• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 livefrom215

livefrom215

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 07:49 AM

Hello I am new to the site and have so many questions!!! I have been able to fully colonize substrate but that is where my journey seems to end. I will post pics later of my current shoebox and would really appreciate some feedback. My first question is if I use the shoebox tek can I transfer the multiple fully colonized substrates to a monotub to fruit? I have a modified monotub with a computer fan and humidifier set up, is this overkill for first timers? I am also learning to be patient my very first run through I believe I tried to move to quickly and ruined the mycelium. My second attempt to placed 3 shoeboxes into the monotub but they all seemed to just peter out after a few days. I honestly think I over saturated them with my humidifier being on too long. Any suggestions, comments, whatever you can provide me with Ill appreciate. I am so overly excited to grow my own medicine I cant even begin to explain how much this means to me. Keep shining everyone!!! Oh, nice to meet everyone!!!!

Edited by Skywatcher, 08 April 2021 - 08:21 AM.

#2 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Walk's between...

• 7,690 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 April 2021 - 08:29 AM

Welcome to Mycotopia !

After you complete your first three posts here, we can move this over to the magic mushroom forum for you. You will get more replies there. I would suggest keeping your name more private my friend.....

#3 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,548 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 April 2021 - 08:31 AM

Hello Hombre!!

Have you colonized substrate or have you colonized spawn? Spawn would be grain alone. Once colonized, you would mix the spawn with a substrate that can include commonents like coco coir, straw, vermiculite, horse poo, etc... If you have colonized spawn, spawn does not fruit all that well on its own. Most people would take the colonized spawn and mix it with the substrate in the monotub but there is no reason why you couldnt put a few shoe boxes with colonized substrate into a larger tub to fruit.

If you have colonized a substrate after having first colonized your spawn, how long have you been waiting? There have been times when I have seen projects that appear to be fully colonized take a week or longer after what appears to be full colonization to fruit... PE, as an example, takes painfully long to start fruiting for me at times.

#4 BlueSkyCloud

BlueSkyCloud

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 09:16 AM

Hey friend. The fan and humidifier is deffo overkill for cubes however in no way useless.. Since you go it, use it. ;)
If you plan to case, my experience so far has shown that it's better to do so once the sub has 99% colonized or just touched 100%.. If you wait to much, mycelium will have switched away from vegatative mode and wont really grab the casing so it will rest like a blanket over it, just over saturating it and ruining your grows. You want some casing colonization to avoid this.

Over saturating your sub or surface will produce slow growing, stumpy and sickly looking mushrooms and if your evaporation isn't high enough to allow them to expell all the water, your flush will suffer. So field capacity and not overdoing misting/humidifier is important.

#5 livefrom215

livefrom215

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 09:23 AM

I have been able colonize my substrate. I have been using coco coir and sometimes I throw in some vermiculite. I waited atleast 10 days before attempting to fruit again Im not sure what im doing wrong. Ill post some pictures of my current grow later today when I get home. 

#6 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,548 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 April 2021 - 10:39 AM

I have been able colonize my substrate. I have been using coco coir and sometimes I throw in some vermiculite. I waited atleast 10 days before attempting to fruit again Im not sure what im doing wrong. Ill post some pictures of my current grow later today when I get home. 

First off, I don't really worry about introducing fruiting conditions. As soon as my spawn and substrate are mixed they are put directly into fruiting conditions. They will colonize just fine and will not fruit until all available substrate has been colonized. You would find it pretty damn impossible to induce fruiting prior to full colonization without putting the substrate through a lot of stress like a cold shock...

From the time you mix your spawn to the time you start to see your first pins, you are looking at approximately 2-3 weeks... It varies based on genetics but they will often look like they are ready to start fruiting and don't... I would suggest patience.

How long ago did you mix your spawn and substrate?

#7 livefrom215

livefrom215

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 10:48 AM

I mixed everything on March 27th. I have 10 shoebox made up all mixed between march 27th and april 1st. I was going to move the solo shoebox I had from the 27th into my FC I wasn't sure if it would be better to take the cake out of the shoebox and drop it into my monotub or should I leave it in the shoebox and flip the lid or simply place the shoebox into the monotub?

• Mycol likes this

#8 Mycol

Mycol

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 181 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 01:22 PM

Following

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!