144 replies to this topic

#101 el_ronhub_bird

el_ronhub_bird

Mycophiliac

• OG VIP
  • 690 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 May 2021 - 10:31 AM

Success! It hasn't completely dried but it's dry enough to see what we're working with. It looks like every other pic of mescaline I've ever come across online so I take it that's a good sign

So what I did to get to this point was to mix about 20 drops of 20% HCL with 100ml of distilled water. This was added to the xylene and shaken vigorously. At this point The mesc water ph tested at about 6. The layers were separated with the funnel and the water was placed in a dish in front of a fan to evaporate overnight. The second pull is currently separating in the funnel. And this is where everything stands at the moment.

Thanks again to everyone who has coached me along. I really appreciate it!

Attached Thumbnails

• 20210524_112131.jpg
  • 20210524_112140.jpg

Edited by el_ronhub_bird, 24 May 2021 - 11:04 AM.

• Phineas_Carmichael and greenskeeper like this

#102 el_ronhub_bird

el_ronhub_bird

Mycophiliac

• OG VIP
  • 690 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 May 2021 - 01:16 PM

I've gotta couple questions at this point - I've got my xylene separated and ready for the second pull. Should I use the same amount of HCL in my water solution as I did for the first pull? And secondly, can I use the same xylene for all of the pulls or should I use fresh xylene at some point? Thanks again guys!

Edited by el_ronhub_bird, 24 May 2021 - 01:17 PM.

• greenskeeper likes this

#103 greenskeeper

greenskeeper

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 161 posts

Posted 24 May 2021 - 02:04 PM

That looks great, nice work :)

I usually reduce the HCl amount by about 25% each time - it's guess work. I can't explain why I got more from my second pull than the first pull; that's not what I expected.

You can always add a few more drops after checking the pH.

You can re-use the xylene.

• Phineas_Carmichael likes this

#104 el_ronhub_bird

el_ronhub_bird

Mycophiliac

• OG VIP
  • 690 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 May 2021 - 03:13 PM

Thanks a lot greenskeeper! Between your mescaline thread and commenting on this one, your help has been indispensable! I couldn't have done this without you man! Thanks bro, i appreciate you

#105 greenskeeper

greenskeeper

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 161 posts

Posted 24 May 2021 - 03:46 PM

Hey man it's a real pleasure to help - feels good to be useful

That makes my day :biggrin:

#106 Phineas_Carmichael

Phineas_Carmichael

Hooloovoo

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,064 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 May 2021 - 03:56 PM

Looking good! Party at Bird's house real soon!!!

#107 el_ronhub_bird

el_ronhub_bird

Mycophiliac

• OG VIP
  • 690 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 May 2021 - 04:22 PM

First pull totals nearly a gram. Hopefully I'll be able to get 3 more grams out of it. I wasn't planning to try this stuff til later in this summer but now that I have it in my hands I'm tempted to try out a light dose tomorrow lol thanks again guys I'm totally stoked!

Attached Thumbnails

• 20210524_145514.jpg
  • 20210524_163957.jpg
  • 20210524_164450.jpg

• Phineas_Carmichael, bezevo, adrian118 and 2 others like this

#108 Phineas_Carmichael

Phineas_Carmichael

Hooloovoo

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,064 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 May 2021 - 04:43 PM

Damn! That's some good looking product right off the throw. I seldom see mescaline HCl that clean even after an ice-cold acetone wash!

I tip my hat to you, friend. Very, very well done indeed. Enjoy your taste test tomorrow lol

#109 el_ronhub_bird

el_ronhub_bird

Mycophiliac

• OG VIP
  • 690 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 May 2021 - 05:07 PM

Damn! That's some good looking product right off the throw. I seldom see mescaline HCl that clean even after an ice-cold acetone wash!

I tip my hat to you, friend. Very, very well done indeed. Enjoy your taste test tomorrow lol

You helped me do this so thank you! I was gonna just throw it in with the next pull but it looks so clean I decided to keep it separate! Of course this is the first time I've ever seen mescaline irl but compared to pics I've seen on line it looks pretty clean. It's an off white, very light yellow color. I can tell just by the color of the water of the second pull that it's gonna be much dirtier.

Thanks for the praise guys but I don't have time to gloat, I'm not to the finish line yet. I've still gotta bit of mescaline to retrieve! And another thing is I credit the quality to the starting material; quality in, quality out as with any extraction.

#110 el_ronhub_bird

el_ronhub_bird

Mycophiliac

• OG VIP
  • 690 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 May 2021 - 11:01 AM

2nd pull. I've gotta question; so when I shake the HCL water with the xylene, am I supposed to aim to have the water slightly acidic? And the number of drops of HCL needed to achieve this will vary depending on how much mescaline is present? From what I understand, the HCL and mescaline freebase combine and create mescaline hydrochloride salt, correct? Sorry guys, I'm a chemistry noob. I never took chem in high school cause I dropped out. Although I did do very well in the organic chem 101 course that I took

Attached Thumbnails

• 20210526_115106.jpg

Edited by el_ronhub_bird, 26 May 2021 - 11:02 AM.

• YoshiTrainer and greenskeeper like this

#111 el_ronhub_bird

el_ronhub_bird

Mycophiliac

• OG VIP
  • 690 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 May 2021 - 01:43 PM

I can't express how big of a compliment this is coming from you! Thanks man!

#112 Phineas_Carmichael

Phineas_Carmichael

Hooloovoo

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,064 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 May 2021 - 06:02 PM

2nd pull. I've gotta question; so when I shake the HCL water with the xylene, am I supposed to aim to have the water slightly acidic? And the number of drops of HCL needed to achieve this will vary depending on how much mescaline is present? From what I understand, the HCL and mescaline freebase combine and create mescaline hydrochloride salt, correct? Sorry guys, I'm a chemistry noob. I never took chem in high school cause I dropped out. Although I did do very well in the organic chem 101 course that I took

You want your the pH of your salting solution to be 4 lower than mescaline's pKa of 9.5, so around 5.5. Most people shoot for between 4-5 from what I recall. Lower pH tends to yield browner product as other compounds with lower pKas are salted out

As that acid reacts (I can draw this reaction for you if you want) with the mescaline freebase to form the salt it will no longer be present in the water in the way that pH meters & indicators detect, so the pH of your solution will go up. Yes, the amount of acid needed to react all the mescaline will vary based on the amount present, so what some people do is measure the pH of the acid layer after salting. If the pH is 7 or lower, they evaporate to attain the salt. If the pH is higher than 7 they add another couple drops of acid, mix the solutions, and measure again.

Never apologize for asking questions. Getting them answered is how we learn, and getting them answered on the open boards helps other people learn too! Did all that rambling up there make sense? [EDIT]That's some more good looking 2nd pull product too. Definitely back off on the acid a little bit for the 3rd & see what you get. [/EDIT]

Edited by Phineas_Carmichael, 26 May 2021 - 06:03 PM.

#113 greenskeeper

greenskeeper

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 161 posts

Posted 26 May 2021 - 08:28 PM

2nd pull. I've gotta question; so when I shake the HCL water with the xylene, am I supposed to aim to have the water slightly acidic? And the number of drops of HCL needed to achieve this will vary depending on how much mescaline is present? From what I understand, the HCL and mescaline freebase combine and create mescaline hydrochloride salt, correct?

Short answers: yes, yes, and yes :)

Slightly acidic because that pH is high enough to get a fairly clean mescaline salt solution and low enough to put a lot of the mescaline into salt form.

The amount of HCl required to achieve that pH varies with the amount of mescaline present, but it also depends on how much water there is. It's easier to use titration (progressive estimation) than calculation to find the right amount of HCl to use.

• Phineas_Carmichael likes this

#114 el_ronhub_bird

el_ronhub_bird

Mycophiliac

• OG VIP
  • 690 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 May 2021 - 01:18 PM

@Phineas I've been doing a pull a day so the 4th pull is already drying but I'll back off (even more) on the added acid for my pull today.

#115 el_ronhub_bird

el_ronhub_bird

Mycophiliac

• OG VIP
  • 690 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 May 2021 - 01:21 PM

3rd pull. So far each pull is a little more brown than the last and more of this plasticy, waxy consistency

Edit: 2.963 grams of unwashed mescaline has been extracted so far

Attached Thumbnails

• 20210527_140750.jpg
  • 20210527_140723.jpg

Edited by el_ronhub_bird, 27 May 2021 - 02:18 PM.

#116 greenskeeper

greenskeeper

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 161 posts

Posted 27 May 2021 - 02:46 PM

Regarding acetone wash: If you're planning to use a baster tube and cotton balls for filtering like I did - I had problems with clogging and overflowing when I put more than 2g of dirty mescaline salt in at once. I suspect a wider tube would fix that.

#117 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 4,498 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 May 2021 - 04:51 PM

Sorry to ask if you already know but do you know that you need to "dry" out the acetone before using it to clean your crystals?

For those who don't know..... the crystals are not soluable in acetone but the crud you want to wash away is.

The trouble is that acetone may contain water, and your mesc crystals are wonderfully soluable in water, so the water has to GO.

Put your acetone in a glass jar with a good seal and stick it in the freezer for a few hours. Take the jar out and you may see a layer of ice and a layer of acetone. Pour the acetone away from the ice and store it labeled and seperate until using it for your purifying rinse.

I learned this from Norman 18 short years ago..........

Edited by pharmer, 27 May 2021 - 04:52 PM.

#118 el_ronhub_bird

el_ronhub_bird

Mycophiliac

• OG VIP
  • 690 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 May 2021 - 02:40 PM

4th pull is this little glob. 5th pull is drying and I think I'll do my 6th and possibly last pull tomorrow. I know I said I wanna keep the first, clean pull separate but I'll probably dissolve all of the pulls to homogenize it then dry it and clean it up.

@Pharmer my acetone is laboratory grade but it's not labeled "anhydrous" so I'll definitely be freezing it to check for water. Thanks for the heads-up

Attached Thumbnails

• 20210529_153049.jpg

#119 Norman

Norman

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,030 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 May 2021 - 04:46 PM

I learned this from Norman 18 short years ago..........

God damn were old.
Norman learned this from a guy who installs hot tubs, so if you want to be extra careful with your hard worked for product you might want to take the time to dry your acetone with Epsom salts that have been baked to drive off any moisture.
  • YoshiTrainer likes this

#120 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 1,501 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 May 2021 - 05:05 PM

Should a fresh can of painter's acetone be dried w/epsom salts first?

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!