• Please log in to reply
467 replies to this topic

#21 Ringo

Ringo

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 305 posts

Posted 16 April 2021 - 06:33 PM

Huh.  I've never had the substrate settle that much.  Usually I'll gently put the substrate into the jars up to the bottom of the threads and tap the jar on the counter so it's level and settles a little, to where I want it to be.  Once I've wiped the inside of the rim with a dry paper towel, I add dry vermiculite up a little ways past the top of the jar, so it gets just a bit compacted when I screw on the lid.  How does that compare to what you did?

That's exactly what I did. Even down to leaving it a tiny bit of the dry stuff mounded before placing the lid on top. Go figure. Next time I'll use the medium vermiculite. Maybe that made it settle more.

Either way, with 10 jars I'm hoping to see some white in my near future.

Thanks again for all the replies and all the help. I owe ya'll a beer. LOL

Ringo

Edited by Ringo, 16 April 2021 - 06:37 PM.

• Sidestreet and jrh like this

#22 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 658 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 April 2021 - 07:46 PM

Those brf jars are gonna be a bit longer than 10 days to colonize. Your a little bit warmer than my house but mine took like 5 weeks. Just to warn ya. Its really hard to wait for those first ones
  • Ringo likes this

#23 Ringo

Ringo

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 305 posts

Posted 16 April 2021 - 07:59 PM

Wow, really? Is it because it's too cold? I can give them any environment they want. I recall reading 2 weeks and then wait a few more days. Thanks for telling me. I would have been freaking out waiting.

#24 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 658 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 April 2021 - 08:00 PM

Sorry. Musta got high and double posted

Edited by Oldpunk, 16 April 2021 - 08:01 PM.

• Ringo likes this

#25 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 658 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 April 2021 - 08:06 PM

Yeah for the jars to colonize it takes a good while. And then you wanna wait 10 days after they're all white to....what do they call it. Damn stoner. Can't remember.

But anyway. Like 5 weeks. And then 10 days to make sure their settled well (can't think of the proper lingo ringo). And then put them in your tubs and impatiently wait some more for the first pins.
  • Ringo likes this

#26 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 658 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 April 2021 - 08:10 PM

Consolidate. That's the term. The cakes will shrink a little and pull away from the glass. That's when they're ready.

Hate to burst your bubble. I got to try my first homegrown shrooms this winter, but it was a full month past my initial expectations

But still totally worth it

Edited by Oldpunk, 16 April 2021 - 08:11 PM.

• Ringo likes this

#27 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

Digging for Rainbows

• App Administrator
  • 9,088 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 April 2021 - 03:25 AM

Two to three weeks from spore at room temp should be all you have to wait for half pints.  Oldpunk, we'll have to figure out why you had to wait so long.  Did you use 1/2 cup verm, 1/4 cup brf, 1/4 cup water?

#28 Ringo

Ringo

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 305 posts

Posted 17 April 2021 - 09:17 AM

So far, I can see that I did 2 things wrong. I don't mind making mistakes. As long as I don't make the same one twice. LOL

First, I didn't pack the jars well enough. Everything I read said to lightly pack it or 'loose fill' or some other term so I went overboard and didn't pack it enough. Just a couple firm taps on my palm with the bottom of the jar should do it. I want to keep the dry layer only about a 1/2 inch and keep it at the lid. Or, get a longer needle because if the dry layer is over a 1/2" and it settles a little I had trouble getting the needle into the cake area.

The other thing is that I need to put another spacer in the bottom of my pressure cooker. The one that came with it is only about a 1/2" and with the 3 quarts of water that the PC maker recommends, the jars were damn near half covered. So, when the water boiled and steamed, it bounced the jars around (which caused the settling). There were also drops of water on all the jar lids under the foil. So, this time I plan to place a layer of jar rings down. And, then put the rack on top of that. Hopefully, that will keep the jars almost completely out of the water.

Other than those 2 things (so far) I'll run the same MO the second time. I just ordered 2 more spore syringes and another case of jars.

When I looked at them today, I noticed the dry layer was all uneven on most of them so I 'twisted' them around, back and forth (think washing machine) to even the dry layer. I am tempted to open them all up and add dry verm. If I did that, would the verm have to be sterilized first?

I may also try to pick up some less fine verm.

Thanks again for everything.

Ringo

Edited by Ringo, 17 April 2021 - 09:21 AM.

#29 Ringo

Ringo

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 305 posts

Posted 19 April 2021 - 01:28 PM

OK, I give up. It's been 3 days already and I don't have a single mushroom. LOL j/k

I did pull them out today and look at them. The cakes look dry but it's hard to tell from outside the jar. I did 2:1:1 like all the tuts said (and it was field dry?? Is that the term). So, I guess everything should be OK. I am a hurry-up-and-wait kind of guy. LOL

No fuzz yet but I see a 'slime' line between the cake and the dry vermiculite on a few of the jars. Not sure if that's bacteria or mycelium forming. No smell from the holes so I put them back in the tote for a few more days.

slime.jpg

I can see how growing shrooms is going to be very therapeutic. My OCD makes me want to check them every 5 seconds. My AADD makes me bored as soon as I check them. And, my bi-polar makes me angry that there's no shrooms yet. That doesn't really cover all my issues but it should be a fun routine for a while.

Really getting excited for my first trip. Thanks to all for being here and making it all happen for me.

Edited by Ringo, 19 April 2021 - 01:30 PM.

#30 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 658 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 April 2021 - 05:13 PM

Hahahahaha!
I like the cut of your jib.

You remind me of me ringo.
Cept I like you more than me.

Keep those jars going and see what happens. But if you ordered more spores then maybe change up your process like you're talking. Maybe wait just a little in case these jars do work out. That way you'll have a window for the first ones to finish growing before the next ones are ready. Otherwise your gonna go out, buy more totes and end up having 27 different fruiting chambers and then feel overwhelmed in that direction cuz your grow space will be full and cluttered.

Hypothetically of course. (Insert somewhat embarrassed emoji here).

My first 2 batches didn't go well. On the third strain of spores I did pack the top of my brf jar slightly to make a firm and flat top layer, wiped the rim with alcohol and added my verm. Pretty sure I did 1/2-1/4-1/4. And it was January February so my closet was only mid or low 60s for temp. I did have the holes taped up and lids on right so that may have prolonged the process.
I made that 3rd batch about a month after the first two and the jars seemed to colonize much better and I've harvested over 2 ounces from them so far. Not even bothering with 2nd flush.
I just ordered more spores and started them last week. I said I wouldn't. But my childish impatience (and also probably a few mental disorders) said I wanted more.

So food for thought Ringo. This time I made up some liquid culture jars and squirted a ml of each spore syringe in so if I screw up my jars I will have backup to try again without buying more. Super easy to do now that I got me a fancy fandangled pressure cooker. And each of those LC jars will start up to 100 brf cake jars or grain jars. I just looked and 4 days later the liquid culture is starting in on the grains.

20210419_170227.jpg

Im convinced the LC was a good backup idea as a beginner.
1 tbsp corn syrup
1/2 cup water

PC 30 min

I used 1/4 pint jelly jars. And have enough on the shelf to do 1000 jars. Totally overkill. But I'm not gonna run out any time soon no matter how many jars I mess up20210419_170227.jpg
  • Ringo likes this

#31 drmcnasty

drmcnasty

Resident Pervert

• OG VIP
  • 1,173 posts

Donator

Posted 19 April 2021 - 06:58 PM

Ringo you have keep in mind that the main vector for contamination is YOU. Try to keep the handling to a minimum. I like to put all of my inoculated jars grouped together by strain and date with one jar from each batch where I can keep an eye on it while leaving the rest alone to do what they do. This hobby is a lesson in patience. Don't get discouraged.
  • Ringo likes this

#32 PaceArrow

PaceArrow

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 89 posts

Posted 20 April 2021 - 11:21 PM

Best of good fortune to you on your first grow, Ringo! I hope it is successful and brings you all the healing you desire. 

#33 Ringo

Ringo

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 305 posts

Posted 21 April 2021 - 08:04 AM

Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait.

Well, the bacterial is growing nicely. I wonder if I should remove these 2 or 3 jars that look like bacteria and put them somewhere else. Or, is everything pretty segregated at this point? I don't know if stuff can pass from jar to jar at this point.

I do see some spots in the other jars that look a little fuzzy. I am hoping that's the beginning of mycelium.

OK, I will go back and wait wait wait some more. LOL

Peace

#34 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 658 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 April 2021 - 08:28 AM

Yeah there's a lot of waiting and anticipating.

Everyone here likes to remind that mushrooms will teach you patience. Which is great for later. But what about right now?

That little bit of fuzzy should turn solid white and start spreading......very slowly. It's hard to wait for the 1st time. I got impatient and opened a couple early.

The ones that I didn't rush worked out WAY better. It's like that saying "a watched pot never boils" but it's really hard to not watch the pot when your hungry.

Hang in there
  • FLASHINGROOSTER and Ringo like this

#35 Ringo

Ringo

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 305 posts

Posted 21 April 2021 - 09:04 AM

Having been a pot grower for 50 years, you would think I know patience. LOL Seed to smoke is about 20 weeks and I have waited through that about a hundred times. LOL

Actually, I was getting ready to move across country when the Corona party started and I got grounded. Planning to leave as soon as the party is over so I didn't really have time for a pot grow. And, mushrooms sounded like the perfect fit for the few months I have before moving.

My standard MO would be to go 400% into it and have a clean room, a mycelium growth room, a shroom grow room and a drying and processing room. In a year my house would have more mushrooms than the enchanted forest. LMAO Fortunately, my knowledge that I am moving very soon is holding it all back (thanks goodness). LOL

Thanks again to everyone here at the forum for helping me get started and answering all my questions. Great place.

You think I should remove those few jars with bacteria?

#36 drmcnasty

drmcnasty

Resident Pervert

• OG VIP
  • 1,173 posts

Donator

Posted 21 April 2021 - 05:16 PM

If it looks like slime I would toss it.

#37 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

Digging for Rainbows

• App Administrator
  • 9,088 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 April 2021 - 05:09 AM

If you post some pictures, we can tell you what's in your jars...

#38 Ringo

Ringo

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 305 posts

Posted 22 April 2021 - 08:27 AM

WOW!!! Everything exploded overnight. White everywhere. I am going to take some pics and post them as soon as I have had my 4/4 for breakfast (4 joints and 4 cups of coffee). Once the pain and anxiety roll back a little I'll post some pics. Most of it does not look good. Might be the white spidery stuff. Some round spots. That might be good. Excited.

#39 Ringo

Ringo

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 305 posts

Posted 22 April 2021 - 09:37 AM

Here are some pics. Thanks very much for your perusal. ;)

Attached Thumbnails

• 1.jpg
  • 2.jpg
  • 3.jpg
  • 4.jpg
  • 5.jpg
  • 6.jpg
  • 7.jpg
  • 8.jpg
  • 9.jpg

Edited by Ringo, 22 April 2021 - 09:39 AM.

#40 Ringo

Ringo

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 305 posts

Posted 23 April 2021 - 09:21 AM

WOW!! These things sure took off overnight. Unless this is all mold, the stuff is colonizing very quickly. Out of 10 jars only the 2 jars that I suspect as having bacteria are not colonizing. I will probably remove those tomorrow if there is no improvement. They are the last 2 jars in the pics below.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1.jpg
  • 2.jpg
  • 3.jpg
  • 4.jpg
  • 5.jpg
  • 6.jpg
  • 7.jpg
  • 8.jpg
  • 9.jpg
  • 10.jpg

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!