• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 newmoon

newmoon

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 375 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 06:04 PM

This information is all already out there, but I thought a concise guide to propagating S. divinorum might be of interest.

Here are the mother plants:

salvias.jpg

Take a cutting about this big. Cut right below a node.

cutting.jpg

Trim off most of the leaves. Just leave a few at the top, and if they're big cut them down as pictured.

trimmed.jpg trimmed_top.jpg

Place the cutting in a jar of distilled, filtered or spring water (I use a reverse osmosis filter). Put the cutting under bright light (direct sunlight is too much though). A humidity dome is not necessary or beneficial, in my experience, as long as you trim the leaves. 75F is a good temperature.

cuttings.jpg

You should see roots forming from the lower nodes within a week or two.

roots.jpg

Once you have roots 1/2" or so in length pot the cutting up. Don't let the soil dry out too much while the cutting is establishing. Within a week or two it should start leafing out and growing again. If the cutting looks sad don't give up! As long as the stem isn't completely squishy there's still a good chance it'll come back.

baby_salvias.jpg

For my soil mix I use

1 part compost or worm poop

1 part coconut coir or pine fines

1/2 part perlite.

I top dress with compost or worm poop now and then and don't otherwise fertilize. If grown indoors a bright window or grow light is necessary; if grown outdoors light shade is best. S. divinorum doesn't like to be moved or overwatered, so don't mess with it more than necessary. This plant will do best in fairly large pots for its size; it doesn't like having its roots restricted. Salvia divinorum is a relatively easy plant to grow if you don't try to do too much to it.

You can take the leaves you trimmed from your cutting as a quid. I like 8 or so large leaves; you may need more or less. Roll them up and chew slowly without swallowing the juices until you're as far as you want to go. A dark, silent room is best.

leaves.jpg quid.jpg

Hope this is helpful to someone!

• Skywatcher, ElPirana, Rac3k and 2 others like this

#2 greenskeeper

greenskeeper

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 161 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 07:20 PM

Nice plants! I'd like to grow some myself. I'll have to wait until next summer to buy a plant.

#3 Norman

Norman

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,029 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 April 2021 - 02:23 AM

Nice write up. I kind of miss salvia craziness.
What sort of experiences have you had with your quads?

#4 Mushinist

Mushinist

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 250 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 April 2021 - 02:50 AM

Thanks for the write up, salvia has got to be one of the easiest plants to propagate. I will be trying for seeds this year myself.

#5 newmoon

newmoon

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 375 posts

Posted 15 April 2021 - 12:10 PM

Norman: it's very hard to describe the salvia experience, isn't it! 8 leaves chewed is enough for me to lose my self and physical reality with eyes closed, and to have strong visuals and physical distortions with eyes open. When quidded the experience can be relatively gentle, but still with a wildness of feeling. Besides visits to "salvia land" I've experience spirit possession on this dose. I've also used it to ask for help with insomnia and some physical ailments, with significant improvement after.

Mushinist: very cool! Will you be using natural day length cycles or doing it with grow lights? I haven't gotten my plants to flower yet, but the climate where I live is extremely harsh, with a short outdoor grow season.

• Mushinist and YoshiTrainer like this

#6 Mushinist

Mushinist

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 250 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 April 2021 - 12:38 PM

I will be doing both methods to hopefully be successful with one.
  • newmoon likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!