• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#1 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 304 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 08:57 AM

I've been following the r/shrooms on Reddit and came across this intriguing method of growing/harvesting shrooms. Thought everyone would be interested in a look-see. I'm gonna try it on my upcoming F+ grow. It serves as both a microclimate and harvesting method. Lay the cloth on top after spawning the sub.

https://www.reddit.c...mand_and_yes_i/

• fahtster, EYMAIOS, Microbe and 9 others like this

#2 tinman3913

tinman3913

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 28 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 09:44 AM

Bloody brilliant! You suppose they just reapply the cheesecloth in between flushes? (My connection only permitted my watching the first 10 seconds or so)

#3 Moonless

Moonless

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 916 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 April 2021 - 04:50 PM

Soo easy! I bet it would work really well for oysters too!

#4 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 304 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 05:59 PM

Bloody brilliant! You suppose they just reapply the cheesecloth in between flushes? (My connection only permitted my watching the first 10 seconds or so)

She says in the following comments that she composts the cloth, whatever that means, but she does reapply it after dunking. No reason why you couldn't put new on it after spritzing with iso.

#5 sandman

sandman

Saint PP

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,133 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 April 2021 - 09:26 PM

Pulling it off must be a very satisfying experience. Kinda arousing. 

I wonder if they sterilize the cloth or what?

It certainly leaves a clean surface. I usually am too lazy to really get in here and harvest the little aborts and stuff and they can rot and mess up next flushes.

Could make a kick ass mummy with the left overs. 

#6 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 304 posts

Posted 15 April 2021 - 12:33 AM

She doesn't sterilize the cloth , just sprays with iso and let's dry before applying to the sub. She also uses a light weight weave, nothing dense. I imagine you could use like 3 layers and peel one with each flush if you're careful. You can peel the whole layer or just harvest the ripe ones. Lots of pluses to this TEK.

#7 sandman

sandman

Saint PP

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,133 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 April 2021 - 08:28 AM

I see. That is an interesting tek. You gonna try it out soon? I'm interested to see some more.

#8 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 304 posts

Posted 15 April 2021 - 10:54 AM

I see. That is an interesting tek. You gonna try it out soon? I'm interested to see some more.

I've got some F+ rye colonizing right now, maybe a week before it's ready to spawn and ya I'm gonna put cheesecloth on it. I'll probably continue with the F+ grow here rather than post on the Thai thread I've been posting to. Seems like the right thing to do... I'll make sure to add pix to the posts as it progresses although no pix until the sub is fully colonized, too many problems with trich to risk it...

Please everyone, remember I'm not the originator of this Tek, I only brought it to your attention.

Edited by FunnyFarmer, 15 April 2021 - 11:02 AM.

• sandman, PJammer24, bezevo and 1 other like this

#9 jrh

jrh

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 583 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 April 2021 - 12:24 PM

Lol, you know what happens to the messenger.

#10 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 304 posts

Posted 15 April 2021 - 01:11 PM

Lol, you know what happens to the messenger.

I wasn't (sic) hoping you would pick up on that...  Actually I want to make sure that credit goes to the originator and not me.

Edited by FunnyFarmer, 15 April 2021 - 01:14 PM.

#11 sandman

sandman

Saint PP

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,133 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 April 2021 - 06:06 PM

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47sbzevzdpntrnqtgxc1

• WoodenMushroom and FunnyFarmer like this

#12 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,598 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 April 2021 - 08:21 AM

I look forward to seeing how this works out for you! Could really make harvesting relatively painless!

#13 jrh

jrh

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 583 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 April 2021 - 09:24 AM

She also uses a light weight weave, nothing dense. I imagine you could use like 3 layers and peel one with each flush if you're careful.

I imagine using multiple layers would be equivalent to using a denser weave. That's how people use cheesecloth for filtering in cooking -- multiple layers on top of each other.

#14 ElPirana

ElPirana

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 935 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 April 2021 - 10:13 AM

This is really cool.

I’m curious, if the tub contaminates, would the contamination hide under the cheesecloth making a delayed ID?

#15 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 304 posts

Posted 16 April 2021 - 08:40 PM

This is really cool.

I’m curious, if the tub contaminates, would the contamination hide under the cheesecloth making a delayed ID?

I kinda doubt it, the spores/mold settles on the surface to start a contam, unless the sub was contaminated in the first place... This is an opinion from a relative noob so keep that in mind, I've been at this for less than a year but have learned so much. My particular nemesis is trich and more that likely is a result of a snap on lid during spawning. I'm gonna use saran wrap on the upcoming grow to see if that excludes the contam. I'll also be spawning the sub either outside or in my shop, not in the house..

#16 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 304 posts

Posted 21 April 2021 - 09:36 PM

I ended up tossing one of the qt jars of rye, it was showing no signs of life even after adding another cc of spore juice. Opened it up to smell and the odor of fresh bread greeted my nose. Oh well. Now I'm debating whether to use one of the pt jars for a G2G to make up for the loss or just adjust the sub to sqawn ratio to keep it in line with the 3:1 ratio.

My nephew and I are doing a rye start this weekend and thinking about using some of the older syringes on pts for future projects. Nock them up and let them mostly colonize then into the fridge for long term storage, like 6 months or more. Then when ready do a G2G.

Edited by FunnyFarmer, 21 April 2021 - 09:41 PM.

#17 MaharishiTohotoho

MaharishiTohotoho

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 April 2021 - 09:37 PM

Wow I just typed this entire fucking response and accidentally deleted it. Lesson fucking learned- will be writing these cocksuckers elsewhere first.

I saw this when it was first posted on reddit. It got my brain thinking right away. It seems the fiber exterior would provide a fiber network in which mycelia threads could grow more healthily. Secondly it seems this barrier would provide a layer of protection for the substrate beneath. What happens once a contam pierces this veil I am interested in seeing. Could be the same as usual- but there is always unknowns with new techniques. I would think the best fiber would balance the “tightness” needed to block out contams while also being “loose” enough to allow mycelia to healthily grow.

I have been doing a ton of research into different fiber types and this seems to be the best peer reviewed source for our needs.

https://aip.scitatio....1063/1.4945976

I will let each draw their own conclusions on the best fiber type. What really intrigues me is the possibility of a brand new “double sided” tek. Me and my partner have been discussing this for last two weeks. We will suspend the substrate between two pieces of fiber within our clean room. Using lights isolated to shine only on bottom and top we will induce growth from bottom and top of substrate.  

We are also thinking that if we perfect this technique, we may be able to pull substrate from lined monotubs after the first flush and grow from the bottom to pull the excess nutrients from there.

ALSO The substrate would be more condensed/compact/tight after first flush and we could grow from 4 sides possibly?

It is all a bit overkill- however for bulk commercial grows this could be a great way to use up every last bit of your substrate’s nutrients.

Another technique we have been discussing is making substrate “balls” and suspending them with  cloth/fiber to allow 360 degree growth but this seems to be a pipe dream.  

Thoughts? We are both extremely new to mushrooms

Edited by MaharishiTohotoho, 21 April 2021 - 09:39 PM.

#18 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 304 posts

Posted 22 April 2021 - 10:38 PM

While texting with my nephew last night another type of "cloth" came to mind that might work, plastic canvas. It's a sheet of semi-flexible plastic with a gridwork of small square holes, you can get it at Wally-world in the craft dept. The idea is to lay it on the sub after spawning and let the shrooms grow through similar to the cheesecloth. It would take a little more precise surface prep but then when it comes time to harvest get out the putty knife and ... zip!

Am I nuts or ?...?...?

• bezevo and MaharishiTohotoho like this

#19 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 22 April 2021 - 11:06 PM

I've had mush grow through the cloth wall of cloth bags with substrate. To be honest I wanted the fruits to grow out of the substrate, but they sidepinned...fuckers were attached real good to that cloth bag. 

So yes a cloth or even canvas wrapped substrate will in fact work, I've never set forth to accomplish this. No clue if they will digest canvas or those type of materials, but they definitely scaffold off of them. 

Edited by rockyfungus, 22 April 2021 - 11:07 PM.

• MaharishiTohotoho likes this

#20 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 304 posts

Posted 22 April 2021 - 11:39 PM

This is a different kind of canvas, not cloth based at all.

DSC01726 (Small).JPG

I have no idea why they called it canvas cause it looks more like a heavy duty screen  Anyways I'm thinking about using cheesecloth on half the sub and this stuff on the other half. Could be an interesting experiment. And which is faster to harvest from... I've got my money on the plastic.

Edited by FunnyFarmer, 22 April 2021 - 11:42 PM.

• bezevo and MaharishiTohotoho like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!