Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Rattail radish (Raphanus caudatus) great for bees!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 1,056 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 April 2021 - 01:34 PM

I have some rattail radish growing, it is an interesting plant where you harvest the seed pods instead of the radish. The seed pods when young have the texture of snow peas and taste like radish, heat and all. The plants can quickly overwhelm you with seed pods and once the reach a certain size become woody. If allowed to, it could become invasive pretty easy. I have sprouts popping up everywhere but they are easy to eradicate. In my zone 9, they are perennials. In early Spring, maybe a month before I noticed any dandelions, this plant was blooming and covered in bees! Unfortunately this particular plant is in an unfortunate spot, providing waaaaay to much afternoon shade for some nice fragrant fall blooms of mine. Thankfully this time of year, I have lots of other stuff blooming for the bees. It is hard to tell from the pictures but the plant is probably 10' wide and 10' tall, covered in blooms and seed pods. I cut a big chunk off last night and will probably cut some more this weekend. I dont want my flowers that are currently getting afternoon shade to get burnt.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20210327_110506.jpg
  • 20210327_110611-1.jpg
  • 20210327_110731-1.jpg

• Myc, bezevo, Moonless and 1 other like this

#2 Auhron

Auhron

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 306 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 April 2021 - 07:15 PM

I didn't realize that plant got quite so large. Impressive.  I saw a bee today, I felt bad for him because spring has been so cold here, and I have yet to see many flowers. Little guys just flying around beeing disappointed...

• YoshiTrainer likes this

#3 Mycol

Mycol

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 216 posts

Posted 07 April 2021 - 06:06 AM

Very cool Yosh. I just bought an empty Nuc/5 frame hive that I hope to occcupy with a swarm of I can get lucky and trap one . I’ve got a lot of bees buzzing around here . Currently they’re nailing my peach blossoms .

#4 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 1,056 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 April 2021 - 09:41 AM

Thanks guys!

Auhron, the first year, the plants don't get anywhere near this size, usually only around waist high. This plant is about 14 months old and a beast! Ill make sure another plant is allowed to grow elsewhere in the yard where it is not blocking my stuff.

Mycol, good luck! I've thought a lot about starting my own hive, I get a ton of bees in my yard. The only thing stopping me is memories of a nursery where they'd allowed a hive to start in a common area.....they lost use of one of their main buildings. So place your hive carefully! :)
  • Mycol likes this

#5 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 1,056 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 April 2021 - 05:49 PM

Finished pulling the plant today, turns out it is great for ladybugs too! Check out the root it left behind.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20210416_153828-1.jpg

• Moonless, Mycol and Auhron like this

#6 Moonless

Moonless

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 880 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 April 2021 - 12:48 PM

That's Big Chungus