• Please log in to reply
186 replies to this topic

#1 phalanx

phalanx

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 609 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 07:41 PM

First of all, my reason has nothing to do with violence or terrorism.

I think all religions should be banned because they put you out of touch with reality by making you believe in things which havent been proved. To survive, prosper and make good decisions, you need to know what the reality is. Religions generally create a fog of misperceptions which are a handicap in one's life.

What do you guys think of that?

#2 chimp

chimp

Space Lord Modulator

• Expired Member
  • 5,911 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 07:49 PM

Everyone makes there own reality IMO. I have no loyalty to any religion and have have contempt for alot of them because I think that they make people unnaccountable for their actions. Because of some higher purpose they feel justified in condemning others way of life or unwantingly asserting(for a lack of better words at the moment) their belief system upon others. That doesn't mean that I can Condemn them for their actions or what I hold contempt for would be something inside of me .

I am not sure if that made sense to anyone but it makes sense to me

#3 mycobri

mycobri

Stained Blue

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 08:09 PM

how can you really stop what someone truly believes :eusa_sile

#4 Guest_CoyoteMesc_*

Guest_CoyoteMesc_*

Posted 24 September 2006 - 08:14 PM

The tax cuts/breaks needs to be banned.....

and incentives...imho:eusa_snoo

its totally :bs:

#5 chimp

chimp

Space Lord Modulator

• Expired Member
  • 5,911 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 08:17 PM

Agreed

#6 Sky Rayven

Sky Rayven

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 652 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 08:24 PM

Believe what you feel to be true in your heart. I would like to ban a few religions but I am not going to say what they are.

No All relig. shouldn't be banned. Freedome to choose is important.

I get a little out all different types of relig. I take what I want and leave the rest behind

#7 Sky Rayven

Sky Rayven

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 652 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 08:25 PM

I second that motion

#8 cherkropper

cherkropper

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 153 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 08:28 PM

Let us create God in our own image.
He won't be able to prove we exist because he will be trapped in space-time (his reality) and we exist outside of his reality. Should we take pity on him and tell him that we exist or would he be inquisitive enough to find out for himself? Would he delude himself into thinking we exist if we are all a fiction? If he comes to the conclusion that we do not exist will we cease to exist? No, we will continue to exist despite what God thinks.

#9 Guest_CoyoteMesc_*

Guest_CoyoteMesc_*

Posted 24 September 2006 - 08:32 PM

Let us create God in our own image.
He won't be able to prove we exist because he will be trapped in space-time (his reality) and we exist outside of his reality. Should we take pity on him and tell him that we exist or would he be inquisitive enough to find out for himself? Would he delude himself into thinking we exist if we are all a fiction? If he comes to the conclusion that we do not exist will we cease to exist? No, we will continue to exist despite what God thinks.

I thought something similar to that once, long ago when I was stoned...

just forgot to write it down...:eusa_thin

#10 Doctor D

Doctor D

(Not a real doctor)

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,258 posts

Donator

Posted 24 September 2006 - 08:59 PM

I think all religions should be banned because they put you out of touch with reality by making you believe in things which havent been proved. To survive, prosper and make good decisions, you need to know what the reality is. Religions generally create a fog of misperceptions which are a handicap in one's life.

What do you guys think of that?

I think it's a bunch of BS. As far as creating fogs of misperception, drugs do that just as much if not more than any religion does.

First of all, what criteria would you label as "religion" in order to ban a particular belief set? I could be labeled a 'buddhist'. We are taught to examine our minds in order to see truth. What part of that would you ban?

I know plenty of Christians who are not handicapped by their religion. They are some of the most honorable, dependable, likeable, and trustworthy people I know. Their morality is not much different from my own. In fact, most of the religions I understand have more similarities than differences. Is it the simple belief in a higher power that you have contention with?

I think we should ban contempt for other people's beliefs.

#11 chimp

chimp

Space Lord Modulator

• Expired Member
  • 5,911 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 09:01 PM

Agreed

#12 philemon

philemon

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 216 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 09:28 PM

Oh my god its so nice to be back. i havent posted anything in, i guess almost two years. i dunno. so anyway i was actually just thinking about this subject today.

I dont think ANYTHING should be be banned persay. well.. because obviously there are various substances we all think are pretty cool that are still banned.

but the thing is, religion is a barier that separates people from true personal spiritual experience.

its like "hey i went to a mountain and this is what 'god' said." .. "now you dont have to think, or go up any mountains or anything because i already did that for you. and if you dont mind you can keep me fed and clothed in fancy tunics and shit. and yeah.. uh. give me your wife while your giving me everything else. thanks. to bad god didnt choose you you sorry sap."

yeah religions great for the guys who start it. look at joseph smith. that guy got serious pussy. pardon my crudeness.. i havent said anything in years and now im all nasty. Hubbard too. he was way rich before he died. yes religion should be banned. absofuckinglutley. or maybe people should just smarten up.

oh ive got it!! mom says to dad: "what will we tell our children?" dad says:"i dunno" mom says: "lets be mormons"

if kids ask questions just ask them questions right back. "where do YOU think we came from" .... and stop asking dumb questions. I will be a wonderful father.

#13 philemon

philemon

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 216 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 09:34 PM

oh, one more thing. buddhism isnt a religion as far as im concerned. its just the way things are. real buddhists dont go around killing people. thats what illiminates them from the religion catagory. and im not just talking about extremist islam here. im talking about extreme catholics, prodistants, mormons, and everyone else.. extreme buddists just get more and more chill. I'm not buddist but i wish i was.

#14 Doctor D

Doctor D

(Not a real doctor)

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,258 posts

Donator

Posted 24 September 2006 - 09:41 PM

oh, one more thing. buddhism isnt a religion as far as im concerned. its just the way things are. real buddhists dont go around killing people. thats what illiminates them from the religion catagory. and im not just talking about extremist islam here. im talking about extreme catholics, prodistants, mormons, and everyone else.. extreme buddists just get more and more chill. I'm not buddist but i wish i was.

Unfortunately, people have killed in the name of the buddha as well. There are so many different sects of Buddhism that it happens quite often. Which kind of proves the point... "REAL" buddhists don't go around killing people, but neither do REAL Christians or REAL Muslims.

It's not the REAL religious people we have to worry about, but all the fakers out there trying to prove how zealous they really are.

#15 philemon

philemon

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 216 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 09:52 PM

im gonna start beating people up if they dont drink my ayahuasca!

#16 mycodutty

mycodutty

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 51 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 11:10 PM

First of all, my reason has nothing to do with violence or terrorism.

I think all religions should be banned

Do you live in the states? If so then you my friend are way out of line. You are talking about banning the very thing that created our country, religous freedom. I am actually astonished that anyone could be so close-minded, especially in this community. What gives you or anyone the right to tell me what I can and cannot believe in? Why don't we just make this country communist while we are at it? Why don't we ban the National Anthem too, and the pledge of alligance. You shouldn't have the right to be a patriot, it is un-american. You shouldn't have the right to tell your kids about santa claus. You shouldn't have the right to believe in the big bang, because it defies Christianity. This is the most narrow-minded post that I have ever witnessed. Ridiculous. :nana:

#17 mycodutty

mycodutty

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 51 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 11:20 PM

I think that they make people unnaccountable for their actions. Because of some higher purpose they feel justified in condemning others way of life or unwantingly asserting(for a lack of better words at the moment) their belief system upon others.

Have you ever read the bible? Have you heard of sin? Have you read the whole bit about not judging, or the "Let the who hath no sin cast the first stone" part?

I agree that there are some people out there that give Christains a bad name, but that doesn't meen that the religion is wrong, it just means that those people are wrong. I have met the kind of people that you are speaking of, the ones that condemn other people for the way that they choose to exercise their own free will. It is wrong to do that, and those people just don't get it.

#18 Donor

Donor

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 36 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 12:27 AM

Religion is for those who are afraid of going to hell, spirituality is for those who have been there and back...

#19 phalanx

phalanx

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 609 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 03:04 AM

I think we should ban contempt for other people's beliefs.

Christianity condemns me to hell and damnation for not having faith. That is contempt for MY beliefs as an atheist.

I think only scientifically proven facts should be allowed to be propagated. I have searched long and hard for a true religion and all I have found is BS. Religion isn't part of reality. It is all human fantasy and lies.

I think religions simply are a handicap to be outgrown.

#20 Pedestrian

Pedestrian

Dreamspace Transient

• Expired Member
  • 572 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 04:30 AM

The biggest problem in this world is that chuch and state are in bed with each other. So basically in our country, the government has control over our spirituality. Oh America has freedom of religion, that is the right religion(s). Everyone should totally have the right to believe in what they want to believe in. So... NO religion shouldn't be banned.

However I do hate the labels people give themselves "christian" "catholic" "muslim" "buddhist" etc it's so limiting. Then people start thinking that they are right and better etc. Another problem with religion is that people base their beliefs on books written by men ... not a force or what have you. Written by men why? for power and control. Not everything in these books are evil but to base all your beliefs completely on a book written by men is rediculous. The majority of the writings are made to put fear into peoples lives and manipulate and control them. Im mostly talking about the bible here because I was raised catholic and thats what i have the most knowledge of. The funny thing about the bible is that it was written by men "quoting" the words of jesus and these men didn't even know jesus.

Anyway... i went off on a tangent there but I just think people do need to be more open minded, and not close themselves so much into a religion that they believe in nothing else or even learn about anything else and ESPECIALLY stop being judging FUCKS. These books should be a guideline for general morals. Not to be taken literally like the churches and state do... Thats the problem.

IME the best way to go through life is being kind,loving,caring, and compassionate.

Just my two cents.

-Ped

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!