Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Finally acquired all the mutant genetics i want to spread to Mycotopia!

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 ChocolateStarfish

ChocolateStarfish

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 267 posts

Posted 12 April 2021 - 01:42 PM

So after spending way too much time on reddit searching for and buying all of the mutated genetics and hybrids of mutated genetics that I could find, I almost have a complete collection. Of course, now that the mycological community has seemingly made it common knowledge of how to make hybrid cubensis strains, there will constantly be new interesting hybrid strains coming out every once in a while. i currently have the following

Jack Frost  -  hybrid - True Albino Teacher/Albino Penis Envy

True Albino Teacher   -   Albino variant of Golden Teachers

Melmac    -   supposedly what Penis Envy was isolated from, looks like large healthy penis envy fruits that open a tad more

Albino Melmac   -    true albino variant of melmac

Ghost   -   A mutation of True Albino Teacher that looks just like an true albino penis envy

Yeti      -   A mutation of True Albino Teacher that produces giant albino penis envy looking fruits

Smurf - hybrid  -  True Albino Teacher/Albino Penis Envy

Avery's Albino   -    Supposedly a true albino variant of the Columbian strain

KAPE  -  hybrid  -   Albino Penis Envy/Koh Samui Super Strain

Albino Penis Envy  -   Penis Envy/Albino PF Classic

Penis Envy Uncut  -   Penis Envy/Albino PF Classic

I also have a leucistic Golden Teacher variant, and I have been thinking about getting a leucistic penis envy uncut variant, that sounds really interesting to me..  I am now just in need of Pearly Gates and MVP and from there I can probably say I am done. I have just put all of those to agar, I had done this earlier, but had mad some crappy agar jars, so i went and bought a bunch of petri dishes and made some traditional agar plates and i have those germinating now. I am just going to grow all of these strains at once so I can compare them and so I can get some epic pictures for you guys. I am doing this mostly to get swabs, and to end my search for the most potent strain of cubensis out there. I am assuming after I do this grow, and try a 2 gram dose of each strain, I should know for sure which is which. So here in about 2 to 3 months, I should have enough swabs for you guys to all get a swab of whatever strain or strains you are interested in.

Edited by ChocolateStarfish, 12 April 2021 - 01:51 PM.

• sandman, fahtster, Skywatcher and 13 others like this

#2 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

Digging for Rainbows

• App Administrator
  • 9,087 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 April 2021 - 05:09 PM

That sounds awesome, but don't bite off more than you can chew!  That sounds like a BIG project, starting 11 varieties on agar all at once.  I hope you have a lot of free time. 

::ChocolateStarfish proceeds to cram Sidestreet's own words down his throat::

• sandman and ChocolateStarfish like this

#3 Auhron

Auhron

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 306 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 April 2021 - 05:11 PM

Looks like a big project! I look forward to updates on your success!

• sandman and ChocolateStarfish like this

#4 ChocolateStarfish

ChocolateStarfish

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 267 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 12:21 AM

That sounds awesome, but don't bite off more than you can chew!  That sounds like a BIG project, starting 11 varieties on agar all at once.  I hope you have a lot of free time. 

::ChocolateStarfish proceeds to cram Sidestreet's own words down his throat::

Well, tbh, I am only doing a small grow of most of these. The majority of these I am just growing out to get a clone stashed away of each variant, so I am growing most of them in small pans, and only the ones I am super excited about are getting large spaces to fruit in. I have Enigma colonizing right now, and that is one that I am going to give A LOT of space to fruit, cuz I am so excited about it. I will also probably give Melmac and Jack Frost a decent amounts of area to fruit in, but all the rest will be on equal playing fields when it comes to having limited fruiting space.

And I do have a lot of free time, my mycological endeavors and recording music are my full time jobs at the moment, so I am going all in. I am working on being a vendor on reddit cuz the guys on there make bomb money selling pre-made substrate, or grain-spawn, or spores, and I literally do all of those, and my brother has 3 horses, so i have an infinite amount of horse, as well as cow, manure to make substrate from, so now im just working on getting to be a trusted vendor,,, even though there "trusted vendors" are still sketchy when it comes to reddit lol.

• sandman, Sidestreet, bezevo and 2 others like this

#5 sandman

sandman

Saint PP

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,133 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 April 2021 - 06:44 AM

you had kinda got my attention with these wacky strains recently and I realized I haven't been keeping up with the good stuff.

I've found that vendor (not a fresh swab you just made) swabs are hard to germinate on agar unless you tear off the cotton hairs and lay it in the agar.

Streaking doesn't seem to germinate on dry swabs. I had bought a few swabs and rubbed them all over like 20 petris of soft MEA each and didnt get a single bit of anything but the torn off cotton germinated just fine.

Hows your agar method?

• Sidestreet, bezevo and MushLuvR like this

#6 sandman

sandman

Saint PP

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,133 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 April 2021 - 06:47 AM

Also where the hell is your "MELMAC TP 'THICK PENIS'" and "MELMAC 118" (I think that's what it's called) and "NUTCRACKER TAT" your collection is weak! haha jk but seriously get that. 

Edited by sandman, 13 April 2021 - 06:50 AM.

• Sidestreet, thafunkyone, ChocolateStarfish and 1 other like this

#7 ChocolateStarfish

ChocolateStarfish

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 267 posts

Posted 19 April 2021 - 10:46 AM

Also where the hell is your "MELMAC TP 'THICK PENIS'" and "MELMAC 118" (I think that's what it's called) and "NUTCRACKER TAT" your collection is weak! haha jk but seriously get that. 

LOL well i don't really care to get the many different varaint of melmac, i hadn't heard of nutcracker tat, sounds interesting and i would love to see them! lol

That actually sounds like an amazing agar method that i may steal to get better germination. What I do i is i prefer a firmer agar recipe, and when i use swabs i stab the agar with the swab and i shove the cotton in only as far as the spores show on the cotton tip. Then i twirl the swab around while it is inside the agar and make sure i really rub it in that hole, and then i take it out and throw it away after i spin the wooden part of it for about 10 seconds. It works pretty well, but it is a method i have literally just adapted this last week to try to maximize my chances of getting growth without having to rip off the cotton like you do.... but i suppose it isn't a horrible idea to do it. I think i'll give it a shot depending on the results or lack there of i see from my current new method:P

I am starting off with just a hand full of grows, right now i am doing 1 albino penis envy grow, 1 Enigma grow, 1 TAT grow, 1 Melmac grow, and 1 Jack Frost  grow(im most excited for this). And then the day after i get the 5 to their FC, I will put all of the others, or at least half of them to grain.... And then i want to save a little bit of grain spawn of each one, and do 1 grow with all of the different strains mixed together. Its gonna be awesome when i get to that part. I am going to get all of them and spawn it all to bulk in a 50 gallon tub, so these guy will have tons of room and its going to be great. The only thing i dont think i will put in there is enigma, because it will take up too much space that could be taken by the fruits.... but then again, maybe the enigma will fill the empty spaces due to this being a mostly MS grow when i do it... Idk we'll see:P

• sandman, adrian118 and MushLuvR like this

#8 sandman

sandman

Saint PP

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,133 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 April 2021 - 11:33 AM

Excited to see your stuff! Any germinations yet?

Man I swear I never had vendor swabs germinate at all by any amount of rubbing, digging in, twirling in a hole or anything. It was driving me bonkers. Fresh swabs that I take myself germinate fine that way but not dried out 6 month old swabs for me.

From what I have seen around, the Melmac TP performs better than the regular Melmac with incredibly large fruits in a shorter time.

#9 ChocolateStarfish

ChocolateStarfish

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 267 posts

Posted 11 May 2021 - 12:39 PM

Excited to see your stuff! Any germinations yet?

Man I swear I never had vendor swabs germinate at all by any amount of rubbing, digging in, twirling in a hole or anything. It was driving me bonkers. Fresh swabs that I take myself germinate fine that way but not dried out 6 month old swabs for me.

From what I have seen around, the Melmac TP performs better than the regular Melmac with incredibly large fruits in a shorter time.

So I have actually gotten germination on a lot of them, but a couple of them came as syringes that seem to have almost no spores in them... also some of the vendors appear to have some shitty sterile teks, as on a few of these, I end up getting more trich than Cubensis mycelium, and by the time I know it is trich, there green spores everywhere inside and I can't open it anymore... I doubt it would be possible to save it with that much of a spore-load surrounding it, anyway.

I currently have several guys almost ready to go into the FC though!!! This includes Smurf, TAT, Jack Frost, Enigma, and Panaeolus Cyanescen Wild Coast. So once I get these guys into the FC, I will start back on retrying everything that didn't make it, or that only made it to a certain stage before becoming to contaminated to save. Still, it should be really cool to see all of these incredibly different looking fungi growing next to each other in the same space.

• sandman, Sidestreet, fahtster and 1 other like this

#10 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 11 May 2021 - 12:54 PM

Did you grab from Reddit? I received some from the top vendor (syringes/swabs). Swabs you can tell if it's going to work. 

Syringes have been absolute horrible. One syringe on 20 plates lead to 1 plate. Sucks, but most vendors are absolute garbage unless they are old school and known. 

• sandman, ChocolateStarfish and MushLuvR like this

#11 sandman

sandman

Saint PP

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,133 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 May 2021 - 10:13 AM

plus the confusing stupid terminology they use . Anybody want a tube sticker hyuck.

• ChocolateStarfish likes this

#12 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 12 May 2021 - 12:25 PM

I got "stickers" from a free contest on there...Biggest vendor, I wish I had a microscope I bet there's 10-100 spores in the sticker I mean syringe.

I walked 3 friends through the process sent them sterilized oats figured this trusted vendor would allow all the reddit newbies to go straight to grain or uncle bens as they love to do...They all failed I never worked that hard to get cube myc before...

So word of warning for anyone reading and considering reddit genetics/spores. If your quality for a free give-away is that fucking terrible, why would anyone pay for your overpriced water and syringes?

• ChocolateStarfish likes this

#13 cflashor

cflashor

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 55 posts

Posted 12 May 2021 - 06:14 PM

why would anyone pay for your overpriced water and syringes?

because reddit ;/

• rockyfungus likes this

#14 ChocolateStarfish

ChocolateStarfish

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 267 posts

Posted 24 May 2021 - 12:36 AM

Did you grab from Reddit? I received some from the top vendor (syringes/swabs). Swabs you can tell if it's going to work. 

Syringes have been absolute horrible. One syringe on 20 plates lead to 1 plate. Sucks, but most vendors are absolute garbage unless they are old school and known. 

LOL OHMYGOD, this is so funny to hear other people say the same thing, I dont buy their "tube stickers" (why tf aren't they just called a spore syringe?) 

I bought 4 "tube stickers" and those are the 2 strains that I could not get any growth out of what-so-ever. I had 2 Yeti, and 2 Ghost. They are both albino mutations that look very much like albino Penis Envys... but I can't get shit out of them. It really looks like it is just full of water, I am almost certain there is nothing else in there. I should be able to put a drop onto agar and see growth at some point... I should be able to inject it into grain and see growth at some point, but no. admittedly, I really didn't try as hard as i could have by any means, kind of out of frustration out of the simple fact that I was upset that I would need to try so hard to get growth on a syringe I payed as much as I did. It was made even more frustrating that these were the most expensive "stickers" that i had purchased from reddit. I really had no idea what a "tube sticker" was but all the rest of the time that i ordered a 'sticker' I got a swab, and so i was hoping for that, and got water instead... God I despise some aspects of reddit... but then the other day, i found a guy in australia asking for an ID for a mushroom that was clearly either Zapotecorum or Hoogashenii var. Hoogashenii, due to it have a decently pronounced and thin nipple, it was growing in a very mossy location, which both species are known to do, and the intense bluing of the stems. He agreed to send me a print, and now, I am currently awaiting a wild print of possibly the discovery of Psilocybe Hoogashenii in Australia, which is what i really appears to be, but I am going to sequence it and find out after i get a fruit. So Reddit is good for making mycological contacts, kind of like on here... I would say mycotopia is better, but it doesn't have as many users or the popularity, but in terms of quality, mycotopia is where it is at. Which is why i always recommend newbs come to this site if they want to get serious about growing.

• sandman, Sidestreet, ElPirana and 1 other like this

#15 kcmoxtractor

kcmoxtractor

Halloween Terror

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,904 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 May 2021 - 10:39 AM

The mushroom growers subreddit is a horrible echo chamber. I mostly stay away from that sub, I've never learned anything and folks would rather argue for bullshit methods than learn how to do it right and drop their contam rate below 1%.

When I was showing a 500 pound per week grow the comments would devolve into arguments every single time because I don't soak my grain in excess water. Like come on guys, we lose 0.3% and this is my career, why the fuck would I waste my time if it didn't work?

I have enigma if anyone in the US wants a plate.
  • Sidestreet, thafunkyone, cflashor and 3 others like this

#16 thafunkyone

thafunkyone

don't take no shit son!

• OG VIP
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 04 June 2021 - 10:06 PM

I want one ;) I have some killer isolates to fruit- they aren’t all weird ones but there are some greats- just got a killer wombat tat iso that throws monsters, I’m running on Dino soil from twisted tree, they’re close and the price is great on prepasteurized substrates - I don’t have the time or the steam sterilizer set up yet. I’ll put my spot up once it’s all together and I feel comfortable :)

@kcmo holler at yer boy! I spend a lot of time alone :)
  • Sidestreet and ChocolateStarfish like this

#17 thafunkyone

thafunkyone

don't take no shit son!

• OG VIP
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 04 June 2021 - 10:11 PM

Man, sandy, people don’t realize that 20 years ago all these variants just weren’t around. It blows my mind. Half of them are PE variants. The good part is now, if ya poke around a little on IG, you’ll find killer isolates. I’m mostly on there now but I’m trying to come home. Good to see you brother!
  • Sidestreet and ChocolateStarfish like this

#18 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

Digging for Rainbows

• App Administrator
  • 9,087 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 June 2021 - 06:20 AM

What's up Funky!  Great to see you. 

#19 thafunkyone

thafunkyone

don't take no shit son!

• OG VIP
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 01 July 2021 - 11:26 PM

I haven't ran the ones you're talking about sandy, but I'm about to pick up the whole run that he's got- I'm sure you've seen the deal....:) I got some wombat tat on agar that is about to hit some grain for a test run, but I love how people are growing the sporeless varieties long past the veil break and pulling 2-3x the weight as if harvested earlier...I'm a size queen evidently...;)

let me know if you grab the big box he's got, I've got a lot of stuff running right now so I'm trying to get myself to put up my projects...def like to trade...

• Sidestreet likes this

#20 thafunkyone

thafunkyone

don't take no shit son!

• OG VIP
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 01 July 2021 - 11:30 PM

Sidestreet my brother! I'm gonna try to post here more- everytime I come here and post for a week and it falls to the wayside, but I SWEAR it'll be different  this time! haha i got some good projects I'd like to document- the hobby we have is evolving and I'd like to document processes in bulk grows that I'd have loved to have not figured out the hard way....

• Sidestreet and Moonless like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!