462 replies to this topic

#41 drmcnasty

drmcnasty

Resident Pervert

• OG VIP
  • 1,173 posts

Donator

Posted 23 April 2021 - 09:46 AM

Those shots look good. Definitely better lighting in those shots. I'm not seeing anything to be concerned about.
  • Ringo likes this

#42 Ringo

Ringo

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 302 posts

Posted 23 April 2021 - 10:00 AM

Thank you. Do you think those last 2 look OK as well? They both have a little slime where the dry verm meets the wet, I am assuming that is bacteria.

It also appears that the jars are all drying up a little. I guess that is to be expected since there are holes in the lids.. Just the verm along the edge of the glass is looking like it's drying out just a little.

Oh boy, Oh boy. Won't be long, now.   :)

#43 drmcnasty

drmcnasty

Resident Pervert

• OG VIP
  • 1,173 posts

Donator

Posted 23 April 2021 - 12:04 PM

The last two aren't looking too good but the rest look like they are moving along nicely
  • Ringo likes this

#44 Ringo

Ringo

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 302 posts

Posted 23 April 2021 - 03:19 PM

Cool, thanks.

Tomorrow, if there is no improvement, I may remove those 2.

Thanks again.

#45 Ringo

Ringo

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 302 posts

Posted 25 April 2021 - 09:43 AM

Well, 2 days later and everything looks the same. No real noticeable growth. Maybe a little.

I hope I am not stunting growth by removing them once per day and taking them over to the window to look at them through my
opti-visor.

I did remove 3 that looked a little slimy and put them in a separate tote. I'll take some new pics in a few days and see if I can compare growth.

Peace

#46 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 657 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 April 2021 - 10:04 AM

YOU BROUGHT THEM BY THE WINDOW?????

Oh no..... What have you done?

Nah they'll be fine as long as you don't open them. Its a slow process And its worse when it's the first time and you're overly excited for your first home grown treats. Honestly I've been checking mine I started for my 2nd grow everyday too. Doesn't help I'm stuck at home and bored.
  • Ringo likes this

#47 Ringo

Ringo

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 302 posts

Posted 25 April 2021 - 02:01 PM

OK, no fair making fun of the noob. LOL j/k

I am trying to convince myself to put them away until the end of the month and not look at them until then. However, that will never happen. LOL It's all I can do to only look at them once per day. LOL

I have 2 more varieties (spore syringes) coming tomorrow so I am going to start 20 more jars. Might experiment a little. I was thinking about wetting the jar and dusting it with the BRF before filling it with the mix of BRF and verm.. Essentially, putting an easy access layer of pure food right on the outside surface for the fungi to eat.

I also have several different sizes and shapes of jar, although I don't think that will make all that much difference.

I saw a laundry basket that would seem to be an already make shotgun fruiting chamber. It is plastic like the totes except it already had holes (slits actually) all around the sides. All I need to do is drill the bottom and make a top.

I have a few other ideas but I want to search them before I mention them to make sure they are not really, really stupid. LOL Like, filling the totes with CO2 during colonization and/or fruiting. I have done a zillion experiments with pot over the past 50 years and had some pretty amazing results, including, completely maturing a plant with only a 4 week flowering cycle (by changing the Circadian Cycle). Although, that should not be a variable with shrooms since shrooms are not photosensitive like cannabis (I don't think).

Lots of great ideas but since I am moving soon, I am afraid my mycology lab is going to have to wait. LOL Probably a good thing. If I start doing shrooms like I do pot, I'll never get out of here. LOL I do plan to turn one of my grow tents into a "min lab".

Thanks so much to everyone.

Peace

EDIT: Oops, so much for the CO2 idea. LOL.....

Just like humans, mushrooms breathe oxygen. For this reason, they require constant fresh air exchange to grow properly. Low levels of carbon dioxide are a signal for the mycelium to start producing fruiting bodies. If the carbon dioxide levels are too high, this will skew fruiting body growth by producing long stems and small caps.

Edited by Ringo, 25 April 2021 - 02:55 PM.

#48 Ringo

Ringo

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 302 posts

Posted 25 April 2021 - 04:03 PM

I still have 3 jars that have, what I believe to be, bacteria. Some kind of slimy looking ring in a thin line all the way around the jars. The slime seems to be growing on the glass while the mycelium grows on the cake right "behind" it. It's kind of hard to see on the pics.

I have these 3 in a separate tote and I am watching them to see what happens.

I notice the second stage mycelium (I forget what that's called) is actually reaching for the top of the jar towards the dry verm.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

Edited by Ringo, 25 April 2021 - 04:03 PM.

#49 Ringo

Ringo

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 302 posts

Posted 28 April 2021 - 07:23 AM

Do these work? They are rubber injection ports.

https://www.amazon.c...n/dp/B07H7JPRHJ

51SSkbIQP6L._AC_SL1105_.jpg

#50 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 657 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 April 2021 - 09:34 AM

Huh. I been wondering where to get those. I saw those on a lid example by jrh and they looked handy.
  • Ringo likes this

#51 Ringo

Ringo

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 302 posts

Posted 29 April 2021 - 06:21 PM

Wow, talk about a snail race. LOL It has been 2 weeks. I have definitely had some colonization but I look like I am still a long ways from birthing.

And, the last 3 still look like bacteria but it is not spreading.

Also, my cakes look like they are drying out. I am at 75F and about 35% humidity. Can I spray the walls of my tote to increase the humidity?

1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg   4.jpg   5.jpg  

6.jpg   7.jpg   8.jpg   9.jpg   10.jpg

#52 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 657 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 April 2021 - 10:44 PM

When they look like they're drying and shrinking a bit they're almost ready!!#! That's the consolidating stage. Give em a few more days. I'm gonna look closer at the pics but they settled at first right? That verm on the top is supposed to stay dry

Definitely toss those last ones. Wear a mask if you dump them. That stuff is nasty to breathe

Edited by Oldpunk, 29 April 2021 - 10:47 PM.

• Ringo likes this

#53 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

Digging for Rainbows

• App Administrator
  • 9,087 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 April 2021 - 04:02 AM

You can try flipping them over to see if it helps them finish (heh).  If they stall out completely you can just call it, birth them, and gently rub off (heh heh) the uncolonized substrate with clean hands under cold running water.  If you'll fruit them as cakes, be sure to dunk them first to rehydrate them.

• rockyfungus and Ringo like this

#54 Ringo

Ringo

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 302 posts

Posted 30 April 2021 - 07:20 AM

Thanks, as always, guys.

@OldPunk Yeah, they settled while in the PC. But I could see the dry layer on top spreading (just based upon the color of the verm).  Perhaps that was just the surface layer of verm around the jar and the cake is still moist inside.

Also, I don't smell anything coming through the holes on the 3 that I suspect of bacteria. From what I read, it is a nasty "sour feet" smell. I definitely don't smell that from any of those 3 jars. I am going to open one and see if I can smell it then.

@Sidestreet. I may flip one jar just to experiment. I am going to TRY to let them go one more week. Patience is NOT one of my virtues, but I'll try. LOL

I have a suggestion for newbies. Instead of using the 16oz jars, what about using 8 oz jars instead? I know it would cut back on yield but if it makes the cakes finish colonizing faster, it would be great for noobs. At least in my case, I would rather have a faster crop and less yield. Not always. But, for the first time, I assume all noobs have a certain amount of impatience. I have some 8 oz jars I a going to use next time. Just to see if it does go faster. EDIT: Oops, I meant to say to use 4 ounce jars instead of 8 ounce jars.

Thanks again for the help, guys.

Peace

Edited by Ringo, 30 April 2021 - 07:50 AM.

• rockyfungus likes this

#55 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 30 April 2021 - 07:29 AM

I wouldn't open any jars that are questionable, better to just let 'em wait and see what happens. If it fully colonizes go spawn it even if it smells a little off, just isolate from rest. Bacterial spawn can still produce some crazy flushes just want to watch it and make sure it's not getting too nasty. 

I suck at measurements, but isn't 8oz a 1/2 pint? That's the recommended size I thought. Those taller jars can be a bit of a pain in the ass till you get your procedure and feel for how much inoculant you need. 

• Ringo likes this

#56 Ringo

Ringo

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 302 posts

Posted 30 April 2021 - 07:53 AM

I wouldn't open any jars that are questionable, better to just let 'em wait and see what happens. If it fully colonizes go spawn it even if it smells a little off, just isolate from rest. Bacterial spawn can still produce some crazy flushes just want to watch it and make sure it's not getting too nasty. 

I suck at measurements, but isn't 8oz a 1/2 pint? That's the recommended size I thought. Those taller jars can be a bit of a pain in the ass till you get your procedure and feel for how much inoculant you need. 

Oops, I edited my post above to say 4 ounce instead of 8 ounce. The 8 ounce SHORT jars are impossible to find. In 8 oz, I could only find the tall jars. They are still shoulderless but they are tall and thin instead of short and fat. The only short and fat I could find were 4 ounce.

I will hold off opening any jars. Thanks

• Sidestreet likes this

#57 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 30 April 2021 - 07:55 AM

https://www.amazon.c...e/dp/B0000BYD0F

Not these exactly, but that's the shape I prefer. I have some of those tall skinny guys but they can be a pain in the ass. My actual pint jars I probably only fill to 3/4 of the way too. 

Damn algorithm offering me verm, gypsum, BRF...

Edited by rockyfungus, 30 April 2021 - 07:57 AM.

• Ringo likes this

#58 Ringo

Ringo

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 302 posts

Posted 30 April 2021 - 09:34 AM

I saw those but I could not bring myself to spend $40 on a case if jars that I bought at Target for 8 dollars. Some sellers on Amazon just sit around and wait to hit a home run. If the skinny ones really don't work, I'll get off my wallet but I have 4 cases of the tall skinny and a case of the 4oz also. LOL Thanks

#59 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 657 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 April 2021 - 10:03 AM

I bought some jars this winter too and the stupid pandemic shortages made finding the short wide mouths difficult. After hoarding toilet paper people musta decided to grow shrooms.

Give those a few more days to a week and then dunk them suckers and then wait some more. But it's the final waiting.
  • Ringo likes this

#60 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

Digging for Rainbows

• App Administrator
  • 9,087 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 April 2021 - 02:21 PM

The 8 ounce SHORT jars are impossible to find.

I've had a hard time finding these too, over the years.  Make sure to grab what you can when you do see them.  I really like the wide mouth (short) 8 oz half-pints because the cakes can be stacked:

IMG_1231.JPG

I wouldn't do the 4 oz jelly jars because there's so little substrate there... I suppose if I were going to break them all up and spawn them to bulk...

• Ringo likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!