Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
* * * * - 2 votes

About to embark on my first agar adventure.

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#81 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 529 posts

Posted 19 May 2021 - 08:30 PM

And a Cambodian clone that overgrew it's cup. It's climbed almost all the way to the lid.

20210519_194336.jpg

I just spawned the grain jar this sample came from
  • Sidestreet and Arathu like this

#82 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 20 May 2021 - 06:59 AM

AA+ never is always wispy when I worked with it. Sometimes you just gotta move to grain even if you aren't getting that desired myc look. 

Don't forget about a fridge to slow projects down. 

Edited by rockyfungus, 20 May 2021 - 06:59 AM.

#83 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 529 posts

Posted 24 May 2021 - 09:34 PM

Finally got an evening to play in the kitchen. So I made a batch of MEA to try out. Couldn't find my charcoal So maybe next time. So far I've been playing and learning off my own prints but let's see if I can bring some gifted ones to life.

20210524_213220~2.jpg

Thanks guys. Let's see if I can make them grow.
  • Sidestreet, YoshiTrainer and rockyfungus like this

#84 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 529 posts

Posted 24 May 2021 - 11:28 PM

Found 2 more cups with obvious outside contamination. So im up to 5 of 60?

Or was it 60 of 5?

Either way. I threw in some more oven cups today just for kicks.

20210524_232217.jpg

#85 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 529 posts

Posted 03 June 2021 - 10:21 PM

Sweeeeeet!

The PE swab and Natalensis are both showing growth . @rockyfungus I tried some little 2 sided Tupperware snack tray things like you had. But mine are absolute hell to see through. I need to try and find some like you got that are more transparent. But out of 4 different containers they seem to be doing the best for germination.

The PE swab didn't do much where I just rubbed it to the agar. But I disinfected a tweezers and pulled some strands loose and those are showing some growth.

The natalensis is slowly taking off in the no pour jars and oven cups, but there's at least half a dozen good germination points in the large snack tray. Now if I could just see through it better.

So. No pics. Even though I think I might wait til after first transfer grows a bit to take pics since it mostly looks like a mess until then. And so far my grades are crap. Nothing worse than failing an elective class. Anyone else take intro to bowling in college?

That's If I can even get a good pic through the jars. Might just have to step it up and get some Petri dishes....i really do like being able to see what's happening.
  • Sidestreet, YoshiTrainer and rockyfungus like this

#86 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 04 June 2021 - 08:25 AM

PE is kinda slow and sometimes thinner then I like compared to other cubes. 

Yeah my visibility in most of my "petri's" are shit. I just know how long it should take and what I'm looking for. I usually give it a better inspection in the SAB before I transfer.

I really dig this set, just for cost alone.

https://www.walmart....-46PK/187096652

Visibility isn't awful, I can fit 2-4 transfers per "plate". Here's my way of staying organized...Further back and most grown out are my germ plates rest are T1s and T2s on very bottom. Red boys, KSSS, PE, and AA+, hoping to weed out 1-2 plates of each "strain"

agars.JPG

Edited by rockyfungus, 04 June 2021 - 08:32 AM.

• YoshiTrainer likes this

#87 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 529 posts

Posted 04 June 2021 - 09:11 AM

The dollar store had 6 of these on clearance for 50 cents so I tried them. Really nice to spread the spores out and get several growth areas to choose from. The lids warped a little bit when I pc'd them but they still shut..

20210604_085342.jpg

When I checked these last night I also cleaned out all my old samples. Saved the best ones and I bought some test tubes to make slants and try to save one culture each in the fridge. Im waiting on my first clones and isolates now. Will be interesting to see how they differ from a spore syringe grow.
  • rockyfungus likes this

#88 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 04 June 2021 - 09:22 AM

Those "sandwich" containers are nice, but you'll notice any issues with sterility quickly. I used to get a bacterial spot where my hand was resting over the large surface. 

I just want reusability and low cost, don't need clarity. I see 2 years of using the same containers has scapel marks and the plastic lost it's clarity from bleach/cleaning agents. Most of my lids are unmodified too. 

#89 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 529 posts

Posted 05 June 2021 - 08:17 PM

Ok.

I tried to hold off. But I just checked on my new agar attempts and had to take a pic of the germ plates.

20210605_200916.jpg 20210605_200936.jpg

PE swab and Natalensis spores.
I also did no pour jars and snack trays, but these you can see through. The others have similar growth
  • Sidestreet and YoshiTrainer like this

#90 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 529 posts

Posted 11 June 2021 - 08:43 PM

Tonight I made the 1st transfers on the PE and Natalensis. Really is pretty fun to play with. All my germination plates seemed to grow well. It'll be cool to see what transfers grow out like.

Few days ago I tried using a torched tweezer to pull out samples to clone from the 2 fruits that grew before my Ziploc bag stalled out. One was tall and pale, and the other one short and fat. Looks like they took to the agar ok. It was definitely easier than using an xacto knife.

20210611_202530.jpg 20210611_202543.jpg
  • YoshiTrainer likes this

#91 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 529 posts

Posted 15 June 2021 - 06:49 PM

Haven't been documenting the continued agar learning curve too much. Took some transfers of the PE and Natalensis and put the germ plates to grain jars. Decided to take whack at needle biopsy. And I put my agar sample jars to fruiting.
  • Sidestreet and Lizzynowhere like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!