No replies to this topic

#1 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,589 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 April 2021 - 09:15 AM

As I continue to think about how best to take full advantage of the resources at the farm, I think I found a new avenue to follow. As many of you already know, we produced maple syrup this season. This was our first year making syrup and we realized that if we are going to do this long term, it would be best for us to thin the copse of maples so that the trees can be fully healthy. The farm had at one time served as a nursery with the trees planted in rows. These trees were intended to be sold and were planted in relative close proximity since they were not expected to reach maturity. The trees are now more than 40 years old and have suffered due to their close proximity. I intend to thin the herd, so to speak, and remove the trees struggling most. Since I will be removing maple trees, I think that some of them will be set aside to be later used for shiitake. I would like to inoculate some of the recently felled trees with oyster. I will then have the felled trees growing mushrooms, the living trees producing sap, and hopefully the same for the oaks as I prepare them for a possible truffle orchard (if they take). This is pretty exciting...

I think that this spring/summer I will cut down a portion of the maples that are suffering most. We just dropped the chainsaw off to be serviced so I should be rockin and rolling in a week or two. I am considering waiting to fell a portion of the maples until next season since it is my understanding that oysters will grow best if the trees are cut in a dormant season and immediately inoculated. This would mean that I would cut them just before they start to bud in the spring...

• YoshiTrainer and Mycol like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!