spores look like cube spores, or ask if people are reporting any problems with batch # 123456 as they look like cube spores to you, etc.

2. I think cracking can happen if things get too dry... like the top of the cap gets too dry, then when the mushroom is able to grow again, the top splits. Bread and cakes do this in the oven as well... the top finishes baking then when the middle continues to rise, the top splits. I'm not the expert on rH, but all your pinning pics look like there's not enough humidity to me.

#9 Spacenaut3120

Spacenaut3120

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 April 2021 - 08:44 AM

1. When you contact the vendor, generally don't mention that you grew the mushrooms and they turned out to be cubes. You always need to talk around it like the spores look like cube spores, or ask if people are reporting any problems with batch # 123456 as they look like cube spores to you, etc.

2. I think cracking can happen if things get too dry... like the top of the cap gets too dry, then when the mushroom is able to grow again, the top splits. Bread and cakes do this in the oven as well... the top finishes baking then when the middle continues to rise, the top splits. I'm not the expert on rH, but all your pinning pics look like there's not enough humidity to me.

Thanks jrh.

Yea, I didn't mention to them how I knew they weren't Pans and gave the batch number. 

My RH is showing at 97%. plenty of droplets on the walls etc. Could be a faulty sensor maybe, but from what I've grown before the humidity feels right. I'll crank it up a bit and see if any others split. Cheers

#10 jrh

jrh

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 540 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 April 2021 - 09:34 AM

If the humidity is good, then I'd believe that over what I'm seeing in a couple of pics.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!