Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
* * * * - 2 votes

About to embark on my first agar adventure.

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 312 posts

Posted 12 April 2021 - 08:17 PM

I'm excited.
Tonight I mix up my first agar cups.

Gotta take a shower.. Covered in itchy insulation. And then I am set to begin my journey into a whole new realm of magical mushroom mastery.

And when I'm done in gonna sit back with a nice cup o tea made from 3g of saved aborts and small funny caps.
  • Sidestreet, UnHeisenbug, Frost and 1 other like this

#2 coAsTal

coAsTal

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 356 posts

Posted 12 April 2021 - 08:37 PM

You will never look back my friend-- REAL mycology begins with agar :hug:

• Frost and MushLuvR like this

#3 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 312 posts

Posted 12 April 2021 - 08:55 PM

Ok. Here we go.
Im gonna try potato flakes and karo for my mix.
12g potato flake 8g agar and 4g karo mixed into 2 cups water. I bought some ketchup cups for my plates.

Got 5 strains to play with. This is gonna be fun.

I love science experiments!!!!
  • jrh likes this

#4 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 312 posts

Posted 12 April 2021 - 09:50 PM

Ist mistake aka lesson 1

Don't pour mix into already boiling water. It clumped instantly and no matter how much I stirred it wouldn't mix in all the way

.20210412_211916.jpg

Remeasured the mix and stirred it in while it was still cool and now were building pressure and prepping the celebratory tea.
  • Sidestreet likes this

#5 HrVanker

HrVanker

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 439 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 April 2021 - 10:25 PM

If you have a little extra cash, I highly recommend a heated stir plate. I got one on Amazon for around $60 and it's great for this sort of thing. I just turn on the heat and stirring, pour everything in and wait for it to boil/dissolve.
  • sandman, Sidestreet, Arathu and 2 others like this

#6 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 312 posts

Posted 12 April 2021 - 11:47 PM

Haha. Mission complete. Celebratory tea is down. And it's dumping snow outside!!# what the [email protected]#& chuck? But it's gonna be a cool walk through the woods once this tea is fully engaged.

I took some pics. So I will try to update as the shrooms settle into my brain.

Lesson 2 tonight. Wear your oven mitts when opening PC! And for those of you who chimed in on my PC questions. Thank you. I taped 3 quarters to my weight and it hovered nicely at 16psi. Whoa....here come the vision wobbles. Better hurry.

20210412_225452~2.jpg
Right outta the PC

20210412_231143~2.jpg
15 min later. Cool enough to not melt the cups.

20210412_231459~2.jpg
I tried to oven pour with the oven at 250. Little tender on the steam burn.... But it worked

20210412_232405~2.jpg
And whallah! 26 agar cups cooling complete with tea which is kickin in really fast.

Now.... Does anyone have a good thought on getting the agar out of the kombucha bottle so I can use it again?
20210412_232728~2.jpg
  • jrh likes this

#7 jrh

jrh

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 581 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 April 2021 - 06:45 AM

Add water, put the lid on loosely, microwave to boiling, tighten the lid, shake, repeat as necessary

Oh, and use oven mitts.

Or you could just boil it in a pot of water.

Edited by jrh, 13 April 2021 - 07:07 AM.

#8 sandman

sandman

That Motherfucker

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,085 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 April 2021 - 07:09 AM

Recommend to don't pour over the oven this is really old tek and if it works you are very lucky. 

Still air box (tote with 2 arm holes, upside down with no lid over a table) is a much better solution. 

Also PDA is subpar compared to MEA is my experience. Thin whispy growth always for me, I don't understand why anyone uses it. 

To keep the glass clean you have to pour it all out when still  hot. I leave the jar upside down after I pour my plates. Then a soapy hot water soak and shake with some bottle brush.

Stir plates are cool. But what really improves agar easily is a stick blender, immersion blender, hand blender whatever you want to call it. Add agar and LME (whatever) to the cold water and after it simmers hit it with the stick blender for 30 seconds and you will have the best agar clarity ever. No undissolved bits.

Edited by sandman, 13 April 2021 - 07:24 AM.

• Sidestreet and PaceArrow like this

#9 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 312 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 11:06 AM

Im sure I will try other recipes and other methods over time. But for my first learning experience these were easy to find materials.

Quick ?

Do I store my clean plate samples in the fridge?

#10 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 975 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 11:08 AM

Only store in fridge if you won't be able to use for a moment.

Mine sit wherever temperature is most stable, as condensation will form if the temperature fluctuates. (I keep mine in a spare fridge that isn't turned on)

• FLASHINGROOSTER and Oldpunk like this

#11 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 312 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 11:33 AM

Only store in fridge if you won't be able to use for a moment.
Mine sit wherever temperature is most stable, as condensation will form if the temperature fluctuates. (I keep mine in a spare fridge that isn't turned on)

Sweet! Thanks. I've got one of those. An old mini fridge that was stored in the garage too many years so it doesn't refrigerate any more.
They will only be sitting long enough to see what grows in a week. I'm gonna make some jars up tonight to start from syringe and bring in the glove box so I can start my first plates.
  • rockyfungus and jrh like this

#12 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 312 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 11:41 AM

If you have a little extra cash, I highly recommend a heated stir plate. I got one on Amazon for around $60 and it's great for this sort of thing. I just turn on the heat and stirring, pour everything in and wait for it to boil/dissolve.

Will keep in mind. Im gonna try to expand my grow area this summer and build a secret lab/lair. I would like to have it set up well enough to not use my kitchen. Having to clean up and hide everything each time is doable. But a secret lab would be cooler.

#13 sandman

sandman

That Motherfucker

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,085 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 April 2021 - 01:13 PM

it's not a good idea to store unused plates in the fridge, you want to see any contams grow on it before you use it not have your cool transfer ruined by a surprise contam that was actually there all along just hadn't grown out yet.

• PJammer24 and rockyfungus like this

#14 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 975 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 09:00 PM

I store in fridge when I make way too many plates and won't get to them within 2 months or so. Typically i'll let 'em thaw out for a few weeks before use.

Though plates that have sat at room temperature for perhaps a month were still viable too.

What is the shelf life on poured agar?

• MushLuvR likes this

#15 sandman

sandman

That Motherfucker

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,085 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 April 2021 - 09:45 PM

Sealed in a bag should be good for many months at room temp. It's just drying out that is the concern.

• Arathu, jrh and MushLuvR like this

#16 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 312 posts

Posted 15 April 2021 - 06:02 AM

Good to know. Found a nice box that fits the cups in it perfectly. It'll be interesting to see how this all works out. Had a busy couple of nights preparing jars and agar cups, hopefully I've got something to show for it in a few days.

#17 sandman

sandman

That Motherfucker

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,085 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 April 2021 - 08:20 AM

They need to be airtight in a "small air" environment to not dry out. Like a ziplock bag that has the air pushed out knowwhatimean. 

Edited by sandman, 15 April 2021 - 08:20 AM.

• Oldpunk likes this

#18 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 312 posts

Posted 18 April 2021 - 04:18 PM

After a few days there are spots starting to grow out. With how many times I checked it seems like longer. It's like watching your first cake for the first pins to show.

Started 9 samples from spore syringe and LC and tried 2 clones from cambodians

20210418_155957.jpg 20210418_161242.jpg

They're only the size of a pencil eraser after 3? Days but my house is only 65 deg trying to keep track of growth and I will mix a batch from malt extract and try the same run to see how they compare.
  • Sidestreet likes this

#19 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 312 posts

Posted 20 April 2021 - 11:38 PM

After 5 or 6 days.....i really shoulda dated them. A few samples look ok. These are from the KSSS liquid culture made from one of the first prints I made. And a clone from the Cambodians. The samples from spore syringe are still lagging. But showing a little.
It's been really cold here (im having heat issues) so it's only been in the 50-60deg range all week. But even so they are finally doing something and I'm not seeing obvious contamination and a few more days I might try to transfer to a clean plate with a couple of these.

I really want to get a good strain out of these koh samui. I only got about 5g the first time and I'm looking forward to a 2nd shot at them.

20210420_231831.jpg 20210420_231804.jpg 20210420_231738.jpg

#20 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 312 posts

Posted 20 April 2021 - 11:41 PM

Zooming didn't work super good. This clone is a fuzzy little beast. This really is a cool new aspect to this hobby.

20210420_231738~2.jpg
  • rockyfungus and Frost like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!