• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MrSinister

MrSinister

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 April 2021 - 08:14 AM

Yo was just curious if anyone knows why a monotub would produce few but huge fruits? Thanks for the help in advance!

#2 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,548 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 April 2021 - 08:49 AM

There are so many factors that go into what is produced by a particular grow that it is hard to say. There is a fair chance that it was genetics. was this a grow from spore or from a culture that you had worked with in the past?

When you are growing from spore, there is HUGE potential for different genetic expression... with spores, you likely had more than one genetic combination colonizing your substrate. If one of those genetic combinations grow a more aggressive, larger mushroom, it could have monopolized available nutrients that kept other genetics from fruiting. There are also genetics that will colonize but not fruit at all but that's neither here nor there.

Large fruits are common in later flushes but it sounds like your tub was producing large fruits from the get...

#3 jrh

jrh

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 546 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 April 2021 - 08:50 AM

I think genetics can play a part. Also if your grain spawn was fully colonized, how evenly the spawn and bulk substrate were mixed in the tub, whether moisture in the sub and humidity was kept high enough for pinning, whether or not there was some underlying contamination that caused parts to either pin early or colonize slowly. I imagine you'll keep getting more pins if the humidity is high enough.

#4 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,548 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 April 2021 - 09:00 AM

I think genetics can play a part. Also if your grain spawn was fully colonized, how evenly the spawn and bulk substrate were mixed in the tub, whether moisture in the sub and humidity was kept high enough for pinning, whether or not there was some underlying contamination that caused parts to either pin early or colonize slowly. I imagine you'll keep getting more pins if the humidity is high enough.

Most of what I have personally seen is that contamination will cause smaller fruits to grow or will cause they entire tub to fruit prolifically with tons of tiny mushrooms prior to aborting.

• jrh likes this

#5 jrh

jrh

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 546 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 April 2021 - 09:54 AM

Thanks for the correction.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!