Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
* * * * - 2 votes

About to embark on my first agar adventure.

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#41 sandman

sandman

Saint PP

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,133 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 May 2021 - 08:51 AM

It's not about you it's about anyone reading this thinking that is a way to do it.

I don't care that you don't listen to me I am most used to it. It/'s for the other readers. No disrespect intended.

I just have to say something when I see something because I'm very experienced with this, you understand.

Using an oven as a makeshift reverse flowhood is not a sound method.

Edited by sandman, 06 May 2021 - 09:29 AM.

#42 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 529 posts

Posted 06 May 2021 - 06:25 PM

It's not about you it's about anyone reading this thinking that is a way to do it.

I don't care that you don't listen to me I am most used to it. It/'s for the other readers. No disrespect intended.

I just have to say something when I see something because I'm very experienced with this, you understand.

Using an oven as a makeshift reverse flowhood is not a sound method.

Hey man. Also certainly no disrespect as I do appreciate the input of those with more experience than me. Your comments have been dually noted. Im just one of them people who have to try it and screw it up myself. I've got a ton of these prints and this is fully an experimental learning experience considering I've already got more of these mushrooms than I know what to with. I've received a few prints from generous members and will probably start those in a no pour jar since I've only got one print to work with.

So no worries Sandman. No offense taken with none intended, and if I made a smart ass reply....its cuz im an old smart ass punk.

I try to make it clear that i do things incorrectly because that's how I personally learn. If I'm told something is wrong I need to try it so I can find out WHY it's wrong.

And much respect to those who came before me and laid down their knowledge for us plebians to follow.
  • sandman likes this

#43 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 529 posts

Posted 08 May 2021 - 09:42 AM

Took a peek at the 3 agar infused grain jars today. Think I shook them 2 nights ago. Maybe 3?

20210508_093542~2.jpg

I've got a tester jar experiment I wanna try, but between work and family I just haven't had time..
  • Arathu and YoshiTrainer like this

#44 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 529 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 01:35 AM

Decided to start the tester jar experiment. I've been overrun with agar cups already and thought I'd try making test jars directly from my sample cups.

I filled some tall jelly jars with about 1/3 bird seed and then added a sample of the different sectors on my plates. I transferred and labeled the same samples to new agar plates as well.
Hoping to mix in some sub and see if these fruit small scale to see which ones I want to clone or start larger jars of.

20210509_233459.jpg 20210509_234540~2.jpg
  • Sidestreet and rockyfungus like this

#45 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

Digging for Rainbows

• App Administrator
  • 8,965 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 May 2021 - 03:17 AM

I'm surprised you didn't get yourself a glovebox that's rated for infant storage.

Otherwise, good plan with the testers.

• cflashor and UnHeisenbug like this

#46 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,121 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 07:34 AM

Sorry couldn't resist. 

"I don't need you to tell me how fucking good my coffee is, okay? I'm the one who buys it. I know how good it is. When Bonnie goes shopping she buys SHIT. I buy the gourmet expensive stuff because when I drink it I want to taste it. But you know what's on my mind right now? It AIN'T the coffee in my kitchen, it's the dead infant in my still air box"

Edited by rockyfungus, 10 May 2021 - 07:35 AM.

• Sidestreet likes this

#47 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 529 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 08:23 AM

Storing dead infants AINT my fuckin business Jules!

Ha!
I'm a movie quote guy myself. No worries.

I hope these work out. But if they don't...meh. I just started thinking about how many isolates I already have split and how many full size quart jars of grain that was gonna be just to test grow them and see if they any good.

It would be Nice if the test jars could produce a few grams of dried shrooms each so a guy could try out the same dosage from each to gauge strain potency. That way I could save the mind melters and toss the rest.
  • Sidestreet and rockyfungus like this

#48 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 529 posts

Posted 11 May 2021 - 05:26 PM

Not sure how many days since I transferred to lower sugar/ potato mix. But it's definitely growing slower and somewhat less fuzzy growth.

20210511_170221.jpg 20210511_170230.jpg

Tried backlighting the Cambodian clone.

20210511_170411.jpg 20210511_170437.jpg

And of 60 cups this is 3rd obvious contamination.

20210511_170520.jpg
  • Sidestreet likes this

#49 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,121 posts

Posted 11 May 2021 - 06:20 PM

Covering with saran wrap or parafilm? Edges may contaminate from a bad seal on lid.

Still got so much room to make a transfer away from that slime. 

Edited by rockyfungus, 11 May 2021 - 06:20 PM.

• Sidestreet likes this

#50 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

Digging for Rainbows

• App Administrator
  • 8,965 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 May 2021 - 04:57 AM

3 / 60 = 5% contam rate = not bad at all!

• rockyfungus likes this

#51 sandman

sandman

Saint PP

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,133 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 May 2021 - 07:09 AM

To me 100% of your plates look like contamination. Intermeshed mold or invisible bacteria. 

If it aint flat it's whack, that's what mama told me.

You will enjoy the success of agar if you tighten up your aseptic tek. (stop pouring over the oven)

Edited by sandman, 13 May 2021 - 07:23 AM.

• rockyfungus likes this

#52 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,121 posts

Posted 13 May 2021 - 07:20 AM

Glad you said this. That was my thoughts a while back...

That's fuzzier then I'm used to. If you are confident that the plate is clean. Just squeeze the plastic and let the whole puck drop into some grain. 

Oldpunk, had any success growing it out? Just looks like a white mold to me, doesn't need to be rhizomorphic, but something just feels off. 

https://mycotopia.ne...-1620771758.jpg

The picture on right looks "best"; I'd transfer from like 3-6 o'clock, but as you make your way around the clock I really can't discern if you have myc/mold. 

Edited by rockyfungus, 13 May 2021 - 07:23 AM.

#53 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 529 posts

Posted 13 May 2021 - 07:54 AM

Really? 100% bad? That's a rather pessimistic diagnosis. I thought I was doing alright.

The first grain jars I plopped a puck into are finished colonizing now. I was just contemplating whether to make them into Ziploc bags or try a couple shoebox tubs. I'd have to get a spot ready for shoeboxes as I disassembled my grow corner.

20210513_073811~2.jpg

So this weekend I plan to spawn these out somehow.

I am planning on starting a dozen no pour jars with an MEA mix next week also. I wanted to get started on a couple o those prints you sent . I will also transfer some samples from these to check the growth difference.

I might actually start the new prints on MEA and and try a round of PDA no pours also to check the growth differences
  • rockyfungus likes this

#54 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 529 posts

Posted 13 May 2021 - 08:10 AM

Edited by Oldpunk, 13 May 2021 - 08:12 AM.

#55 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

Digging for Rainbows

• App Administrator
  • 8,965 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 May 2021 - 07:19 PM

To me 100% of your plates look like contamination. Intermeshed mold or invisible bacteria. 

If it aint flat it's whack, that's what mama told me.

You will enjoy the success of agar if you tighten up your aseptic tek. (stop pouring over the oven)

It's true that none of those look like any example of good growth on agar I've ever seen.  Why are they so fuzzy or dissipate?  But if the oven tek is really contaminating them, why aren't there way more obvious competitor mold colonies like in the one picture?

I kind of wonder if those cups seal up TOO good and the mycelium isn't getting enough air.

I guess the proof will be in the pudding (can you fruit the resulting spawn and will the fruits be healthy?)

• sandman and rockyfungus like this

#56 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 529 posts

Posted 13 May 2021 - 07:52 PM

Fair enough. I agree they're not perfect. This is my first go at it and it's all a learning experience. Somewhere in the archive i read the fuzzy growth could be from too much fuel in the mix. So I tried a thinner mix. And next I will try a new recipe and a new method and one of these days I will find the one that works and probably stick to it (or maybe just try something else imperfect and contam prone just to see what happens) simply cuz it's fun to try.

I'm mixing up shoeboxes and gonna spawn the 3 jars this weekend. So I guess we will see. If they don't work I can try it differently.
  • Sidestreet likes this

#57 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

Digging for Rainbows

• App Administrator
  • 8,965 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 May 2021 - 04:18 AM

Right, it's all a learning.  Just keep showing up--you'll have fruits soon I have no doubt.

#58 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 529 posts

Posted 14 May 2021 - 08:25 AM

I like how you threw the AA motto in there...

I got fruits. This is just my first foray into starting agar plates. Searching for what works for me. I hope no one thinks im selling my results as GOOD I'm just documenting all my bad results so I can remember what I did.

Do y'all remember the first time you grew your own shrooms? Even half assed results are exciting. It's totally new n unknown and if you ask me, the best way to learn about contamination is to do things wrong and get some hands on experience with the results. You can't have a perfect technique on your maiden voyage unless your a robot. You got to bollocks it all up and learn from the mistakes.

Edited by Oldpunk, 14 May 2021 - 08:26 AM.

• rockyfungus likes this

#59 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,121 posts

Posted 14 May 2021 - 09:39 AM

I've been trying to figure out myself if a better sealed plate leads to the myc reaching for air, we'd be seeing a lot of aerial myc.  Really no way to know without giving it the old sniff I suppose. 

How quickly did your jars colonize?

#60 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 529 posts

Posted 14 May 2021 - 03:29 PM

I've been trying to figure out myself if a better sealed plate leads to the myc reaching for air, we'd be seeing a lot of aerial myc.  Really no way to know without giving it the old sniff I suppose. 
How quickly did your jars colonize?

Today would be 2 weeks. I gave them a shake halfway through. Im gonna try one as a Ziploc. And I'm trying to get a grow space prepared for a couple shoebox tubs.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!