• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#41 PaceArrow

PaceArrow

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 75 posts

Posted 11 May 2021 - 06:47 PM

I was going to post that very advice last night but forgot to. One of those nights... Did the sub form those rows while colonizing? Can't say I've ever seen that before but I haven't seen it all when it comes to shrooms. I assume you laid the c cloth flat to the sub when you prepped it... The sub on the shrooms c cloth reddit page didn't have that formation on the sub when she harvested.

When you start seeing the first pins it's time for FAE and light.

When I was prepping the cheesecloth I first sprayed it with IPA and dried it. During the drying I noticed it showed a tendency to form rows. However when I laid the cloth on the substrate surface I flattened it out without any rows visible. I think as the substrate has colonized more fully and shrunk, it has drawn up the cheesecloth with it and those rascally rows reasserted themselves. 

When you say to start FAE and light after seeing the first pins, you mean pins on either the side or the main surface, as in yes it is now time for me to begin fruiting conditions? 

Edited by PaceArrow, 11 May 2021 - 06:58 PM.

#42 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 280 posts

Posted 12 May 2021 - 07:40 AM

Yes, as in when you see the first pins. Delaying fruiting conditions could lead to over colonization of the surface and problems getting pins started.

#43 PaceArrow

PaceArrow

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 75 posts

Posted 12 May 2021 - 02:47 PM

I took a close look at the substrate just now and I don't think the mycelium has grown through the cheesecloth enough for this to be a viable situation for fruiting. There is one small shroom in the main part of the substrate that is trying to push up through the cloth. Thats it for the main substrate. The only other shrooms growing are tiny ones along the edge. 

So what to do now - do I peel the cheesecloth off and case the substrate with sterile coir, or is this just simply a failed experiment (but a valuable learning experience)? No more cheesecloth for me! Dangit. 

IMG_1675.jpeg     IMG_1676.jpeg

#44 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 280 posts

Posted 12 May 2021 - 04:38 PM

There's gotta be more to this TEK than meets the eye, maybe need to go through all the comments posted on that thread to dig out the juicy tidbits. Give it some more time to see what it does. It seems you did everything else right otherwise.

#45 PaceArrow

PaceArrow

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 75 posts

Posted 12 May 2021 - 05:35 PM

There's gotta be more to this TEK than meets the eye, maybe need to go through all the comments posted on that thread to dig out the juicy tidbits. Give it some more time to see what it does. It seems you did everything else right otherwise.

I think the problem is that for some reason the cheesecloth did not continue to lay flat enough on the substrate, so it could not get properly covered over by mycelium. I'll give it some more time as you suggest. Thanks for the encouragement!

#46 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 280 posts

Posted 12 May 2021 - 10:02 PM

After I spawn to sub I'm not inclined to open the lid for anything until I get pins so no chance to make adjustments to the c cloth. The only other thing I can think of to do during setup is lay the c cloth on then heavily mist it to make sure it lays flat on the sub, but not enough to make it soggy. It could have been the brand of c cloth too. Maybe some other members can chime in with ideas/suggestions to this problem... We know it can be done, it's just a matter of teasing out the details.

Edited by FunnyFarmer, 12 May 2021 - 10:03 PM.

• PaceArrow likes this

#47 sandman

sandman

Saint PP

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,133 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 May 2021 - 07:01 AM

It can be done, but should it be done? There are serious pitfalls for practically no benefit. 

• rockyfungus likes this

#48 PaceArrow

PaceArrow

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 75 posts

Posted 13 May 2021 - 01:00 PM

I peeled back a small section of the cheesecloth - turned out there were 3 layers of it - and removal did not damage the substrate surface, so I carefully peeled off the entire thing on both of the tubs. I reckon I'll maintain fruiting conditions and hopefully will start seeing more pins very soon. Though - does the substrate surface mycelium need the protection of a thin casing layer now? I'm new to this so I don't know..

IMG_1735.jpeg

I can understand the appeal of the Cheesecloth Tek but have concluded, like sandman, that the benefits don't outweigh the potential complications that can arise, so I won't be doing it again.. 

Edited by PaceArrow, 13 May 2021 - 05:45 PM.

#49 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 280 posts

Posted 13 May 2021 - 08:56 PM

I haven't put any kind of casing on my tubs except to fill in shroom pivots from harvesting. You've seen the first pins so continue with the fruiting conditions. Maybe part of your problem was too many c cloth layers... I'm gonna continue with my plans for half/half c cloth /plastic canvas incorporating some of my suppositions posed earlier.

#50 PaceArrow

PaceArrow

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 75 posts

Posted 13 May 2021 - 09:22 PM

I haven't put any kind of casing on my tubs except to fill in shroom pivots from harvesting. You've seen the first pins so continue with the fruiting conditions. Maybe part of your problem was too many c cloth layers... I'm gonna continue with my plans for half/half c cloth /plastic canvas incorporating some of my suppositions posed earlier.

When I put the cheesecloth on I though it was just 2 layers, not three - I was probably multitasking at the time. It's fun to experiment for sure and good fortune to you with your plans! Being a total beginner to bulk substrate growing I'm just looking forward to a good basic successful harvest.

#51 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 280 posts

Posted 20 May 2021 - 08:14 AM

I did a G2G transfer of a pint of Florida F+ to two quarts of rye a couple weeks ago and might have some trich contam in one of them and would like opinions please. Except for the bottom one qt is almost fully colonized (I flipped it over to encourage colonization) but the other one...

DSC01743 (Medium).JPG    DSC01744 (Medium).JPG

I've got solid colonization over most of the rye but there is a "frosting" of something else on large portions of the rye that's blocking colonization.and it doesn't look like shroom mycelia. Both qts were done at the same time in a SAB so it's mystifying why one would be fine while the other goes south on me.

With that concern bugging me I decided to do another G2G transfer of another pt of the F+ to two more qts of rye yesterday. I did the same sanitation procedure to the SAB, laid down a clean dish towel in the bottom with a wire rack on top of it, sprayed them and the inside of the SAB down with iso and let sit for well over an hour then did it again half an hour before doing the transfer. Washed my arms down then donned tyvek sleeves and gloves, sprayed both with iso as well as the jars of rye and colonized rye before putting them in the SAB. Any time I had to take my arms out of the box I sprayed before re-inserting.

#52 PaceArrow

PaceArrow

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 75 posts

Posted 20 May 2021 - 11:08 AM

Hi FF, this is the thread that you started about the Cheesecloth Tek - did you mean to post this g2g topic to another thread? Just concerned that you may not get a timely answer when posted here in cheesecloth land...

#53 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 280 posts

Posted 20 May 2021 - 12:41 PM

Hi FF, this is the thread that you started about the Cheesecloth Tek - did you mean to post this g2g topic to another thread? Just concerned that you may not get a timely answer when posted here in cheesecloth land...

This is directly related to the c cloth thread I've got going but point taken.

#54 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 280 posts

Posted 30 May 2021 - 11:39 PM

Just so y'all know I haven't forgotten this thread, it's just that the Florida F+ has been agonizingly slow to colonize. If things go right I'm hoping to spawn in another week. Or so...

I went back to the original c cloth post and got some more answers about the process. The c cloth is sprayed with iso, let dry then laid on sub after leveling the surface after spawning then it's lightly misted in place.

#55 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 280 posts

Posted 06 June 2021 - 06:06 PM

The F+ finally got colonized so my experiment with the c cloth can proceed. It's been in the works since early March. But I'm adding another variation to the mix that already shows promise. I wrote it up on another thread called Viben with the Earth. Oldpunk suggested I need to do separate grows from inoculation to test the idea and I agree but this presents me with the opportunity of doing the second half of the grow cycle. So here's the set up. Each tub will be isolated in different rooms for the sound experiment, one is exposed to normal ambient sounds and the other somewhat isolated in a tent in a quiet room with the CD player with it. Now, a lot of people will disagree with this part cause it introduces another variable into the equation. One tub will have the c cloth over the whole surface and the other will have plastic canvas covering half the surface. I want to see if the plastic canvas works as well as the c cloth. If it doesn't all I gotta do is remove it.

Plastic canvas on half

DSC01745 (Medium).JPG

C cloth

DSC01746 (Medium).JPG

Stay tuned Shroomies...

#56 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 529 posts

Posted 07 June 2021 - 01:07 AM

Nice! I love a good experiment.

Good luck, grow well.

#57 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 280 posts

Posted 11 June 2021 - 11:42 AM

I got a little respite in taking care of the death in the family. For anyone interested in trying the sound tek I'm using I made a file you can download here: https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

There is one caveat with playing this frequency, your speakers need to be able to go down to 30 hz, if not it won't do the shrooms any good.

Edited by FunnyFarmer, 11 June 2021 - 06:03 PM.

#58 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 280 posts

Posted 12 June 2021 - 08:05 PM

The c cloth tub is moving ahead very nicely compared to the other tub with the plastic canvas and music. It barely has anything going on so I discontinued the music and will observe how it behaves.

#59 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 963 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 June 2021 - 12:25 AM

I'm willing to bet the pins push the plastic up instead of growing through it like the cheesecloth.

#60 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 280 posts

Posted 15 June 2021 - 12:44 AM

I'm willing to bet the pins push the plastic up instead of growing through it like the cheesecloth.

I was concerned about that very possibility. So far I'm getting mixed results, some of the mycelia is growing through the plastic like the c cloth and other spots seems to stall at the barrier. Gotta figure out a way to encourage it to grow through... I am getting more mycelia action under the plastic than in the uncovered area. To late now but I could have put bubble wrap on that area. As always thoughts/suggestions are welcome shroomies.

Since stopping the music the mycelia seems to have picked up the pace. Don't know if it was the wrong frequency or a bad idea for after spawning. I'm having a horrible time trying to find a sub woofer that has the capability to play those frequencies without costing an arm and a leg. Again the low frequencies seemed to help with colonizing the grain but needs more studying to verify.

Edited by FunnyFarmer, 15 June 2021 - 12:53 AM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!